Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Noting I had my car in the shop for this, and they reset the adaptive values. Picked it up last week, this past weekend the issue popped up again and I captured it on video. As someone else mentioned, it's hard to tell from the video what's happening because you can't really hear the issue, as it's a more physical jolt.

Anyway, emailed the dealer, waiting to hear back on next steps. Mine is a 2017, so not sure the solenoid issue is relevant but I referenced it anyway in my email.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you sure you're not confusing this with "TCC chuggle", which is the torque converter being unable to decide whether to lock or unlock during a shift?

If I decelerate my car to a crawl (think underground parking lot speeds) without fully stopping, then try to takeoff very gently, I get a noticeable thud. I never have this issue on the highway or during routine urban driving.

Mine is a 2019 model.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Noting I had my car in the shop for this, and they reset the adaptive values. Picked it up last week, this past weekend the issue popped up again
Persistence is key. They told me to pick up my car several times during the 44 days and I refused. Remember to call the Service Director daily, request they test drive the vehicle 3X per day, have the Service Director contact the district rep and escalate it to the field service engineer. The field service engineer can approve TSB's without duplicating the problem. Contact the National Consumer Affairs (714) 965-3179 Hyundai Motor America and get a case number, call them every 2/3 days.

Mine is a 2017, so not sure the solenoid issue is relevant but I referenced it anyway in my email.
2017 does have a 19 power train related TSB's. You can review all 72 TSB's here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spoke with the service manager today, he said the documenting doesn't really help him if they can't replicate the issue I'm the shop. We decided I'd start the car and run it multiple times a day and just drive it over once I experience the issue so they can take a look. That way I can control how often it's being tested without just leaving it to his team. I'll let y'all know when I have an update, but the manager did say it sounds like I'll need a new transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spoke with the service manager today, he said the documenting doesn't really help him if they can't replicate the issue I'm the shop. We decided I'd start the car and run it multiple times a day and just drive it over once I experience the issue so they can take a look. That way I can control how often it's being tested without just leaving it to his team. I'll let y'all know when I have an update, but the manager did say it sounds like I'll need a new transmission.
Interested to see how yours goes. I have gotten a call from Hyundai corporate and had a long converstation with them. I have a video sent to my dealer and i have to drop the car off to them. Fighting the fight. If yours does happen to do it on a trip, what i did was record the tachometer\speedometer. In my video every time the issue happened you could see the tach jump by a small amount 500RPM or less, then in a second or two it jumped up the remaining 500rpm that it should have went to originally. We recently took the car out again on vacay and had no issue on the way out till i got to the property. Shut the car off. Went in to check in and came out to move car and the car thud shifted again. However once parked and shut off, didnt have the problem the rest of the week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This week I'll be trying to replicate the issue, as it happened again twice this weekend. I'm actually a bit relieved it continues to happen, which means I'll have less of an issue with the dealer.

I did escalate to Hyundai corporate who will be assigning someone to my case. I'm hoping they'll have familiarity with the issue and be able to recommend a fix my dealer wasn't able to do yet.

I'm at 58k miles, so nearing the end of the warranty and I'm working diligently to ensure it's all taken care of/documented before I eclipse 60k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Figured I'd post an update. Was able to replicate the issue this afternoon, but none of the service departments in the area were available for me to take it in to get scanned. Talk about frustrating.

I was driving around the neighborhood, and restarting the car at each stop sign to see if I could make it happen. Finally occurred on about the 5th try at a stop where I was making a hard right, and it was on an incline facing downhill. Doubt the conditions have any influence, but figured it was worth sharing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I spoke with the service manager today, he said the documenting doesn't really help him if they can't replicate the issue I'm the shop.
Not true, the the field service engineer can approve TSB's without duplicating the problem.

Finally occurred on about the 5th try at a stop where I was making a hard right
Keep a log book and report each occurance to your National Consumer Affairs contact representative.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah my national rep hasnt any help at all, honestly. Basically said as far as Hyundai is concerned, it's operating as it should which is pretty infuriating to hear. I've been keeping track though, and I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a bummer to read. Mine has been at the dealership for a week now. Supposed to hear about it today. My consumer advocate has been been very good in keeping contact with me. But just not looking good as far as I can see. Really disappointed in Hyundai about this stuff. My consumer advocate told me he has heard of other cases with this. So they know its an issue. But getting anything done about it.............. thats a whole nother issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So update on mine......... was informed today that they replaced the tranmisson range sensor switch which i believe when researching it was a recalled part. They are keeping it till at least Wed now to further test it after this replacement. I have a gleam of hope that this may fix it but honestly still have a low confidence that this is the issue. But we will see. At least something is getting done.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts