Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing and installing a turbo for my 2014 elantra GT, kit linked below. I'm having trouble finding reviews for this kit, and can't really find any other kit not on ebay. I've never bought car parts on ebay, I know plenty of people do but I'd prefer not to if possible. If anyone has installed this or another turbo kit on your elantra, please tell me how it went and your thoughts on the changes to driving.

My main intention is not speed, I plan to only run a mild tune specifically for driving in the mountains. I live in CO and purchased the elantra as a road trip car. The hatch and gas mileage are great for that, but at elevation I often have trouble keeping up with the speed limits. At around 11k feet, the limit was 65 and I was in 4th barely maintaining 40 MPH, so I think a turbo would be a good way to overcome a lack of air. Any higher gear would have my speed decreasing even flat out. I go hiking a lot, so I spend a lot of time in the mountains.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should try other engine & platform. Not Hyundais.......

1. The engine is known for weak internals..... (If you google the rod & piston on this car, you will see exactly what I mean)

2. If you got the AT Box, this box is only rated for 200HP. That's why the engine only make like 170ish HP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should try other engine & platform. Not Hyundais.......

1. The engine is known for weak internals..... (If you google the rod & piston on this car, you will see exactly what I mean)

2. If you got the AT Box, this box is only rated for 200HP. That's why the engine only make like 170ish HP.
Thanks for the reply, but I can't actually find any info about the internals online. Maybe I just don't know what to search? Is there anything you can link me about it? I find all things engine pretty interesting, so I'd love to read more about my engine and better understand what you're saying. This is one of those things where I see people throwing out lines about the build quality of the car, but I have no idea how they figure it out. Like does Hyundai put out a public statement that they made a weak car and here's all the areas it may go wrong?

I do have the manual box by the way, but if a turbo isn't right for the car that's not a big deal. It's certainly not ideal for me, but I guess I'll just take it slow when I'm at elevation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I can't actually find any info about the internals online. Maybe I just don't know what to search? Is there anything you can link me about it? I find all things engine pretty interesting, so I'd love to read more about my engine and better understand what you're saying. This is one of those things where I see people throwing out lines about the build quality of the car, but I have no idea how they figure it out. Like does Hyundai put out a public statement that they made a weak car and here's all the areas it may go wrong?

I do have the manual box by the way, but if a turbo isn't right for the car that's not a big deal. It's certainly not ideal for me, but I guess I'll just take it slow when I'm at elevation.
take a look at the video, and search another engine to take a look. once you see those pistons & internal parts, you will know what we are saying......

if I am you, I will save up that money to do somethin else, not investing money on this car....... (And I have to admit that buying this car is one of my biggest mistake I have made so far)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts