Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2011 sonata the front passenger door sometimes won't lock/unlock.

I have the new actuator part with me but can't find exact instructions. Looking for some tips to make the replacement procedure easier.

I did find this video on the previous year Sonatas

at 8:55 mark I'm assuming the setup is the same for the 2011's roughly? The assembly comes out with the (inner) exterior door handle stuff attached to it?

·
Registered
35 Posts

looks like the most complicated parts will be removing rivets on windows regulator and separating lock actuator from window regulator. other than that it seems pretty straight forward.
the door panels are actually quite easy to remove. phillips screw behind door handle and in hand packet thing and the rest is clips.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Follow the instructions in the service manual and do not remove any rivets the window comes out easily if you follow the instructions. That You tube video shows what not to do. There are a few videos out there that show the correct way.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
262 Posts
Wow.. just did one on my 2011 Kia Forte. It was very easy ..remove door panel and then remove the 3 screws at door jam. Disconnect rod from outside door handle. Glad mine wasn't a Sonata. Mine is no way has to remove the window regulator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do NOT remove the rivets! Just pulled out the driver's and passenger's front actuators. Roll the window down so that that the 2 bolts can be seen through the black plastic panel. (There are two rubber plugs. Then loosen those 2 bolts and pull the glass up and out of the door. The plastic panel and pullies are one assembly (window regulator).

Trust me, I just made this mistake and spend wayyy too much time repairing the regulator and replacing rivets with bolts/screws.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do NOT remove the rivets! Just pulled out the driver's and passenger's front actuators. Roll the window down so that that the 2 bolts can be seen through the black plastic panel. (There are two rubber plugs. Then loosen those 2 bolts and pull the glass up and out of the door. The plastic panel and pullies are one assembly (window regulator).

Trust me, I just made this mistake and spend wayyy too much time repairing the regulator and replacing rivets with bolts/screws.
Follow the instructions in the service manual and do not remove any rivets the window comes out easily if you follow the instructions. That You tube video shows what not to do. There are a few videos out there that show the correct way.
yup I read not to remove the rivets, only loosen the two screws (after removing the two rubber covers for the access holes). Then the window can be pulled up and taped up right?

I found some images from a video online..This is from a HYUNDAI i30 though

Then afterwards, you loosen the three torx screws on the door lock, then the 1 screw for the door handle.

Then the door handle slides off, then there is another screw underneath the door handle right?

Afterwards the entire actuator can come out with the black panel attached to it? Is it just attached by white plastic clips on the interior portion of the door?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You really need a service manual to do this. Every thing is connected to the inner door panel so to get it out you have to remove the plastic in front of the window then the glass then the outside door handle and then remove the screws for latch itself. You don't have to remove it all the way, just enough to disconnect the lock actuator from the panel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really need a service manual to do this. Every thing is connected to the inner door panel so to get it out you have to remove the plastic in front of the window then the glass then the outside door handle and then remove the screws for latch itself. You don't have to remove it all the way, just enough to disconnect the lock actuator from the panel.
The service manual skips all the details entirely. Unless I'm looking at the wrong one for power door lock actuator.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know it's hard as **** to find some things in the manual. The instructions are under
Body (Interior and Exterior)
Exterior
Front door
Repair procedures
Then follow the Door Module Assembly Replacement, the door lock is attached to the Door Module Assembly and comes out when you remove the Door Module Assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts