Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read many of yours mentioned about don't over tight the lug nuts when performing tire tasks. Therefore, i'm wondering does hand tightening the lug nuts, will them get too tight or push as hard as you can to tighten them? thanks folks

·
Registered
941 Posts
Depends on what you're using. With the Hyundai-supplied lug wrench you probably won't overtighten them unless you work out a lot. With a long 1/2" or 3/4" bar, maybe.
You could go buy a cheap torque wrench (i.e. Harbor Freight) and not have to guess. Torquing them evenly is just as important as making sure they're tight.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with Fox on getting an inexpensive torque wrench. It is surprising how easy it is to get 100 ft-lbs of torque on a set of lug nuts (which is more than required for our cars). I have a torque wrench I bought many years ago for a head gasket job on an old truck, and since then about all I use it for lug nuts. Comes in very handy. Plus, as I torque the lugs, I can torque them in stages to make sure I am evenly loading the studs. Helps to make sure the wheel is properly mounted and centered with the lug tapers.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I vote for the torque wrench too, even a Harbor Freight, $10.00 on sale, 3/8 drive will suffice for lug nuts. I tend to torque all fasteners though, especially steel bolts, sparking plugs, etc, into aluminum. cheers.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Here is what I recommend.

1) Locate the wheel and tire on the studs. That's the most difficult part. The wheel and tires together are not light so don't get impatient.

2) Take each lug nut and hand tighten them until snug using criss-cross method. Wiggle the tire around until all the play is out of the lug nuts and wheels.

3) Take a speed wrench and tighten some more. (use criss-cross method) You can tighten about as much as your strength allows as the short amount of torque with the speed wrench will not exceed the recommended amounts.

4) When they are all good and snugged down, use a wrench/ breaker bar and tighten only so far as necessary which shouldn't be very much. This is more or less a feel for the tightness of the lug nuts. You'll probably get about 60 pounds or so. Actually a shorter 3/8 swivel wrench would probably suffice. You'll need to get the right sized socket however to fit on the wrench. Do not overtighten.

5) When all the nuts are secured in place, (and absolutely no perceptible play in the wheel to the car) then get out your trusty torque wrench (I just use the lever type), and tighten to 70-80 pounds each, (or as the owner's manual specifies) again using the criss-cross method.

Occasionally, recheck the lug nuts using your torque wrench just to ensure that they are all tight. They shouldn't loosen up but why take the chance?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I vote for the torque wrench too, even a Harbor Freight, $10.00 on sale, 3/8 drive will suffice for lug nuts. I tend to torque all fasteners though, especially steel bolts, sparking plugs, etc, into aluminum. cheers.
Search results for: 'torque wrench'

Showing $21.99 ($34.99 reg) now for 3/8 and 1/2 in and I think I'll try one. One guy had his burst apart after 10 uses and others swear by them.

Sears $100+ wrenches have complaints, so at $22 proceed with eyes open.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Search results for: 'torque wrench'

Showing $21.99 ($34.99 reg) now for 3/8 and 1/2 in and I think I'll try one. One guy had his burst apart after 10 uses and others swear by them.

Sears $100+ wrenches have complaints, so at $22 proceed with eyes open.
My Craftsman beam type must be 40 years old and works perfectly.

You might check the local pawn shops as they usually carry a large inventory of tools.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Use the lug wrench for emergencies. Torque as soon as you can. I always torque mine, take the car around the block and torque them again. I have lost a wheel because I trusted a shop to torque mine. I trust nobody now. The torque wrench is well worth the money.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I read many of yours mentioned about don't over tight the lug nuts when performing tire tasks. Therefore, i'm wondering does hand tightening the lug nuts, will them get too tight or push as hard as you can to tighten them? thanks folks
I'm going to sound a little harsh, but please either get the right tools to do the job right or leave it to the professionals. In this case if you don't want to invest in a decent quality torque wrench (I'm not a fan of get the cheapest - i.e. Harbor Freight, etc. nor do you need a Mac Tool or Snap On quality one), then don't be monkeying with things like wheels that need to be tightened to a specific spec. With the low torque values on these cars there is a lot of slop, but the principle and idea is the same whether it's that 18 wheeler or your Sunday only ride.

Larry

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Plain and simple..............A torque wrench is necessary for tightening lug nuts because uneven tightening of lug nuts will cause your brake rotors to warp. Tightening specs are in the owner's manual (which also advises the use of a torque wrench).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts