Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just got the XG on the 16th of may.I haven't faced any brake problem before ,so i am not able to figure out whether it is a brake problem or not.
when i hit the brakes semi-hard there is a kind of definite pulsating. Is this normal?
Please helped me out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might checked the rotors. I don't know if that is the problem; but, I have a 2003 Saturn ION and I had a similar problem with my car after a couple of weeks. Took it back to the dealer and they found the front rotors slightly out of round.
and i get back my car after 1 week.
but after that i didn't got any problem.

Originally posted by Wrox@Jul 10 2004, 12:06 PM
I Just got the XG on the 16th of may.I haven't faced any brake problem before ,so i am not able to figure out whether it is a  brake problem or not.
when i hit the brakes semi-hard there is a kind of  definite pulsating. Is this normal?
Please helped me out.
[snapback]30[/snapback]​

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by Wrox@Jul 10 2004, 04:06 AM
I Just got the XG on the 16th of may.I haven't faced any brake problem before ,so i am not able to figure out whether it is a  brake problem or not.
when i hit the brakes semi-hard there is a kind of  definite pulsating. Is this normal?
Please helped me out.
[snapback]30[/snapback]​

hi wrox this is strokie the pulsateing in your braking is the anti skedding braking ABS, system working, in the manuel it says that may happen & not to worry, it shows it's working :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by strokie@Sep 17 2004, 02:15 AM
hi wrox this is strokie the pulsateing in your braking is the anti skedding braking ABS, system working, in the manuel it says that may happen & not to worry, it shows it's working  :)
[snapback]1207[/snapback]​

Strokie, Wrox
my 2002 XG350 does the same thing and it worries me. I think it's a common problem with the XG from 2000-2003 due to undersize rotors that get warped. The 2004 XG comes with 12 inch rotors whereas it used to be 10.2 inches before. Hyundai definitely knows about this problem!

I took mine to a brake shop and they said the pads are in very good condition even after 23,000 miles but the rotors are slightly warped. I will take it to the dealer and see if they will take care of it for me under warranty.

Best regards.

·
Registered
52 Posts
HI ALLLL....

Please let me explain something for you:

First... if you press on the brake pedal Semi hard or hard, The ABS system MAY start to work and that is normal to have this pulsating feeling in your car.(as our friend Strokie said.

Second... if you press on the brake pedal lightly or semi hard or even hard, you may feels the pulsation that was caused by a damage to the HUB of your front wheels,,( you can confirm this by driving for a hi speed 100 KM/h and stoping your car also in a fast way, and the pulsations will be STRONGER). This problem will be solved by POLISHING the HUB, or buying a new HUB.

Anyway...hope for you the best and take care of your cars...Brake System is so important that we cannot neglect or ignore...

Hope for you all Safe driving and nice times.

MMK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by plxmmk@Sep 19 2004, 03:17 PM
HI ALLLL....

Please let me explain something for you:
First... if you press on the brake pedal Semi hard or hard, The ABS system MAY start to work and that is normal to have this pulsating feeling in your car.(as our friend Strokie said.

Second... if you press on the brake pedal lightly or semi hard or even hard, you may feels the pulsation that was caused by a damage to the HUB of your front wheels,,( you can confirm this by driving for a hi speed 100 KM/h and stoping your car also in a  fast way, and the pulsations will be STRONGER). This problem will be solved by POLISHING the HUB, or buying a new HUB.

Anyway...hope for you the best and take care of your cars...Brake System is so important that we cannot neglect or ignore...

Hope for you all Safe driving and nice times.
MMK
[snapback]1245[/snapback]​

plxmmk,
You are exactly right about what causes the pulsating, although here in America they call it ROTOR, the part the brake pads clamp on, and not HUB. The hub or hubcap is the wheel ornament made of plastic or chrome that fits on top of the bolts and air valve.

I visit the XG forum at www.edmunds.com and you can read about people's experiences with this very nice car. Most owners are comparing it to the Lexus E330 in ride comfort, and are gloating about how much money they saved over buying a Japanese alternative :D .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks a lot and I am really happy about the comparing to Lexus E330.

I wish to drive that car just to confirm what peoples say.

thanks and hope for you best. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by samaruf@Sep 17 2004, 06:52 AM
Strokie, Wrox
my 2002 XG350 does the same thing and it worries me. I think it's a common problem with the XG from 2000-2003 due to undersize rotors that get warped. The 2004 XG comes with 12 inch rotors whereas it used to be 10.2 inches before.  Hyundai definitely knows about this problem!

I took mine to a brake shop and they said the pads are in very good condition even after 23,000 miles but the rotors are slightly warped. I will take it to the dealer and see if they will take care of it for me under warranty.

Best regards.
[snapback]1210[/snapback]​

;) hey wrox still worried about the pulsating on our buet XG's my friends got a Toyota camray & his does the same frightend him to untill her read about it in his manual as well. :) strokie

·
Registered
329 Posts
It could actually be either one or both at once.

On most vehicles ABS only activates on hard stops to prevent the wheels from locking up and causing a skid.

If it was a warped rotor (or hub as its sometimes called) the vibration would change as you come to a stop and the wheel is turning slower. The The ABS causes the brakes to pulse and this rate of pulsing stays the same until the vehicle comes to a stop.

ABS brakes generate a lot of heat - if you watch motor racing you'll sometimes see cars coming into the pits with smoke coming out of the wheels because the brakes and rotors are so hot. So a lot of heavy braking could actually heat the rotor sufficiently to cause it to warp.

A larger rotor is one way of solving this problem. A lot of high performance cars use vented rotors and special alloys that dissipate heat better than regular steel

·
Registered
422 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, when your ABS begins to work, there will be a graunching type noise emitted from your brakes.

This is the noise that most people get worried about. Not the fact that their pedal pulsates, but the fact that it feels like their car is about to fall apart.

So basically, if you are experiencing brake pedal pulsations without any noise, then there is a fair chance that it is not your ABS.
But ore than likely that you have a DTV (disc thickness variation) problem.

Generally speaking, disc warp will not effect your pedal feel, but the car itself will pulsate when brakes are applied.

However if the the two faces of the disc rotor are warped in different spots, and they tend to meet at opposite sides of the disc, ten this is where DTV will be experienced, you will then feel the car continuosly lurch forward on brake application and you will also experience brake pedal pulsation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 03' XG that developed a similar problem: pulasating/shimmying when braking. Took it to my longtime mechanic who told me that the front rotors were warped and fixed the problem by having them turned. A month later it started happening again. Its common for rotors to warp in any car if they get overheated, but this really seems like a design problem especially after i found out that the 04's use larger rotors. Does hyundai have a solution for this or are there any aftermarket rotors that are of better quality?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts