Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's SFS 2014 2.4L started exhibiting a "hard start". It started a few weeks ago and I thought it was because it was cold but on the cold days sometimes it would start up fine and some days I'd hold the push button for 3 - 4 seconds while it turn but not start. It's random, on a warm day one time it would start cold immediately and one time crank for 3-4 seconds. The battery is 3.5 years old but lights and everything work fine when the car is off. Anyone else have this "problem"? I'm fearful at some point my wife will be driving and it won't start while she's in the city or far away from home.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That button is a momentary contacts switch. Once you press it the on board computers see that signal and proceed to attempt to start the engine. They will crank it for "X" seconds per the manufacturer's design and then stoop cranking if the engine fails to start. There is no need to hold the button down until the engine starts and I'd encourage you not to do so if only because it might create some confusion within the system.

On cold days the engine will often crank longer than on a warm day. I have never timed either of our vehicles but I don't think they crank for 3+ seconds. 2-3 seconds? Entirely possible. Remember that there is a lot going on. The computers are taking readings from the various temperature sensors and possibly other factors so at any given temperature there may be some variance in cranking times.

For now I'd suggest just using the switch as designed and see if that offers any change.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and I'll let you know. However, the SFS never exhibited this problem before, that is why I am asking if this is normal. Typically, I'd press the button and it would start immediately. Now it cranks, I'm guessing, about 3 seconds or so but it most certainly is longer than normal. Like I said earlier, then sometimes I press the button and it starts immediately. I wonder if disconnecting the battery would reset possibly some "bug" in the software? However, I'll only do that if it gets noticeably worse.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
With 3.5 years on the battery you are getting very close to a new one. I would change it now since it could fail at any time and leave you stranded.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
+1. Is it original? Yes, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO REPLACE! DON'T EVEN CHECK IT. No, have it checked. If the car is off and everything works fine, that does not mean anything. Starting a car is what a battery is made for and is the highest load. I would not disconnect it and try again, but that's up to you. Have it checked properly at a dealer preferably, but most stores do it. Also, mileage and location help, too. (info)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts