Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One car that frequently gets mentioned when talking about the styling of the '11 Sonata is the VW CC. People say that both cars share the same "4 door coupe" styling. This got me thinking about the two and I was wondering how the two stack up. The entry level CC is about the same price as a Sonata Limited, but it wont have as many features as the Sonata. They both get 200 HP in the 4 cylinder model (there is an optional V6 available in the CC). In my opinion, the CC has a classier, more upscale look, but overall, I was wondering if any of you considered the CC when you were shopping for your Sonatas and if so, what did you think?

·
Banned
630 Posts
I did, but then I came to my senses....for an almost $40k car fully loaded, it sure does come with a half-***ed cheap wannabe panoramic roof

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 21 2010, 09:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343545
I did, but then I came to my senses....for an almost $40k car fully loaded, it sure does come with a half-***ed cheap wannabe panoramic roof
Ok, but you have to have come to other conclusions besides the sunroof. Yes, a fully loaded AWD V6 CC is over $40k, but what about the $28k CC Sport vs a $28k Sonata Limited?

How was the ride quality, acceleration, build quality? I know that in order for these two vehicles to compare you have to compare a top of the line Sonata with an entry level CC, but there has to be some similarities?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yes but the CC is a 4 seater with a split rear seat. The CC also is a VW which is nice and will hold the value but maintenance costs after the free care is god awful high.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Jul 21 2010, 10:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343552
Ok, but you have to have come to other conclusions besides the sunroof. Yes, a fully loaded AWD V6 CC is over $40k, but what about the $28k CC Sport vs a $28k Sonata Limited?

How was the ride quality, acceleration, build quality? I know that in order for these two vehicles to compare you have to compare a top of the line Sonata with an entry level CC, but there has to be some similarities?
its all about priorities...and for me that means a sunroof that I like......as a matter of fact, I am seriously considering flipping my 2011 lease just so I can get one with a pano roof when they hit the shores...at a cost of WHATEVER IT TAKES!

my buddy has a fully loaded jetta and grandmother had a passat, and mother-in-law still has a passat......VW's don't impress me, especially being built in Mexico

·
Registered
424 Posts
the yf sonata is longer, taller, looks better, probably does better mpg, better warranty and cost about 30 percent less.

as far as resale, this is the X factor because it truly is an UNKNOWN as of now. It really depends on the demand and reliability of the yf in a year or two....heck if hyundai's branding, demand and reliability starts to really shine in a year or two, our yf's may still be worth the same as we paid for if they start to jack up the msrp on them....but that's a long shot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I set my budget at 30k, I compared the VW CC Sport to Sonata Limited.
The CC was still few thousand more expensive, and Sonata had a better value for its money.

But then I thought, If I'm going to buy a Sonata, why spend more money on a Limited?
Heated seats, leather interior, moon roof, turn signals on side mirrors, fog lights, rear view camera, navigation system, the list goes on!!
But these are just unnecessary luxury..

Sure the Sonata design is really nice this year, and I'm very happy the Sonata isn't as lame as it used to be.
But realistically for me, there was no point in buying a Limited of a Sonata because in the end, it's ...just a Sonata.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 21 2010, 10:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343561
my buddy has a fully loaded jetta and grandmother had a passat, and mother-in-law still has a passat......VW's don't impress me, especially being built in Mexico
All the Passats I looked at before purchasing my Sonata on May 1 were Germany cars, according to the window sticker. I believe most engines were German, too, although the transmissions were sometimes from Germany and other times from elsewhere.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Jul 21 2010, 11:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343588
All the Passats I looked at before purchasing my Sonata on May 1 were Germany cars, according to the window sticker. I believe most engines were German, too, although the transmissions were sometimes from Germany and other times from elsewhere.
every VW I've ever seen have MADE IN MEXICO stamped all over the door jams...Audi's on the other hand are made in germany, which seems to make up for the increase in premium. Although the fit and finish on the Audi's is impressive

·
Registered
110 Posts
Park both cars next to each other. Why would you spend 30-40 thousand for a tiny car when you can spend 20-30 thousand for a much larger Sonata. They are both great looking cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Park both cars next to each other. Why would you spend 30-40 thousand for a tiny car when you can spend 20-30 thousand for a much larger Sonata. They are both great looking cars.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (sailpowerd @ Jul 21 2010, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343629
Umm... The Sonata is only 1" longer yet the CC is 1" wider. Wouldn't call that a "tiny" car, nor would I call the Sonata "much larger".

Also, the CC starts at $28k, the Sonata Limited starts at $26k. Both are comparably equipped.

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 21 2010, 12:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343611
every VW I've ever seen have MADE IN MEXICO stamped all over the door jams...Audi's on the other hand are made in germany, which seems to make up for the increase in premium. Although the fit and finish on the Audi's is impressive
I admit to being quite surprised to see Germany on the window sticker of current Passats, because my own 2000 Jetta TDI was Mexi-made (although the diesel engine and trans were both from Germany).

·
Registered
142 Posts
While I didn't compare the CC directly with the Sonata, I did look that the VR6 CC when I bought my Genesis. The CC is a nice car, but it's cramped. The headroom is lacking front and back, the sunroof doesn't really open, the back seat is a joke, and the acceleration felt no quicker than the V6 Genesis sedan which is a much larger/roomier car (I did not drive the 2.0T).

Based solely on looks compared to the Sonata, I find the CC to be superior from the front end only. The side and rear of the Sonata look nicer to me. The door handles on the CC look 6" too low and the rear window curvature combined withe the taillights make the CC look too bubbly and round from the rear IMO. The interior is a draw in terms of style, but the CC does have nicer materials overall. The Sonata is an easy choice for anyone who needs to use their back seat on a regular basis. The CC's back seat is great for a couple kids or small adults under 5' 8" only.

Honestly, if I could graft the CC's headlights and grille onto my Sonata I'd be happy. VW can keep the rest of the car....not impressed. :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Ayces @ Jul 21 2010, 02:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343636
CC only weighs 50lbs more than the Sonata, yet has more low end torque and horsepower.

Sonata Limited: [email protected] / [email protected]
CC: [email protected] / [email protected]

and for the CC, 252hp / 303tq are just a chip away.

Granted the real battle would be the SE Turbo vs CC 2.0T.
These stats are very significant. The CC has 23 more ft/lbs of torque available at 2500rpm sooner. This means the CC has much more low end grunt and gets off the line quicker.

I also went to VW's site and navigated to a random dealer near my house and searched their local inventory to get the VIN numbers of some new CCs and all of the ones I saw had a "W" in the first digit of the VIN which means the car was assembled in Germany, so CCs are German built cars, not Mexican (if that means anything to you).

I agree you get more features for your money with the Sonata, but I believe the CC is probably a more solidly built car. The VW 2.0T motor is a tried and true motor that has been around for a very long time, so its long term reliabilty it more proven.

From what Ive read in some road tests, I havent read any comments about a "harsh" ride, or vauge power steering like some of the critics of the Sonata are.

I believe these two cars are more similar than people think. The CC is aimed at a slightly more upscale segment, but its still something worth considering.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Jul 21 2010, 02:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343648
I admit to being quite surprised to see Germany on the window sticker of current Passats, because my own 2000 Jetta TDI was Mexi-made (although the diesel engine and trans were both from Germany).
Why would it surprise you to see one model made in Germany just because your Jetta was made in Mexico? Its very common for a car company to have some of its models built in one place and some built in others. If you buy a new Chevy Camaro, would it surprise you to see its built in Canada? How about a new Honda Civic Hybrid? Those are still made in Japan as well whereas most other Honda models are made in the USA.

Its no secret that VW has been making several of its models in Mexico, but not all of them come from there.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Jul 21 2010, 03:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343631
Also, the CC starts at $28k, the Sonata Limited starts at $26k. Both are comparably equipped.
While accurate, that is slightly misleading -

the Sonata Limited "tops out" at (list) $28k while the CC starts at $28k.

I would hope one would get "more car" overall with a CC as the price rises from 28k to 40k +.

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Jul 21 2010, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343653
These stats are very significant. The CC has 23 more ft/lbs of torque available at 2500rpm sooner. This means the CC has much more low end grunt and gets off the line quicker.

I also went to VW's site and navigated to a random dealer near my house and searched their local inventory to get the VIN numbers of some new CCs and all of the ones I saw had a "W" in the first digit of the VIN which means the car was assembled in Germany, so CCs are German built cars, not Mexican (if that means anything to you).

I agree you get more features for your money with the Sonata, but I believe the CC is probably a more solidly built car. The VW 2.0T motor is a tried and true motor that has been around for a very long time, so its long term reliabilty it more proven.

From what Ive read in some road tests, I havent read any comments about a "harsh" ride, or vauge power steering like some of the critics of the Sonata are.

I believe these two cars are more similar than people think. The CC is aimed at a slightly more upscale segment, but its still something worth considering.
Why would you compare the 2.0T CC to the 2.4l Sonata? The upcoming 2.0T Sonata is a much more logical comparison, and in terms of horsepower and fuel economy, it shames the VW.

In V6 trim the CC is comparable to the Genesis in terms of price and unless you just have to have FWD/AWD, the Genesis is easily a better car.

And don't be fooled into believing any of these cars are super soft luxury sedans. The CC has quite a few complaints about it's ride quality.

http://www.cars.com/volkswagen/cc/2009/reviews/?revid=55126

The ride was noticeably rough even on the base 17-inch wheels. Jolts from highway expansion joints were brutally sharp, though road noise was minimal.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-cc-...pin-review.html

Now the roads used by this Detroit-area reviewer aren’t exactly up to par. If the tarmac in your neck of the woods is of higher quality, then you might find the CC’s ride quite acceptable. During our test ,though, we found jolts from even moderate road imperfections made their way into the cabin.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/104...0-volkswagen-cc

(CC) Dislikes:

* Overly light steering
* Touchy brakes
* Odd seating position
* Tight rear headroom
* Harsh ride with larger wheels

1 - 20 of 57 Posts