Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I took my Santa Fe in for routine oil and filter change I have noticed that when I get into car and put my foot on brake pedal it is stiff and won't move until I push the start button to start car. It never did it before and I'm wondering if they changed one of my settings if there are any for the brake pedal. Maybe some kind of safety update?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
812 Posts
After I took my Santa Fe in for routine oil and filter change I have noticed that when I get into car and put my foot on brake pedal it is stiff and won't move until I push the start button to start car. It never did it before and I'm wondering if they changed one of my settings if there are any for the brake pedal. Maybe some kind of safety update?
This is normal after the car has been off for some time. With no engine running, no vacuum is being created for the brake booster.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,256 Posts
It is normal if someone pumped the brake pedal with engine off a few times for whatever reason. The pedal gets stiffer from each pump, to a point that it is solid. Nothing to be concern, it returns to normal on the next engine start.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback but, I guess what I'm saying is when I took it to the dealer for service it wasn't doing what it's doing now. It never had a hard brake pedal when I got in car to start it. Now it does until engine starts then it feels normal.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The high school kid who did the oil change might have done it. Maybe as a prank :LOL:
Don't worry about it, not harmful.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Are you saying it happens everyday now? Like every morning before you start it? or are you saying it happened that one time you picked it up after the service?

If it only happened that once, it's totally normally.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happens every day now.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It is normal if pump the brake with engine off. I assume u don't do that everyday for leg exercise, then it is NOT normal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Maybe check your brake fluid cap. They may have loosened it when under the hood. Although i don't really know if that would cause your issue. Only other thing i could think of is a vacuum line somewhere, but i'm not familiar enough with brake systems to know their sequence of operation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'll check the brake fluid cap. Who knows maybe it is loose. I did call dealer and they said they didn't do anything that should affect the brake system. I asked if they disconnected battery for some reason and they said they didn't. So it would be interesting to get feedback on other owners if they have a hard pedal or a soft pedal before pressing start button.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There is nothing wrong. What you describe is normal for a vehicle with power brakes. Once the car starts, which is more important, the pedal pressure is correct.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is nothing wrong. What you describe is normal for a vehicle with power brakes. Once the car starts, which is more important, the pedal pressure is correct.
If you read the whole post, there IS something wrong. It never did it before, then one day after a service, it started to do it. You can believe it's not a problem if you like, but it's definitely NOT normal.

Also, I've driven dozens of cars without power brakes and I've also never had a car that lost vacuum overnight. So it's clearly not "normal".

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Take it back

No settings for brake pedal

Problem with cars is psychology... most don't notice something until they want to, and they then dwell on it creating a problem that doesn't exist.

Does the receipt for your oil/filter change list anything else? updates? recalls?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I experienced the issue with the brake pedal and the start button that you noted a few days ago.

We have a new Santa Fe.

Drove it to Florida (2900 miles) and by the time we returned, we noticed that the brake pedal had to be pushed hard while pressing the start button.

The pressure we used early in the trip was gentle---now we have to give it a good push to get it started.

If we start the car multiple times during the day, the subsequent starts require less pressure.

I had the car in for maintenance on Monday and mentioned it to our service guy (who I like.)

He said the tech thought it was normal, and it was---since I had already started it once about 30 minutes before he did.

When I take it in for its 7000 mile maintenance, I'll ask the service tech to run this by the guy I call the car whisperer. He's really good and may have some ideas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've noticed it happening. I assumed it was some pattern like hitting the Stop button with or without pushing on the brake as I reach my destination. I want to say I didn't experience for maybe a year but then it happened off and on. Only thing that worried me was I have to push the brake to start the car (first car I've owned that did this) so my worry was that I wouldn't be able to activate whatever switch is needed to allow it to start.

This is normal after the car has been off for some time. With no engine running, no vacuum is being created for the brake booster.
Thanks for this explanation. Sounds plausible.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Your booster is not holding vacuum. Yes they usually do after some time but shouldn't loose the vacuum overnight. If it does it's either a faulty one way vacuum valve or a faulty booster. When I do annual registration checks on cars there is a test. With the engine off pump the pedal 3 or 4 times to exhaust all the vacuum. Hold your foot on the pedal and start the engine. The pedal must drop slightly which indicates a vacuum. Continue holding your foot on the pedal and turn off the engine and wait around a minute to see if it slowly pushes your foot back up. If it does its loosing vacuum and fails.

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
382 Posts
With the engine off pump the pedal 3 or 4 times to exhaust all the vacuum. Hold your foot on the pedal and start the engine. The pedal must drop slightly which indicates a vacuum. Continue holding your foot on the pedal and turn off the engine and wait around a minute to see if it slowly pushes your foot back up. If it does its loosing vacuum and fails.
THIS^^^^ 👆

1 - 19 of 19 Posts