Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 sonata has an automatic transmission and the 4cyl eng. When slowing down or coming to a stop as the car passes thru 20 miles an hour it down shifts very harsh. My wife brought it to the dealer today to have some recalls taken care of and ask them to look at it. They said the trans fluid was black and needed to be replaced,they only did a drain and refill not a full flush. They also stated that although the brake pads were not worn down,the rotors were grooved (they are but not bad) and the brakes pulsed(they don't)and this was the problem. I will add that if you put the car in neutral when coming to a stop it does not have the same harsh down shift and if you let the car glide to a stop without touching the brakes and leave it in drive you do get the harsh down shift This along with the burned fluid point to a transmission problem in my opinion. I will be doing the brakes this weekend and returning to the dealer for the next round of "Whats wrong with my car". in th e mean time has anyone else had this down shifting problem ? What was the resolution? Thank you for your time( Car has approx 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My 2009 sonata has an automatic transmission and the 4cyl eng. When slowing down or coming to a stop as the car passes thru 20 miles an hour it down shifts very harsh. My wife brought it to the dealer today to have some recalls taken care of and ask them to look at it. They said the trans fluid was black and needed to be replaced,they only did a drain and refill not a full flush. They also stated that although the brake pads were not worn down,the rotors were grooved (they are but not bad) and the brakes pulsed(they don't)and this was the problem. I will add that if you put the car in neutral when coming to a stop it does not have the same harsh down shift and if you let the car glide to a stop without touching the brakes and leave it in drive you do get the harsh down shift This along with the burned fluid point to a transmission problem in my opinion. I will be doing the brakes this weekend and returning to the dealer for the next round of "Whats wrong with my car". in th e mean time has anyone else had this down shifting problem ? What was the resolution? Thank you for your time( Car has approx 70,000 miles.
There is a TSB on the 4cyl for the rough downshifts. The dealer should apply that fix. IMO Hyundai transmission fluid is crap. Drain and fill with aftermarket SPIII fluid.

The reason why you don't get the rough downshift is b/c you're in neutral. There are no gears engaged. In "D" the transmission will upshift and downshift for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts