Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best cold weather fluid for a 2017 Elantra SE?

Mine has started hard shifting in cold weather...until the car warms up, then it shifts perfectly. I took it to the dealership and they said this is normal Hyundai transmission shifting in cold weather. So I asked Hyundai directly and they too said this hard shifting is “expected” in Hyundais during cold weather.

Someone told me they switched to AMSOIL-ATLQT and the cold weather shifting went away. I currently have the Hyundai SP4-M which apparently isn’t fully synthetic, so what is the best fluid for cold weather in a 2017 Elantra SE? TIA!

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
514 Posts
The best ATF is almost always the factory recommended fluid. They designed, built, tested and programmed the transmission to use that fluid.
You say the car "started" shifting hard in cold weather. If the transmission shifted smoothly in cold weather last year but not now, it is logical to conclude something is wrong.
A proper diagnosis with scan tool hooked up and driven in the cold by someone who knows what they are doing would be ideal but good luck finding someone to do that.
Changing the ATF is cheap and you are probably due for it anyways.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Maxlife is full syn and many times cheaper than Amsoil. I've been using it for 3 years with no issues.

Attachments

Reactions: npcz83

·
Registered
635 Posts
Your fluid is synthetic too: http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static...371787260727/SP4-M+Promo-Sell+Sheet-FINAL.pdf

Changing it might help, it needs to be done at every 40-50k miles, no matter of what "lifetime" claims manufacture has.

Reactions: NDSE

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best ATF is almost always the factory recommended fluid. They designed, built, tested and programmed the transmission to use that fluid.
You say the car "started" shifting hard in cold weather. If the transmission shifted smoothly in cold weather last year but not now, it is logical to conclude something is wrong.
A proper diagnosis with scan tool hooked up and driven in the cold by someone who knows what they are doing would be ideal but good luck finding someone to do that.
Changing the ATF is cheap and you are probably due for it anyways.
My scanner didn’t show any codes and the dealership also got zero codes. They even ran the car hooked up to their tablet and all the shifts were in the normal timing range and everything. This is when I decided to contact Hyundai and do some research and found that hard shifting is common in Hyundais during cold weather, Hyundai themselves confirming hard shifting in cold weather is normal and expected.

·
Registered
635 Posts
hard shifting in cold weather is normal and expected
That's BS. I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata that doesn't shift hard in cold. And a 2011 Kia Soul for that matter.
We had 28-30F here. I am not sure what means "cold weather" for you.

Reactions: tc0566

·
Registered
293 Posts
What's the mileage on your Elantra? On multiple cars, I've noticed ~30k miles is when the ATF shift performance starts degrading. A fluid change always fixes it right up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Took my 2015 Santa Fe for the same thing and they replaced a solenoid per a TSB. That didn't work as it continued to hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Now it's getting a new transmission. I'd press a little more. Hard shifting no matter what the weather is not normal. Unless you are in antarctica, then I would not just sit on that excuse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Classic cold viscosity issue .

No the genuine fluid isn't best .

Select an appropriate few and compare it's cold viscosity , they're not all the same , select the thinner when cold ( cSt ) .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's BS. I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata that doesn't shift hard in cold. And a 2011 Kia Soul for that matter.
We had 28-30F here. I am not sure what means "cold weather" for you.
I didn’t say all Hyundais do it. But Hyundai themselves admit their transmissions are expected to hard shift in cold weather. If they don’t, good. But if they do—like mine did, and I complained, they told me it’s within normal shifting behavior...it wasn’t throwing any codes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Many wrong things won't throw codes and they are still not normal. And, IMO, that's not a "Hyundai themselves" statement, is just a guy in a dealership blowing smoke. If it was official, there would be a TSB or something.

But... whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, Snarky McSnide. First a mechanic told me it’s normal for Hyundai transmissions to shift a little rough in cold temps. I didn’t believe that, so I researched myself and found that harsh shifting in cold temps is listed by multiple sources as a common issue in Hyundai transmissions. So I contacted the company Hyundai—not a dealer—to make the point you’re trying to make: that it can’t be normal for ANY transmission to hard shift in cold temperatures, especially given that my car only has 30K miles. They too then told me it is within “normal” and “expected” shifting standards for Hyundai in very cold temperatures.

But if you think you know what it could be, enlighten me...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am at 30k and transmissions still shifts smooth when cold (knock on wood). If it were mine I would start with changing the fluid to see if that helps. What fluid you use depends on what you are comfortable with. If I was doing it myself I would go with fluid that has a record of better performance. On my last car I used Amsoil with good success.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My scanner didn’t show any codes and the dealership also got zero codes. They even ran the car hooked up to their tablet and all the shifts were in the normal timing range and everything. This is when I decided to contact Hyundai and do some research and found that hard shifting is common in Hyundais during cold weather, Hyundai themselves confirming hard shifting in cold weather is normal and expected.
When i doubt use hyundais oem fluid its what i only use i know everyone says different on here. But Your Transmission was factory filled with it why use anything else. i would use it to do a few drane & fills with some driving in- between each drain & fill clean the magnet end on each drain and you will be fine. (y)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If MaxLife is approved by Hyundai, there is no way in heII I will pay 4X the money for theirs! Or Amsoil.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not sure if npcz83 2017 elantra has any warranty left on the trany but that's the correct fluid to stick by hyundais warranty standards.

·
Registered
635 Posts
MaxLife is approved by Hyundai
It's not "approved" by anyone. Valvoline claims compatibility and that's all.
It is a LV fluid, and it should be used only in place of other LV fluids.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What is the best cold weather fluid for a 2017 Elantra SE?

Mine has started hard shifting in cold weather...until the car warms up, then it shifts perfectly. I took it to the dealership and they said this is normal Hyundai transmission shifting in cold weather. So I asked Hyundai directly and they too said this hard shifting is “expected” in Hyundais during cold weather.

Someone told me they switched to AMSOIL-ATLQT and the cold weather shifting went away. I currently have the Hyundai SP4-M which apparently isn’t fully synthetic, so what is the best fluid for cold weather in a 2017 Elantra SE? TIA!
There is no best cold weather fluid.

Cold shift harshness could also be worn out friction modifiers, sheared/oxidized base oils and v modifiers. Time for new fluid. Common in some Hyundais was defective temp sensors....

What location? how many miles?

I would either drain/refill a few times or do a cooler line exchange. Probably stick with Hyundai/Kia/Ravenol/Aisin OE specific SP4 ATF and to rule out any other issues.

The OE fluid is pretty thin.

Having synthetic basestocks is not the same as full synthetic.

Temps: 100/40/-40
Amsoil ATL 6.3/30/7676
Redline D6 6.3/31/4500
Maxlife 5.9/28/9000

OE fluid 5.2-5.5/25-30<9000

For MPG, the OE fluid is thinnest in normal operating temperature up to a point. If you're not under -20 to -30c, then you probably won't benefit from Amsoil or Redline. And, at those temps, you need block/oilpan/atfpan heaters.

Ravenol SP-4 is a groupIII/IV full synthetic. I little slug of PAO might make a positive difference.
Aisin is also full synthetic.

Reactions: npcz83
1 - 20 of 51 Posts