Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Handbrake has to be pulled right up to get it to work. Won't hold on a hill. Is there an easy way to adjust it as nothing happens until the 5th click? Pads look fine as do the disks and nothing is binding.

Thanks all

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might be drum, but I've only just got it and haven't been under it as its not stopped raining for days.....

Was thinking is might be cable slack only....

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Could be cable slack
Or could be your parking brakes need adjustment
Some are self adjusting ( some when the car is put into reverse)
Some the pads or shoe wears out

The first things to do is usually an inspection to determine the condition

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late reply but may help others, there is an adjuster under the handbrake lever, remove the plastic caps to reveal 2 bolts then lift the cowling clear, there is also an adjuster under the vehicle where the cable splits in 2 for each side, then there is an adjuster on the back of each drum, Really first point should be to check the brake shoes for wear then adjust at the drums first before adjusting the cables.hope it helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the update.....it had a stick shoe which had worn to nothing, both rear handbrake cables had seized, and both parking mechanisms where seized. It had a repair kit to both parking brakes, two cables, rear shoes and rear discs as one had got chewed up by the stuck shoe. Oh and new pads. Cost me £450.... Wasn't a pleasant surprise....

On the plus side it will now hold on a very steep hill, though its also recently had a new rear caliper...... the brakes got really hot on one side. Not a cheap vehicle to fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts