Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks, had an unfortunate accident a mile from home, on a street where the stupid city built concrete 'pullouts' shape like rectangles, and they couldn't even round the freaking corners. My wife and daughters don't even attempt to clear them with incoming cars; they just wait. You clear those darn things by inches; it's ridiculous. Anyway, had to swerve to avoid a dog, and I barely caught the edge with both right wheels/tires. It sounded awful, and threw the car sideways. I expected the wheel to be broken, or at least bent enough to deflate the tire instantly. Surprisingly, none of that happened. Even though the wheels are not even forged, they're super strong. I'd have preferred the wheels sacrificing themselves, rather than the suspension, even if that meant leaving the car there. Oh well. Tires have a chunk sheared off, where you can see the sidewall cords, so need new ones. And that's the reason for my post. I used this car almost exclusively to travel, and those stock Hankook H426s are noisy as heck on the broken pavement prevalent in this area. Might as well change them now, to at least have something to look forward to after the fix :(. Yeah, it'll cost me more, but prefer better and quieter tires from major brands, like Michelin, etc. I'd appreciate precise brand and model recommendations from actual users, since each car is different. I prefer the same category, which is 'grand touring all-season' with a V-rating, but an 'ultra-high-performance all-season' would be fine too. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Folks, had an unfortunate accident a mile from home, on a street where the stupid city built concrete 'pullouts' shape like rectangles, and they couldn't even round the freaking corners. My wife and daughters don't even attempt to clear them with incoming cars; they just wait. You clear those darn things by inches; it's ridiculous. Anyway, had to swerve to avoid a dog, and I barely caught the edge with both right wheels/tires. It sounded awful, and threw the car sideways. I expected the wheel to be broken, or at least bent enough to deflate the tire instantly. Surprisingly, none of that happened. Even though the wheels are not even forged, they're super strong. I'd have preferred the wheels sacrificing themselves, rather than the suspension, even if that meant leaving the car there. Oh well. Tires have a chunk sheared off, where you can see the sidewall cords, so need new ones. And that's the reason for my post. I used this car almost exclusively to travel, and those stock Hankook H426s are noisy as heck on the broken pavement prevalent in this area. Might as well change them now, to at least have something to look forward to after the fix :(. Yeah, it'll cost me more, but prefer better and quieter tires from major brands, like Michelin, etc. I'd appreciate precise brand and model recommendations from actual users, since each car is different. I prefer the same category, which is 'grand touring all-season' with a V-rating, but an 'ultra-high-performance all-season' would be fine too. Thanks gang.
I had to replace one of the Hankooks because of a cut in the tire at about 9000 miles. I decided to go and replace the OEM tires because of poor snow traction and just wasn't happy overall with the Hankooks.
After a lot of investigation I picked Continental Tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ai&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Azera&autoModClar=
Best decision I ever made..... these are great tires.... I now have about 12,000 miles on them and still love them :=)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a 2011 Sonata. I replaced the tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 based on online user reviews for quietness and smoothness. I noticed a significant difference right away. The Sonata isn't exactly the quietest or smoothest riding car. The tires made a big difference. The car was considerably more quiet, and smoother over bumps. I was very satisfied with the purchase.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you folks. You know, I had a bit of time to check for tires, and there aren't many 'grand touring' and 'ultra-high-performance' all-season tires in that size.

Xsolara, your link didn't work. Which Continental tires did you buy? ContiProContact or Extreme Contact DWS? The former are 'grand touring' and the later 'ultra high performance'. I was surprised to see the 'grand touring' ones are actually rated better for traction: AA, vs just A for the supposedly higher-performing DWSs. Equally weird is the DWSs rated at 540 tread life, vs 500 for the supposedly longer-lasting grand-touring. And finally, those are also a lot more expensive than the DWSs. Crazy. At any rate, I don't want either one because the DWSs have a more aggressive tread pattern, and are going to be noisier than a grand-touring option. And the grand-touring Conti is only speed-rated H.

Anyway, Michelin makes the Primacy MXM4 for our 19s, and they're actually cheaper than the Hankooks, WAY cheaper than any of the 2 Continental choices above, and they're rated V, just like the stockers. And AA for traction. VERY surprised to find the Michelin not only the best rated by far, but the cheapest of the bunch. I'm going to go with those, plus SteveL also had a great experience with them on the Sonata noisewise, which is my main concern. Plus I know a Michelin tire is going to be better than a Hankook, and that's backed by consumer ratings. Thanks again to both of you for your help. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thank you folks. You know, I had a bit of time to check for tires, and there aren't many 'grand touring' and 'ultra-high-performance' all-season tires in that size.

Xsolara, your link didn't work. Which Continental tires did you buy? ContiProContact or Extreme Contact DWS? The former are 'grand touring' and the later 'ultra high performance'. I was surprised to see the 'grand touring' ones are actually rated better for traction: AA, vs just A for the supposedly higher-performing DWSs. Equally weird is the DWSs rated at 540 tread life, vs 500 for the supposedly longer-lasting grand-touring. And finally, those are also a lot more expensive than the DWSs. Crazy. At any rate, I don't want either one because the DWSs have a more aggressive tread pattern, and are going to be noisier than a grand-touring option. And the grand-touring Conti is only speed-rated H.

Anyway, Michelin makes the Primacy MXM4 for our 19s, and they're actually cheaper than the Hankooks, WAY cheaper than any of the 2 Continental choices above, and they're rated V, just like the stockers. And AA for traction. VERY surprised to find the Michelin not only the best rated by far, but the cheapest of the bunch. I'm going to go with those, plus SteveL also had a great experience with them on the Sonata noisewise, which is my main concern. Plus I know a Michelin tire is going to be better than a Hankook, and that's backed by consumer ratings. Thanks again to both of you for your help. Greatly appreciated.
I purchased the DWS tires.......... I never had any luck with Michelin tires no matter what C.R. says so I wasn't going that route. Since I live in WI. I needed a tire that would give me better traction in snow and I should get much better life out of these so in the end they should be cheaper to own. Time will tell :=)

·
Registered
215 Posts

I purchased the MXV4 tire, not the MXM4. I don't know what the difference is between the two, but they are different tires, and I noticed at the time the MXM4 didn't rate quite as high as the MXV4. I already priced the MXV4 in the 18 inch tire of the Azera, and it's going to cost about $1000 to replace all four with mounting, etc. A bit pricey.

·
Registered
100 Posts
elp jc, please let us know what you end up with. I'm thinking about the Michelin MXV4s myself, but only have 11,000 miles so far. I had a an 11 Sonata 2.0T and enjoyed it very much except for the road noise. The Azera is much better, however if new tires will improve it even more I will consider! We have a lot of "rough aggregate asphalt" out here in West Texas, even though the road are generally good, they can be rather noisy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before anything else, my Azera is the 'tech', which has 19s. Michelin doesn't make the MXV4 in that size; only the MXM4 is available. But both are 'Primacy', so they should fundamentally be the same tire. The only difference might be the higher speed-rating of the MXM, which is 'V'.

I purchased the DWS tires.
Those are EXCELLENT tires, but are MUCH higher performance than the grand-touring option. And therefore, they have to be noisier too; the only question is how much. A friend has those in his Ferrari 430, and they stick like glue in the twisties. They're overkill on a FWD Azera. Curious how many miles you get out of those. But remember as soon as the 'S' is worn out from the wear indicators, they're not good for snow anymore. And when the 'W', is wiped out, then no good in the wet either. On this car, I want to stick with 'grand-touring', since they're going to be quieter. And I hardly ever see any snow anyway :D. But thank you for your input; it might benefit northern folks.

elp jc, please let us know what you end up with.
Sure will. I'll probably fix the car and change the tires in a week or two.

I purchased the MXV4 tire, not the MXM4.
Seems like you have the 'base' Azera with 18s, so you guys have more options than us. The MXV4 might be even quieter than the MXM4, since the larger the wheel and lower the profile, the more sporty the rubber is. I can't get anything other than summer for the Corvette GS, for instance, so can't use it in winter. It's like riding on ice :eek:.

Thank you all again :cool:.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll agree that there is some road noise with these stock 19" Hankook tires that Hyundai chose to put on our Azeras. I would change mine out with better and quieter tires, but I don't feel like paying $750-1000 for a new set just yet. Heck, I don't think I even have 10k miles on my car and it's a year old.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It really depends what part of the country you are in. If you are in the Northeast you are going to look for a good all around tire for both wet and dry driving as well as snow and sleet. If you are south or any warm climate you will opt for a better dry tire. This does not take into account your driving habits which may lead you to a higher performance tire.

All in all, there are many good tires out there for you to choose from. The Conti DWS is an outstanding tire and very highly rated by Tire Rack.

I will be honest with you all to tell you that I don't think the OEM Hankooks are that bad of a tire. I don't think they are very noisey and the car rides very smoothly. Always check your tire pressure for a better ride. It never makes sense to change a tire for the sake of changing and spending several hundred dollars to do so except of course you have an accident or some bad tires to begin with.

Just my 2 cents. In the end it is a personal decision that only the driver should make. Just do your homework and buy the tires that work best for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a 2011 Sonata. I replaced the tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 based on online user reviews for quietness and smoothness. I noticed a significant difference right away. The Sonata isn't exactly the quietest or smoothest riding car. The tires made a big difference. The car was considerably more quiet, and smoother over bumps. I was very satisfied with the purchase.
Road noise was the biggest reason I traded up to the Azera. If tires made that much difference, I could have saved my self some dough!

The Azera still has noise on rough aggregate roads down here in Texas. I think I'll try new Michelins before trading again!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Tire upgrade...

I agree with Steve. I came from the Hankook Optima of some sort to the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Could be happier... well I could be I should have gone to 18" instead of the 17" from 16" since I was getting new wheels also. But I digress... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Road noise was the biggest reason I traded up to the Azera. The Azera still has noise on rough aggregate roads down here in Texas.
Same here, and I was disappointed too that the Azera wasn't isolated better :mellow:. I recently switched to the supposedly best noise tires (as in quietest), which are the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (V-rated, just like OEM). I guess our cars are not limited to the normal 130 mph, for what I'm reading. And with low-profile, 19" size, and high-speed rating, we're not going to get a touring-oriented tire, unfortunately. They made VERY LITTLE difference in noise, they're heavier, and they feel harder, so had to lower the pressure from 33 to the recommended 32.

Bottom line is save your money man. I spent a grand in vain. I'd switch to those when the OEMs are done, since surprisingly, the Michelins are actually cheaper than the OEMs. Yes, I was shocked too :eek:. They supposedly last longer, and they should also be better in the rain, going by the reviews. As a final thought, when we drove the Camry and Avalon, and even the Lexus ES350, they were very comparable to the Azera. So if we really want a quiet car in our crappy roads, we'd have to upgrade to a luxury car, and that'd be significantly more expensive. And we're talking Lexus LS, BMW 7-series, or Mercedes S-class. I bought my wife a new Lexus LS a decade ago, and I can attest it was truly quiet. My business was doing great back then. But now I have expensive college expenses plus had to close my business, so any such luxury requires dipping into my savings. I'm thinking about insulating this car, and actually do the project myself. Remove seats and carpet, and 'dynamat' the crap out of the car to see if makes a difference. And I'd probably have to do the door panels, but prefer not to mess with that. I'm going to think about it. Now that my car is not pristine anymore, I don't feel that bad about such a project :D. But will do some research, since I want to add the minimum amount of weight, plus make the upgrade as cheap as possible (that stuff is EXPENSIVE).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've got to tell you, that my Azera is the quietest car I have owned, and that is with the stock Hankook Optima 19s.

Now I will also say that I've been in a few LS's that were a bit quieter, but I've also been in E-Class, ES, BMW 5 series that were somewhat noisier than my Azera. I have also been in S Classes that did not seem any quieter.

Some of the quietest cars I've been in are old Lincoln Town Cars.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I will also say that I've been in a few LS's that were a bit quieter, but I've also been in E-Class, ES, BMW 5 series that were somewhat noisier than my Azera. I have also been in S Classes that did not seem any quieter.
The Lexus LSs and Merc S-classes are WAY quieter man. Haven't been in a newer 5 series or E-classes, but both should be noticeably quieter too. The Azera is fine on smooth roads, but wait until you hit a TX or NM road and you'll change your tune :D. The Lexus ES350 is quieter but not by a lot, so the Azera is within market expectations, I'd say. An LS and S-class are like day and night quiet compared to the Azera, but are much more expensive, have double-pane (much thicker) glass, extensive insulation, etc. If you think they're as quiet as an Azera, you have a serious hearing problem :p.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
What??????

:D:D:D

Seriously... a lot depends on tires, suspension and road surfaces. Even in an LS or S class. I don't mean to suggest that the Azera is quieter by default, just that I've been in some "luxury cars" that were not up to expectations.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
just that I've been in some "luxury cars" that were not up to expectations.
I own an Azera Tech man, but it's based on the SONATA, for crying out loud. I ride in luxury (not 'luxury') cars all the time, and the difference is like night and day... AS EXPECTED. Yes, the roads are as crappy as they get here, so the difference is even more noticeable. On billiard smooth roads, even an Accent will seem quiet. Just search for independent dB tests if you still think a Sonata-based car (is not even considered 'near-luxury') is going to be nearly as quiet as a luxury car with double-paned windows and a ton of insulation (and remember the dB scale is exponential). End of discussion man; you're not a reasonable person. You resemble some Corvette owners (yes, I own one too) that think it's better than any exotic just because they can't afford one. I'd be stupid to say that because I knew that wasn't the case, even if I hadn't driven exotics before.

These are the smoothest, quietest, touring tires with tenacious wet/dry traction, that I've ever had! I'm on my 3rd set, in as many vehicles.
I'll read that story later, but thank you for the heads up. Do you have those on an Azera Tech (with 19s)? Just curious, because usually you don't find truly touring tires in such a large size and 40 profile. I wasn't impressed at all by my Michelins. Take care.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts