Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ,
i faced a strange problem 2day...i took my i-10 car to be maintained (5000km) and handbrake was so okay but now i found that it's so hard to pull it up and don't hear the clicks (when i pull it up) anymore

i have it for 18 months and never faced that problem !!!!!

Any idea please about why would that happen.......is that serious problem??

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

as this has only happened since it was serviced it sounds like that they have over adjusted the rear brakes or over adjusted the handbrake........take it back to your service department and complain

BTW please adjust the size of your fonts for future posts.........it seems like you are SHOUTING

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Learn with Mike @ May 16 2010, 02:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323314
sounds a bit strange, does the brake work?

i like not hearing the clicks, i always use the button when applying the handbrake fearing that it would wear out
Same here but a look at the owner's manual.

Applying the parking brake
To engage the parking brake, first apply
the foot brake and then without pressing
the release button in, pull the parking
brake lever up as far as possible. In addition
it is recommended that when parking
the vehicle on a gradient, the shift lever
should be positioned in the appropriate
low gear on manual transaxle vehicles or
in the P (Park) position on automatic
transaxle vehicles.

Releasing the parking brake
To release the parking brake, first apply
the foot brake and pull the parking brake
lever slightly. Secondly, depress the
release button and lower the parking
brake lever whilst holding the button

·
Registered
272 Posts
QUOTE (shedloads @ May 16 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323324
Same here but a look at the owner's manual.

without pressing
the release button in, pull the parking
brake lever up as far as possible. .
with my handbrake being used more than 20 times a day the mechanism and the cable would not last very long if this was done.

button is pressed when applying handbrake and only enough force is used to hold the car still.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I noticed something very similar when my i10 came back from first service: they'd obviously tightened the handbrake, since it went up maybe 30% of the distance it did before. Still clicks though, so you may want to take it back for readjustment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's normal for the handbrake cable to be adjusted on a service, I guess your garage went a bit over the top with the adjustment.

Regarding using the button to engage the handbrake... Well, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and do it, but your handbrake is not likely to wear out if you don't press the button. Modern cars (such as the i10) do not suffer from this. There are some interesting answers here, some for, some against:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...05210255AAAqUdO

·
Registered
668 Posts
It seems to be a problem with disc rear brakes - as the brakes are used the disc heats up and expands, after the parking brake is applied the disc cools and shrinks back to its original size and the car rolls away. With a drum rear brake the opposite happens when the drum cools the parking brake is locked tighter as the drum shrinks around the brake shoes.
I remember on the Vauxhall Cavalier with rear discs a small parking drum brake was fitted inside the rear discs operated only by the hand brake cable, an expensive complication but it did work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts