Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Premium has an intermittent hard upshift from 1st to 2nd gear. Each hard upshift the transmission seems to slip for a moment then jolts the car, one time spinning the rear wheels. It will go 20+ trips with no issue. Every ~20 trips, on cold start, it will jolt the first time it shifts from first to second gear, no issue for the rest of the trip. Twice in ~80 trips it has jolted every time it shifts from first to second gear for the duration of the entire trip regardless of auto/sport mode or eco on/off.

I recorded/uploaded video of a trip where it jolted every 1-2 upshift:
For each jolt, you can hear a "thud" and see the camera shake. Hyperlinks are available in the video description to quickly jump to each hardshift occurance.

Any ideas @AUTOSPARK @sbr711 ???

I have a Hyundai service appointment Wednesday 9/18. At 50K miles I am expecting this to be covered under powertrain warranty. We will see what they say.

Kind regards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Similar thing (hard shifting) occured on my 13 SFS 2.0t.
Vehicle was under warranty and tranny temp sensor was replaced. Service tech had to be certain so I left it overnight se he can see it himself on a cold start.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rescheduled service appointment to 9/25 due other obligations. I plan to recommend the following to the Hyundai service center.

Connect a GDS and check for DTC. Compare with MC 19-AT-012H
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163279-9999.pdf

Use GDS to measure shift engagement time per MC 18-AT-004
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10138240-9999.pdf

If no DTC, replace solenoid valve per MC 19-AT-009H
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160103-9999.pdf

If transmission replacement is deemed necessary

Check torque converter depth prior to installation per MC 17-AT-007
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10123305-9999.pdf

Check ATF level after installation per MC 16-AT-004
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081115-0699.pdf

RESET (ERASE) AND RELEARN THE PCM/TCM ADAPTIVE VALUES per MC 16-AT-001-2
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10082455-0699.pdf

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Similar on mine too. Although mine never made a thud noise 😬 Cold start rough shift 1 to 2. Slippage was on 3 to 4 during a heavier acceleration. Dealer said they couldn't reproduce it so they reset the TCU to relearn and the slippage seems to be gone but the cold start rough shifting is still there.

I'm looking to using aftermarket transmission fluid soon - had good results doing it on the 09 Sonata.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Santa Fe Limited was doing the same thing. After the 3rd trip to the dealership, some kind of switch replacement that I had to pay for (because I was at 65,000 miles), they had my car for 3 weeks. I love my dealership. They were determined. I ended up with a new transmission. Now my air bag light is on

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I picked up my vehicle today after 44 days in the shop, actions taken are listed below.
-Completed TSB 18-AT-004, GDS ANALYSIS (in spec)
-Reset adaptive values
-Completed TSB 19-AT-004, GDS ANALYSIS (no change)
-Completed TSB 19-AH-009H, solenoid valve replacement
-Transmission hard shift confirmed, CODE PO734
-Verified proper solenoid installation (in spec)
-Transaxle oil cooler flushed
-Transmission replaced

28 days were spent convincing the Hyundai shop to take more action than resetting adaptive values. Shop tried “multiple times” to duplicate the issue but would not initiate or report daily number of attempts. Video evidence was not considered during the first 28 days due to computer/network issues in the shop. I contacted the Service Director who was able to watch the video with the mechanic and contact the district rep who escalated it to the field service engineer. The field service engineer watched the video, reviewed the documentation, and approved TSB 19-AH-009H solenoid valve replacement. The remaining 16 days were spent waiting for parts to arrive and be installed. National Consumer Affairs (714) 965-3179 Hyundai Motor America was contacted midway through the process, a case number was created, but no apparent value came from that effort. I give credit to the Service Director for being my advocate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow. I can't imagine anyone going into that as well-informed as you were, and even having the video documentation, and it still took that long to get resolution. Awesome persistence and patience.

I have to ask: Do you think about selling the vehicle at all now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to ask: Do you think about selling the vehicle at all now?
Good question. It has not crossed my mind to sell this vehicle. I still think this is the most underrated SUV on the planet and I plan to own both my Santa Fe's for many years. Look at all the preventive maintenance just performed on my 50K mile vehicle at no cost to me: three times they performed both an ATF and coolant dump/fill, they performed a transaxle oil cooler flush, and installed a new transmission.

When purchasing my 3+ year-old used cars, I base it on data from complaints, recalls, and service bulletins - but every system has failure potential and complex systems fail in complicated ways. Hyundai has done a great job covering all identified issues under warranty at no charge and I still have 10K left on that very generous warranty. Any shop is required to repeat an issue prior to authorizing/initiating warranty repairs. When they send the part back to corporate the shop could be liable if the part is found to be good. It is extremely difficult to duplicate infrequent intermittent issues. Knowing video evidence would be necessary for my case, I recorded every time I drove the car (easy to do these days). Finding SB 17-AT-007 was extremely helpful as it perfectly described my problem, stated "If no DTC" perform the SB, and contained exacting verbiage: "If the harsh 1-2 shift returns, replace the transmission." My recommendation to others in this same situation, get the Service Director involved early and show everybody the video evidence when you drop off the car.

Kind regards.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I noticed that if I'm harder on the acceleration it shifts smoother... wtf? lol
Same here, especially when I'm in ECO mode.

It's like the transmission is hesitating a little when I apply the throttle slowly and gradually. Do I lock or unlock the torque converter? Do I shift now or shift after? The transmission, probably.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Same here, especially when I'm in ECO mode.

It's like the transmission is hesitating a little when I apply the throttle slowly and gradually. Do I lock or unlock the torque converter? Do I shift now or shift after? The transmission, probably.
The technical term for this is called "chuggle". And it is exactly as you describe here and was an issue I had in my 2019 XL. More exaggerated when going uphill than on a flat section of road, but still present. The problem could be somewhat "masked" by a Pedal Commander set to City -2 or Sport -4 modes, but that also brought a harsh downshift into 1st gear when re-accelerating from a 5-10 MPH "stop".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine did this, but only on cold starts. Dealership had to keep it overnight and started it cold in the morning to experience the problem. They replaced a shift solenoid in the transmission. Fully covered by warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts