Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
How do I tighten the ix20 handbrake? I changed all rear pads easily enough but cannot see how to adjust the handbrake / tighten it. It comes up quite high, well pretty much all the way, and is quite slack when down with no tension for a couple of inches on the way up. No videos anywhere, no manuals ?
The centre console looks like one huge piece of plastic with no obvious access to any cables.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
There more than likely are tow nuts on the end of the cable under the console. It probably needs to come out. Look for a bolt on each side towards the rear of it. May be a screw under the rubber in a cup holder too. May need to remove the seats or take the bolts out so you can at least move the seats to get access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I didn't want to hear lol. There is one bolt near the rear of the console, it's one horrible big piece of plastic slotting under the mid section of the dash, either side of the control panel. Still looks awkward as ****, probably just as awkward with the seats out. Surely there must be an easy way. Why would someone design something that requires the removal of seats and centre console for such a simple task?

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Well they should never need adjusted unless somehow the cable got slack in it. Highly unlikely. Maybe a point where it is fastened to the frame as it travels has broke loose and induced slack somehow.

Last summer I had a really loose Ebrake. Was going though the same anguish you are now. But looking further online, one symptom was rear brake shoes being out of adjustment. So I took off the drums and sure as can be one of the linings had delaminated from the shoe.

So there may be something wrong with yoru calipers if there is too much travel. Maybe the pistons need cranked out a bit? How loose are the pads in the caliper?

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Now on my Gen Coupe it has the ebrake as small brake drums and shoes on the backside of the rear rotors. Looks just like the old school shoes. I don't know just exactly what kind of brakes you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well they should never need adjusted unless somehow the cable got slack in it. Highly unlikely. Maybe a point where it is fastened to the frame as it travels has broke loose and induced slack somehow.

Last summer I had a really loose Ebrake. Was going though the same anguish you are now. But looking further online, one symptom was rear brake shoes being out of adjustment. So I took off the drums and sure as can be one of the linings had delaminated from the shoe.

So there may be something wrong with yoru calipers if there is too much travel. Maybe the pistons need cranked out a bit? How loose are the pads in the caliper?
Pads aren't loose at all. I fitted brand new ones that fit as they should on the disc and the calipers went back on fine. However, out of those removed, the right pads were way more worn than the left so something isn't right somewhere. I tried pumping the foot brake some more and also the handbrake itself and there is a little more there now but still not happy with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts