Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any advice for a replacement key?

I brought a h100 grace 98 about a month ago and only got 1 key! Today I noticed the key I have is starting to crack and bend I need to replace it quick.

I went to a key cutter today and they made a couple using Hyundai blanks and neither worked. My key is very warn compared to the ones cut. Are other Hyundai or newer keys thicker?

Any advice?

Otherwise its new ignition and door locks :confused: which obviously want to avoid!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You made 2 more worn keys from an original worn key ?

See if you can get Hyundai dealer to obtain key code for your vehicle, providing the lock set is still original set, and have Hyundai dealer cut a key on new Hyundai blank using key code to make key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't manage to explain myself very well. They made a copy of my key using a standard Hyundai blank which Thomson stocked. They gave me the key to go and see if it worked as she explained my key was very worn and was worried the barrels would have adjusted themselves to the worn key.

I tried the key she cut from the Hyundai blank but it would not even go into the lock. She then cut another key from a blank which was similar to the Hyundai blank. This was also to thick to fit ignition or door locks.

I was wondering if this is because newer Hyundai blank keys are different from the old Hyundai H100 blank keys. I have tried to buy a blank online but with no success.

I tried more key cutters today but they were all closed. Hyundai will be my next stop but unfortunately there isn't one close by.

Thanks for your advice. Do you know what documents they will require for me to get the key code?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Here in USA at our dealer, we require driver license to ID you, and a copy of current motor vehicle registration to reflect person standing there with ID and name/address on registration match to show you lawful owner and have lawful reason to request the cutting of key from code as obtained from Hyundai Motor company before we sell & hand you a cut key

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot mate. Sounds logical. I will go armed with necessary documents and ID this weekend to a main dealer. With a little bit of luck the key will hold out till I have it sorted and not snap in the ignition!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lo mate, I dunno if this will be of help,the Silca key blank reference for my 1997 H100 is HYN4P. Chances are they'll be the same key. I'm a Locksmith and I had trouble pinning down the right key blank for my van.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They made a copy of my key with a "Silca HYN9P", which works absolutely fine. It's much cheaper here to get one cut than to order one at a Hyundai car dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts