Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the car on Monday and I like it so far, but the blue LCD backlighting is really annoying to me. Has anybody tried to disassemble the radio and HVAC head unit to change the color of that backlight? I have seen it done on other cars, but I don't think I'd have the expertise to do it without a how-to.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From what I have read from other posts the lights are LED and soldered into the circuit board. Not an easy job to change if even possible. I was not a fan of the blue either but it has grown on me (I inherited the car from the wife).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have a GTO and I know there's a company out there that will do color changes for them for the cluster and console lights. I think that involves replacing some SMD LEDs but I'm not positive. I wonder how easy they are to get to on ours...

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's a common modification for a lot of brands but I haven't seen a write up on an SF. The LED's are available but you need to be skilled with a fine soldering iron to get the old ones off and the new ones in. The odds of scrapping the board for a novice are 50/50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IIRC on some of these LCD screens you can turn the polarizer around and it will invert the display (make it blue on a black background instead of black on a blue background). I'd be happy with that even. But, like you said, I'd be afraid of breaking it and the spares are expensive :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts