Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing everyday my trans does a hard shift from first to second. Car has 77K miles and is less the 3.5 yrs old. Took it to the dealer and the service writer told me my oil level was low but my transaxle had no leaks. Go figure that one out!! And it needed to have the reset done so the transaxle can relearn the shift points. All of this I have to pay for even though he admits there is a 100K warranty on the transaxle.

Can't wrap my head around this is a service issue and not a warranty issue.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
918 Posts
If the fluid was actually low, that isn't a warranty item, just normal maintenance.
Hopefully that will correct the issue, although I doubt it, so wait and see.
There is an A/T fluid temp sensor and if that goes haywire shift problems can occur with no cel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First thing everyday my trans does a hard shift from first to second. Car has 77K miles and is less the 3.5 yrs old. Took it to the dealer and the service writer told me my oil level was low but my transaxle had no leaks. Go figure that one out!! And it needed to have the reset done so the transaxle can relearn the shift points. All of this I have to pay for even though he admits there is a 100K warranty on the transaxle.

Any suggestions???
You are lucky if it does it every time, easy to diagnose. They probably need to replace the solenoid valve per MC 19-AT-009H. should be under warranty if you are original owner. Details in my post here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer position is since there is "no code" there is nothing to fix. Service writer knows it is doing the hard shift but will do nothing to address the issue. He says the only thing that can be done is I pay for the oil change and reset of the Adaptive Learning Values and "that may fix the issue". Why is the reset my cost as that is clearly a warranty issue, oh I forgot there are no codes so there is nothing wrong.

Stupid beyond belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to do a flush and drive for a week and then flush again and see if fresh oil helps any. Also will disconnect the battery overnight and hopefully that will do a reset on the values. Not sure that will accomplish clearing the values or not.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
85 Posts
The dealer position is since there is "no code" there is nothing to fix.
Read this service bulletin:

It states "If no DTC"... "Remove the 26B solenoid and install a new solenoid". It can't get any more clear than that.

Contact National Consumer Affairs (714) 965-3179 Hyundai Motor America

Contact the Service Director of your shop, provide a summary, and give them your HMA case number.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine did this, but only on cold starts. Dealership had to keep it overnight and started it cold in the morning to experience the problem. They replaced a shift solenoid in the transmission. Fully covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any suggestions???
What I've done to remedy this is to pull over and turn of the car and remove the key and it will reset it self. (5 sec) Not sure if the key removal is a help but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anybody know if this relates to the 2017 model. I have had several issues with our 2017 SE. Always seems to happen after a long travel time.. We typically drive to Cape Cod a couple times a year. After driving an hour or so we usually stop. Go to back out of spot and the thing clunks almost as if someone hit it in the front. Then upon driving forward from a stop or sometimes even driving slow it almost slips and then clunks into gear. Has slipped a bit on the highway as well. Always no codes. I have brought this to 2 different dealers and they cant find the problem. There are no codes. Once the car is shut off and turned on again the problem goes away. I have reported it to Hyundaui affairs which is no help. I have brought it to our dealers attention multiple times with no luck. Its god **** frustrating as we are stuck with the car. But dont even feel safe taking it on a long trip. It almost seems as though some of the ideas here as far as solenoid or temp sensor could be the fix. But just dont know as it seems most people have the 2016 with these problems. And the bulletin i saw in the thread was for 2015-2016.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I've done to remedy this is to pull over and turn of the car and remove the key and it will reset it self. (5 sec) Not sure if the key removal is a help but I do it anyway.
Have also done this to solve the problem with ours but this is a band-aid not a fix.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Generally speaking, a knocking and slipping transmission means that it is failing.

Try a different dealer, or have an independent transmission workshop perform diagnostics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its impossible to get this solved with a dealer which is the problem. Its a ghost issue. It happens and once you shut the car off and turn back on it goes away. I have had ours to 2 different dealers and neither of them can resolve which i am sure other people have had the same problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not impossible, I got it done, details here:

Recommended steps
  • Obtain video evidence, with audio.
  • On the day you drop it off, watch the video with the Service Director.
  • That same day, call National Consumer Affairs (714) 965-3179 Hyundai Motor America and open a case number.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not impossible, I got it done, details here:

Recommended steps
  • Obtain video evidence, with audio.
  • On the day you drop it off, watch the video with the Service Director.
  • That same day, call National Consumer Affairs (714) 965-3179 Hyundai Motor America and open a case number.
This thing is with ours, is at this point it really is off the wall random. It hasnt happened in awhile. And not sure what i can video. I did bring this up to Hyundai affairs already and had a case number already. They just told me to bring it to the dealer to duplicate. You seem to have had the issue happen more often which enabled you to video it. We are planning a trip end of June and i anticipate it happening again so will use your recommendation to try and video it at that point.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This thing is with ours, is at this point it really is off the wall random. It hasnt happened in awhile. And not sure what i can video. I did bring this up to Hyundai affairs already and had a case number already. They just told me to bring it to the dealer to duplicate. You seem to have had the issue happen more often which enabled you to video it. We are planning a trip end of June and i anticipate it happening again so will use your recommendation to try and video it at that point.
It did not happen very often. Every ~20 trips, on cold start, it would jolt the first time it shifted from first to second gear, no issue for the rest of the trip. Every ~80 trips it jolted every time it shifted from first to second gear for the duration of the trip.

The key is to be persistent.

Record video every time you drive the vehicle. To position and stabilize my cell phone (see pics) I used the cell phone clamp from my Giottos memoire 100 trekking pole
GIOTTO’S IND. INC. If the hard shift does not occur, delete the video and try again next time.

When you drop off the vehicle for repair, watch the video with the Service Director (not the service advisor) and request they cold start the vehicle and drive it around the parking lot 3-4 times a day. Call Service Director daily and National Consumer Affairs every 2-3 days. Have the Service Director contact the district rep and escalate it to the field service engineer. Have the field service engineer watch the video, review TSB 19-AH-009H, and approve TSB 19-AH-009H solenoid valve replacement without duplicating it at the shop.

The shop can perform the service without duplicating the problem if the field service engineer authorises it. TSB 19-AH-009H states "If no DTC"... "Remove the 26B solenoid and install a new solenoid".

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
It did not happen very often. Every ~20 trips, on cold start, it would jolt the first time it shifted from first to second gear, no issue for the rest of the trip. Every ~80 trips it jolted every time it shifted from first to second gear for the duration of the trip.

The key is to be persistent.

Record video every time you drive the vehicle. To position and stabilize my cell phone (see pics) I used the cell phone clamp from my Giottos memoire 100 trekking pole
GIOTTO’S IND. INC. If the hard shift does not occur, delete the video and try again next time.

When you drop off the vehicle for repair, watch the video with the Service Director (not the service advisor) and request they cold start the vehicle and drive it around the parking lot 3-4 times a day. Call Service Director daily and National Consumer Affairs every 2-3 days. Have the Service Director contact the district rep and escalate it to the field service engineer. Have the field service engineer watch the video, review TSB 19-AH-009H, and approve TSB 19-AH-009H solenoid valve replacement without duplicating it at the shop.

The shop can perform the service without duplicating the problem if the field service engineer authorises it. TSB 19-AH-009H states "If no DTC"... "Remove the 26B solenoid and install a new solenoid".
Was yours just the 1-2 shifts? Is the solenoid replacement only for 1-2 shifts? Had the issue pop up last night again. Video the tach speedo like you did. Mine does this on start from a stop around 1-2 shift. However on the way home traveling highway speed 75mph cruise control set, it thud shifted multiple times. But that wouldnt be a 1-2 at highway speed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was yours just the 1-2 shifts? Is the solenoid replacement only for 1-2 shifts? Had the issue pop up last night again. Video the tach speedo like you did. Mine does this on start from a stop around 1-2 shift. However on the way home traveling highway speed 75mph cruise control set, it thud shifted multiple times. But that wouldnt be a 1-2 at highway speed.
Only 1-2 for me. "Thud shifted" is a good description. If you got that highway speed "thud shift" on video, it would be very good evidence to show the Service Director when you drop it off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only 1-2 for me. "Thud shifted" is a good description. If you got that highway speed "thud shift" on video, it would be very good evidence to show the Service Director when you drop it off.
The only downside is its hard to translate that thud shift to video. What you do see is the tach jumps up slightly for about 1-2 seconds then ticks up the whole way like it should have. If that makes sense. At least 4-5 places in the video where it did that. Hoping for the best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts