Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - my 2010 AWD Tucson is doing something that to me feels quite strange. While driving along and seeing a red light or stop sign ahead I would generally lay off the gas and coast a bit then brake as needed. When I hit about 35-ish MPH I assume it down shifts to first, but it feels pretty rough - like the brake was tapped. I don't know if this is normal or what, I have driven standard transmissions all my life making the Tucson my first automatic. So I ask you fellow owners to get up above 40 mph and coast down to the low 30's and see what happens. By the way, i am just under 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I couldn't say if this is normal or not, but I have noticed my FWD (just broke 1100 miles this morning) doing the same thing during a coast. I brake the same way - spot a needed stop ahead, coast until closer, then brake. The longer the "coast," the more likely it'll happen (or be noticeable, maybe?) I don't know if I would list it in the "problem" category just yet, but I've been paying attention to it. I'm glad you asked. I look forward to the answers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi,

Mine does it as well (at about 30~32mph). Doesn't really bother me, but the new Sonata does it as well (same tranny). There's a long thread about it somewhere in the Sonata 5G forum. I believe the consensus is that it's normal, but certainly different from any other automatic I've driven. All other upshifts and downshifts are smooth, just not the downshift that occuring at 30mph.

-Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
My FWD, 900 miles, also does the same. I observe a stop sign; lay off the acceleration and coast and around 30ish miles per hour the transmission downshifts fairly hard to first gear. Last week, I dropped by the local dealer and I drove two other Tucson GLS FWD's. They both had the same characteristic. The service manager rode with me and gave the expected "way the tranny operates." Apparently the Sonata and Tucson have the same tranny like Todd shared and the hard downshift to first gear when coasting must be normal. Appreciate hearing that others have experience the same!
-Will

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm approaching 6000 miles on mine now and I'd say that the behavior is what passes for "normal". I've felt mine do this several times. It is definitely more noticeable sometimes but most of the time I never feel the downshifts.

There is definitely something a bit unconventional in Hyundai's shift logic. An idiosyncracy that I've noticed with mine is that if I start off from a dead stop with the green ECO light lit, I get gentle but acceptable acceleration. However, if I step down on the throttle just the least bit harder and extinguish the ECO light, the car seems to fall flat on its face. I have to use nearly half throttle to get the car to accelerate with the flow of traffic. Once I get up to speed and back off the throttle to illuninate the ECO light, all seems to be back to "normal." I find it very strange that a larger throttle opening results in SLOWER acceleration. It's not a real problem for me but it sure is puzzling.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Mine does it too. Now if only the brake lights automatically get "tapped" too while it's doing it...

Not to veer off-topic (too much) but here are a couple of other things I've noticed on my Tucson:

1. From a standstill after decelerating, when I step on the gas lightly to start moving again, the car won't let go of first until 3000-4000 rpm. Doesn't do it all the time but it's rather odd.

2. Sometimes when turning the steering wheel right after starting the engine, the thing won't budge, as though the electric assist was fighting to center the wheels.

Again, these don't happen all the time but item #2 kinda scares me sometimes with the thought that it might do that WHILE the car is on the road. Thankfully it's never happened.

N

·
Registered
838 Posts
My Tuc does the same thing, I wouldn't call it a hard downshift, but you can feel it. My previous 2005 Tucson LX AWD did the same thing all it's life with no issues, I just accepted it as normal operation. I think it also might be a bit more noticable on the AWD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies, sounds like this is normal for Hyundai... It seems odd and I will make mention of it on a regular service check just for giggles. At least for now, thanks to you kind folks, I can calm down about it :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE (dongrntuc @ Jun 18 2010, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334093
However, if I step down on the throttle just the least bit harder and extinguish the ECO light, the car seems to fall flat on its face. I have to use nearly half throttle to get the car to accelerate with the flow of traffic. Once I get up to speed and back off the throttle to illuninate the ECO light, all seems to be back to "normal." I find it very strange that a larger throttle opening results in SLOWER acceleration. It's not a real problem for me but it sure is puzzling.
FINALLY! Someone else thinks this is odd!!! My Tucson does the same thing, and I have even thought the ECM might be defective... I have NEVER driven a car that behaves that way. In fact no ICE (internal combustion engine) that I know of behaves that way... the more air it gets, the faster it goes! That's the common practice. Not so with our Tucsons... Very unusual!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I have the same disappointment for the fuel efficiency. My car is 2010 tucson fwd automatic and driven around 6,500km as of today. I complained about it after the first month and was told to wait up to 5,000km. I recently changed the oil and again was told it will get better after the first oil change. Hyundai claims 6.3lt (37.3mpg) on highway and 9.0Lt (26.1mpg) on city for automatic fwd transmission. I am not even close to these ratings so far. I drive 70% highway and 30% city most of the time on eco mode. I use all different tactics to reduce my mpg but it doesn’t help much. I am currently getting 8.5 lt (27.6mpg) on highway and around 11.5lt (20.5mpg) on city with average around 9.8lt (24.0mpg). This is far off than what Hyundai claims. My wife has Mazda 3 and I tested both vehicles in the same road and speed conditions. (Mazda claims 6.4lt highway and 9.1lt on city) I get average of 7.6lt mix hgw/city from 2008 Mazda3. It is much accurate than Hyundai.
I also noticed that the car has hard down shift when I lay off the gas pedal especially on highways. I believe this might be one of the reasons for the high fuel consumption.
Overall, it is a nice car, but do not buy this car only for the fuel efficiency. I will keep you post if I see any improvements.
Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought my 2014 elantra limited in June 2015. Car was great until I started noticing the rough downshifts a few months into driving. Spent most of the winter months researching this problem and reading all the forums. Tried to get dealers to help but they wouldn't acknowledge anything was wrong.

Now that summer's back on east coast, i just realized that when my AC is on, the car drives smooth with no harsh downshifts when coming to a stop!!

I'll be keeping the AC on permanently. You can still stay warm by turning to red.

Many forums mention hyundai's 'smart' alternator which gets charged up during deceleration by downshifting and using the RPM rev to send power to the alternator on an as needed basis, hence the intermittent problem with rough downshifts.

With AC on, I believe the alternator is always working and getting juice, not just when downshifting.

Try running your cars with AC on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts