Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2018 Sonata Limited with the Ultimate package. I've had it suddenly complain that I should have both hands on the wheel, while I have my hands at the traditional 10 and 2 locations. Is there any way to turn the warning off? Will it do anything more than warn me? The warning doesn't repeat.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,042 Posts
I've got a 2018 Sonata Limited with the Ultimate package. I've had it suddenly complain that I should have both hands on the wheel, while I have my hands at the traditional 10 and 2 locations. Is there any way to turn the warning off? Will it do anything more than warn me? The warning doesn't repeat.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk[/QUOTe

I dont have Lane Departure Warning on my Sonata but on a previous Toyota I had it would give that warning if you did not touch the wheel often enough. You may want to look into those settings or in the manual.

Also with newer cars and air bags etc, 10 & 2 is no longer recommended, 9 & 3 is what is safest now. Also why on some wheels they have the thumb rests so you dont grip all around the wheel with thumbs and fingers as air bags can injure wrists and forarms

https://driving-tests.org/beginner-drivers/how-to-hold-a-steering-wheel/

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know if there is a way to turn the warning off, but I know that if the lane and steering wheel indicator are green you can go hands off the wheel for about 15 seconds before the warning. With hands on the wheel, I have had the warning occur I believe because I didn't need to make even the slightest correction for 15 seconds and so it assumes I am hands off.

·
Registered
'18 Sonata 2.0T Ltd, '20 Kona SEL FWD
88 Posts
Look in the instrument-panel screen page where the driving assist items are listed.

You may have the Driver Attention Alert enabled. I have mine turned off and almost always use one hand on the wheel.

I also set the Lane Departure warning to beep but not try to steer automatically.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like from the manual that this warning comes from the lane keeper system. I suppose it's possible that I'm just not needing any corrections for 15 seconds or so. I do have that system to to the highest level of assistance.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 Sonata 2.0T Ltd, '20 Kona SEL FWD
88 Posts
It looks like from the manual that this warning comes from the lane keeper system
That makes sense, because they do not want you letting go of the wheel. It isn't a self-driving vehicle.

I prefer the LKAS set to Lane Departure, so it just beeps if I stray across a line, rather than applying steering inputs.

- Set to Active, its idea of the center of the lane often differs slightly from mine. So it tries to work against me.

- Set to Standard, it still applies subtle steering inputs, giving me the impression that the car is not tracking smoothly.

Besides, if you're not driving on perfectly straight roads, the LKAS would have you wiggling all around as the lane moves slightly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts