Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing what sounds like a rattle coming from the dash around the steering wheel...somewhere. I have touched everything I know to touch and the rattle won't stop. Here's what I know so far...

1. This does not happen with just a cold engine. It has happened after a 30-mile commute in mid-July.

2. It seems to be related to acceleration, i.e. if I let off the accelerator the noise stops.

3. It doesn't seem to do this all of the time. It's most prevalent when speeds are below 60mph, with the "sweet spot" being around 40 mph.

4. Doesn't seem to be related to a/c, as I tested with the a/c off and still experienced the noise.

I uploaded a YouTube video to help. Kind of hard to hear but the noise can be heard from 4 seconds to 10 seconds in, and again at the 17 second mark to the end of the clip. I can hear it a bit better on my desktop speakers than my laptop ones, but headphones might be best.

This is driving me nuts on a car I otherwise love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6I_4Pds_NY

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like a instrument panel issue. Most likely the speedo. The entire cluster will probably need replacing. I only say this because it is typical for these things to be manufactured in a complete unit. I am not a mechanic, only someone who has had a similar experience with a VW. Good Luck

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oh yeah.... I hear it. I would bring your video with you when you go get it checked out. I know that would annoy me very fast. Sorry, I have no idea what that vibration is though. Good luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Pretty obvious. Sounds similar to a noise on my wife's CR-V, but yours is much louder. By the way, it has nothing to do with the instrument panel itself, as it's all electronic (no speedo cable anymore, like on old cars). It's obviosly related to engine vibration. If you push the gearshift lever to the left (dropping one gear), I bet it goes away, but of course it's not a fix. It's most likely a somewhat lose fastener allowing plastic on plastic to rattle. And yes, it's probably the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, if it sounds like it's coming from the inside, there's no other choice but to take apart the instrument cluster and try to find a loose screw/bolt. And if you do it youself, I'd buy a roll of felt tape and slap it on every surface that could be the culprit. I personally don't let dealers tackle those issues, but if you don't feel up to the job, and the noise is driving you nuts, you have no other option. Just tell them you expect to get the car back with ZERO scratches and without the noise. By the way, I might have to do a similar job on my BMW, but it's not doing it often (or loud) enough to warrant such disassembly yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help and advice. The noise is louder in person, trust me. I was surprised it wasn't more audible in the video. But yeah, with the radio on...I can't hear it. :grin:

I'll take it to the dealer when I get a chance to see what they say. I'm fairly handy at dismantling dashes (with a handy guide), so I may try that myself when the weather cools off. Whichever comes first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I definitely hear it. For those who say they can't hear it, try turning your speakers up since the sound in the clip is fairly soft. I would personally take it to the dealer to fix simply to make sure you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting this, Tim!!! This is very similar to what have been happening to my Sonata Limited. The problem occurred since April and I took the car to the dealer (in San Diego) twice for them to fix it.

The first time, they said there was a nut inside the front bumper (???) that caused the noise and they removed it. I took the car home thinking the problem was fixed but actually the rattle noise did occur since the engine was still not hot on my 2 mile trip from the dealer -> home.

I called the dealer the second time to report the problem. This time, the car stayed there for about 2 weeks for the service manager to look at it himself (I drove the car with him to show the rattle noise since it only happens occasionally as Tim described and when the engine is hot enough). They said they got the Hyundai engineer to involve and really found the problem. They had to change something related to the gas bump (??? I will look at the invoice and post back later). Well, whatever they have done to my car did not fix the problem AT ALL and I am very frustrate!!! This is my first Hyundai after reading a lot of good thing about the car (I have 3 Honda and 1 Toyota before). It is so embarrassing when I drive my friends and co-workers to lunch and the noise happened. A loud rattle noise on a brand new car !!!

I do not really know what to do next!!! I actually reported to them but do not know if they will be able to get it fixed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Michael Tran @ Sep 3 2010, 02:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354094
This time, the car stayed there for about 2 weeks
Man, that's ridiculous. All cars can have problems, but this story is definitely NOT confidence inspiring. No wonder nobody can fix tranny problems locking up. Please keep us posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts