Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how it handles in the snow without snow tires. I bought chains for the snowboarding season, but I'm really curious about general snow driving. Will it go up my steep driveway? My '98 Corolla never could with snow on there.

Also, is there an equivalent to the 2 on my gear settings when driving downhill? Or do I have to manually go to the 2nd gear?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 2 settings below D on some cars are just first and second gear, which you can change yourself by moving the shifter to the left and just leaving it in first.

As far as the snow, I got my 2011 SE in February (in New York) so I have had plenty of experience in the snow - it handled very well once on the road, and the computer systems did a good job kicking in to help keep the car from slipping. The ability to get out of a driveway or snowy spot is a different story. I had a tough times getting the car going from a snowed-in parking space on more than one occassion. For comparison, my father's 2009 Malibu is 300+ lbs. heavier and had an even harder time, so I guess if you're looking for a snow-prowler just buy an SUV.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (Syitalian25 @ Oct 23 2010, 06:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365611
The 2 settings below D on some cars are just first and second gear, which you can change yourself by moving the shifter to the left and just leaving it in first.

As far as the snow, I got my 2011 SE in February (in New York) so I have had plenty of experience in the snow - it handled very well once on the road, and the computer systems did a good job kicking in to help keep the car from slipping. The ability to get out of a driveway or snowy spot is a different story. I had a tough times getting the car going from a snowed-in parking space on more than one occassion. For comparison, my father's 2009 Malibu is 300+ lbs. heavier and had an even harder time, so I guess if you're looking for a snow-prowler just buy an SUV.

(Almost) nothing worse in the snow than an SUV!! Top heavy, JUST heavy, wide tires and inspiring of mis-placed overconfidence. Of all the vehicles you see ditched in the median or on the side of the road during snow season, MOST of them are SUVs! Buy a set of real snow tires (I love the Continental-made General Altimax Arctic ice and snow tires) and have at it. There is no substitute for real ice and snow tires in the snow and ice! Chains are a pain in the ****. I had four snows on my previous car (RWD with limited slip differential) and I was able to claw out of some situations that made me very grateful to have spent the $ on the snows. I probably wont get a set this year just because of where I live in town now they plow the roads much more quickly and regularly so Im going to skip it this time. I may very well regret it but I am just not doing the same outside-of-town driving that I used to do in the past...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Syitalian25 @ Oct 23 2010, 03:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365611

Did you try turning off the TCS when in those situations? It's supposed to just keep spinning the tires if you turn it off. Maybe that would've worked to get out of those situations? I've never even had a car with such an option so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
330 Posts
QUOTE (Syitalian25 @ Oct 23 2010, 05:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365611

correct about shifting to the left (and using shifttronic) however 1st gear might have too much torque for snow and you'll end up spinning your wheels alot. If you run into that kind of trouble, i would suggest shifting up to 2nd from a standstill and then accelerating(hyundai's can do that) instead of leaving it in first.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If you want to go to second gear. Slap your sector into manual. It will allow you to start in 1 or 2 should you need it.

If you are thinking chains, I wouldn't hesitate to put proper snow tires on.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I will be soon enough, snowed wet snow once already....
I'm in very North Western Ontario between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg Manitoba..
Going to Thunder Bay next monday to have my cars 4 snow shoes installed :57:
I'm a Nokian guy but could not swallow 230.00+ per tire for this car.
This time I got a nice set of Falken Espia Epz's ..
Just over 100.00 each .

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Oct 25 2010, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366096
Just over 100.00 each .
I too love Nokian, had them on my Maxima, but like you I put Falken on the Subie as it doesn't get driven too much,
However if I were to use snows on my Azera I would still use Nokia, alas the price is high, but my sefety is more important.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm curious about this car in snow too. But my 2010 civic ex was fine over the last colorado winter so I'd think this car would be fine with the all seasons. We'll see soon enough .....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
QUOTE (Pelican @ Oct 25 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366109
I too love Nokian, had them on my Maxima, but like you I put Falken on the Subie as it doesn't get driven too much,
However if I were to use snows on my Azera I would still use Nokia, alas the price is high, but my sefety is more important.
the falkens look like a decent tire, hope its true :thumbsup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Oct 25 2010, 07:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366096
Just over 100.00 each .
I'm in Winnipeg myself ... I've got my Blizzak WS70's installed on the stock 17's for my limited and I'm ready to throw them on the car at the first sign of snow. Kinda looking forward to it lol... I'm sick right?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
QUOTE (gq_neo @ Oct 25 2010, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366265
I'm in Winnipeg myself ... I've got my Blizzak WS70's installed on the stock 17's for my limited and I'm ready to throw them on the car at the first sign of snow. Kinda looking forward to it lol... I'm sick right?
Nope not at all, im with you there ....
I love driving in the snow :banana:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To answer my own question, I did get up my steep driveway in thick snow on Monday night (Seattle's Snowmagedden). My first attempt didn't work as I just tried creeping up. It wouldn't even go after I got stuck. Then I tried with TCS off, which got the wheels spinning but still no progress. Then I backed off and had a good running start with TCS turned off. I'm not sure if TCS being turned off made a big difference.

As for riding on snow, it was awesome. This car has good TCS and ESC so you never really slide much, if at all. I don't need snow tires or AWD. I have chains if I need to drive up the mountains to go snowboarding.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Middle of a blizzard here now ... Blizack ws70 tires on ...the 2.0t had little to no issues in fact I was pulling through the snow with as much power as most of the 4x4's on the road.

Love it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drove my SE in a real snow finally yesterday, and I have to say, those factory tires SUCK!
I've been debating if I want to go into debt for snow tires, and after yesterday, I'm not sure it's an option.
The traction control is impressive, but feels really weird to have the throttle half way to the floor, and the car is barely idling through an intersection.
Other than stopping, turning or accelerating, it was fine.

G

·
QUOTE (Tom Brodrick @ Nov 26 2010, 06:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374857
Other than stopping, turning or accelerating, it was fine.
LOL! Ain't that the truth? :laughing:

Tires (including studs and/or chains) are the only things that help traction when it gets slick. TC and ESC can help save a person from a small amount of their own foolishness, but when it actually gets slick, you either go buy traction or you should stay home. There are just no 2 ways about it, I'm afraid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts