Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The orginal alternator on our 2005 Santa Fe quit on us. I could smell something getting hot for a few days but couldn't figure out what it was. One day I started it and the battery warning light was on. I checked the voltage and was getting under 12v at the battery. For some reason, probably low voltage, the parking brake light stayed on even though it wasn't engaged.

I put a charger on the battery and a couple hours later I drove it to my mechanic. He put the alternator on and charged me $520. The parking brake light also went away.

$280 parts/$240 labor
It's a 6 cylinder and according to the book the labor is 3 hours compared to the 4 cylinder which is less than 2.

Kevin (Kuripot)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Kevin,
The confusing brake light also comes on when the battery light comes on. In the instrument cluster it is internally linked to the battery light via a diode, so when the battery light comes on that brake light also comes on.
So it isn't any fault condition in your brake circuit.
I suppose it is done to give you an extra warning something has to be done quickly to the battery charging circuitry (like a broken down alternator).
Greets,
Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts