Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mellow: hi to every one! i'm from saudi arabia, i drive a 95' 2.0 manual trans sonata. i need help as to where to start looking, the problem is my sonata hard starts ( usually needs longer cranking time 3-6secs ), only during cold season ( no snow here in riyadh but temp ranges from 12-22C). i'm sure the battery is ok, changed spark plugs already, tried fuel injector cleaner (stp) but the problem persist. a friend sez check the igniton timing, another told me to look at the fuel system (expensive?), HELP!!! tnx anyways!!! more power guyz!!! :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are you sure your battery is fine? :huh:

I would have your battery load tested and have your charging system checked.
You can do all of these things yourself with a multimeter, if you have one! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm pretty sure the battery is fine dr. hyundi. and i only use ngk sparkplug bought from hyundai center.
it just puzzles me because every start and the entire duration of the cold season the problem persists, and once the hot weather comes, as expected the problem will go away.

any more suspects mr. hyundi and duke? tnx a lot for the quick response.

btw my sonata is 1k short from 350K mileage, and it never fails me for several years now (except for the hard-starting problem). i only go thru the usual mtce routine, like oil+filter change (evry 3mos , fuel & air filter, battery (every 12mos), spark-plugs and brake-pad as necessary. it's a keeper (& i am not a racer) , and i intend to just use the car, take care of it until the engine simply dies.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
HAVE your Hyundai dealer check the engine temperature sensor for the ECM. This can be done only with the "HI-SCAN", preferably when the engine is cold.
Also, a compression test would be a good idea.
When was the timing belts replaced last ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tbelt was replaced 50k km ago, it's fine isn't it?

that's pretty sensible duke. i'll check that one out soon as i can. tnx. but for the meantime, any quick fix on this? tnx a lot duke and to you too, mr. hundi.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hahaha, dike your pretty quick mate.
That was my next plan of attack, the ECT sensor (engine coolant temperature), another thing that I noticed is that it is a '95' model, these used an airflow sensor the hot wire, or air temp sensor could also have failed you.

But would do as Duke said and have the codes checked via the Hi Scan.

How long has it been since you have had the coolant changed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dr. hundi, coolant has been changed just within this year when i changed both the lower and upper radiator hose, btw, my car has never ever over heated even in really hot summer ( 48C or more ).

is that air temp sensor = oxygen sensor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to add, once it has been started and driven for a while and i stop or park and shut the engine off and start it again, it's one-click, but after few hrs that i leave it parked/off (may be 3hrs or more) it will take some cranking time again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It is possible that you are loosing residual line pressure in your fuel lines, causing your car to crank for a while until your rail pressure is up to operating pressure. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
good thought !!

The pressure must be 40lbs or a little higher (to prevent fuel perculating in the line) for at least 3+ hours, it can drop to nearly 0lbs over night

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so guys, you mean i need to look into the fuel system delivery now like the fuel pressure regulator? where is it located. how to check the said enough pressure? tnx again!

·
Registered
422 Posts
It could be one of two things.
it could be your fuel pressure regulator, whichn if there is a fuel pressure dissapation problem, would be more likely of the cause.
Or it could be your line pressure check valve in your fuel pump itself.

Best bet would be to have a pressure test carried out on your fuel system.
If duke says that it is 40lbs, then 40lbs it is, and in reality at least 50% of that pressure should remain in the fuel rail for your next start.
This is just an estimate.
The workshop manual will give you a spec on what the fuel pressure should be, but it may not give you the leeway allowed for a worn motor left overnight!

Check the workshop manual and scope out what it says!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by ferdieb@Nov 4 2004, 04:17 PM
:mellow: hi to every one! i'm from saudi arabia, i drive a 95' 2.0 manual trans sonata.  i need help as to where to start looking, the problem is my sonata hard starts ( usually needs longer cranking time 3-6secs ), only during cold season ( no snow here in riyadh but temp ranges from 12-22C).  i'm sure the battery is ok, changed spark plugs already, tried fuel injector cleaner (stp) but the problem persist.  a friend sez check the igniton timing, another told me to look at the fuel system (expensive?), HELP!!! tnx anyways!!! more power guyz!!! :)
[snapback]2347[/snapback]​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by ferdieb@Nov 4 2004, 04:17 PM
:mellow: hi to every one! i'm from saudi arabia, i drive a 95' 2.0 manual trans sonata.  i need help as to where to start looking, the problem is my sonata hard starts ( usually needs longer cranking time 3-6secs ), only during cold season ( no snow here in riyadh but temp ranges from 12-22C).  i'm sure the battery is ok, changed spark plugs already, tried fuel injector cleaner (stp) but the problem persist.  a friend sez check the igniton timing, another told me to look at the fuel system (expensive?), HELP!!! tnx anyways!!! more power guyz!!! :)
[snapback]2347[/snapback]​

I had this problem they told me it was the batter did not have enoug cranking amp. should be 650 i had only 150.0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi to all!

i jst wnt2 tnx all who replied to my post, my problem is solved now. it was a disconnected harness in the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. i tell you, it felt great solving the problem, esp one that bothers me enough. now i don't have to buy a ferrari, my sonata is just fine, (hahaha).

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts