Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well one of my tires has been losing pressure this last week, found myself having to add air every 3 days or so.
Asked the local tire shop to take a look at it and they say I need a new tire, I have a hole in the sidewall.
I have the tires that came with the vehicle Kumho Solus kl21 225/55r18 with around 22,000 miles on them
Now they say this tire is on back order and offered me a michelin defender or a bridgestone.
So what are the thoughts on using one different tire? any drawbacks with this or should I try to find somewhere that can get me the Kumho tire.
I am no tire expert and would appreciate advice from my fellow forum members

thanks

·
22,788 Posts
Well one of my tires has been losing pressure this last week, found myself having to add air every 3 days or so.
Asked the local tire shop to take a look at it and they say I need a new tire, I have a hole in the sidewall.
I have the tires that came with the vehicle Kumho Solus kl21 225/55r18 with around 22,000 miles on them
Now they say this tire is on back order and offered me a michelin defender or a bridgestone.
So what are the thoughts on using one different tire? any drawbacks with this or should I try to find somewhere that can get me the Kumho tire.

thanks
If there is a hole in the sidewall, you're pretty much screwed. I'm surprised they aren't trying to sell you two of them. Most tire stores will refuse to mount one different tread pattern with a different pattern opposite it on the axle. They claim the design difference could alter the vehicle's tracking and stability. Opens them up to liabilities in the event you have a crash and want to blame the tire and the store. I'm no expert. Just reporting what I've heard from various tire stores.

You could do a search by brand and size and see if there are any stores nearby that can bail you out on one tire, like size and brand.

Any used tire stores around your area that might have one? Not my style, but it is an economical alternative.

How do the other 3 look? When they go, are you going to stick with the same tire you replaced and just buy 3 of the same thing to match?

Were you ever entertaining the thought of a totally new set of different tires?

Things to think about.

And if the other 3 are getting down to the wear indicators, you might just be better off getting a new set of 4 tires and being done with buying tires for a while.

Tough call. I punctured a sidewall, and bought a "like tire" because the other 3 weren't that bad. They're gone now. Bought a new, and better, set last Thanksgiving weekend.

·
Registered
622 Posts

thanks
I wouldn't have mismatch tires on my vehicle if I could help it, but maybe it's just me. My stuff has to match. It won't hurt anything having a different brand tire, just as long as it's the correct size. As long as it's not an eye sore for ya, go for it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there is a hole in the sidewall, you're pretty much screwed. I'm surprised they aren't trying to sell you two of them. Most tire stores will refuse to mount one different tread pattern with a different pattern opposite it on the axle. They claim the design difference could alter the vehicle's tracking and stability. Opens them up to liabilities in the event you have a crash and want to blame the tire and the store. I'm no expert. Just reporting what I've heard from various tire stores.

You could do a search by brand and size and see if there are any stores nearby that can bail you out on one tire, like size and brand.

Any used tire stores around your area that might have one? Not my style, but it is an economical alternative.

How do the other 3 look? When they go, are you going to stick with the same tire you replaced and just buy 3 of the same thing to match?

Were you ever entertaining the thought of a totally new set of different tires?

Things to think about.

And if the other 3 are getting down to the wear indicators, you might just be better off getting a new set of 4 tires and being done with buying tires for a while.

Tough call. I punctured a sidewall, and bought a "like tire" because the other 3 weren't that bad. They're gone now. Bought a new, and better, set last Thanksgiving weekend.
Rich, thanks for the reply.
Honestly I have not closely inspected the other three tires for wear. I am assuming that since I have only 22000 miles on them they are okay. Maybe that is a bad assumption.
Have not really contemplated replacing all four tires. After the other repairs recently ( bodywork repair + new windshield) I would hope not to do so.
Checked on Tire Rack and my original tires are on back order so kind of screwed there I think

·
Registered
838 Posts
So, Here's the argument for having a full size spare, like the old days! :rolleyes:

IMO, unless all your tires are all pretty worn, just get a matching size comparable tire (regardless of brand), and put it on, peace of mind. Believe me those O.E. Kumho tires are the worst I ever had! Be very careful in winter weather! I went right to Cooper CS-4's on my 2010 Tucson GLS AWD before they were completely worn out, and it was a world of difference. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
My owners manual for the Australian AWD Highlander states to replace all tyres at the same time.
It states failure to do so could damage the AWD system as you have to maintain the same distance from the back tyre to the front tyre on both sides of the vehicle.
I don't understand why you couldn't just replace 2 tyres on the front or on the back at a time as this would still give you the same gap.

I definitely would not be replacing only 1 tyre as mismatched tyres left to right can cause braking problems.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If it were me I would replace all four tires. You will probably be better off in the long run if you go this route.

Typically the factory tires are getting a bit thin after 20K miles.

At a minimum I would replace them as a set of two.

I once almost rolled a car with mismatched tires.
Sort of like running with a dress shoe on one foot and a tennis shoe on the other.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were me I would replace all four tires. You will probably be better off in the long run if you go this route.

Typically the factory tires are getting a bit thin after 20K miles.

At a minimum I would replace them as a set of two.

I once almost rolled a car with mismatched tires.
Sort of like running with a dress shoe on one foot and a tennis shoe on the other.
Thanks for all the advice guys, here is an update.
Called my dealer today to see if they could source the khumo tire. The other three are in good condition so I didn't really want to replace them.
They said they could order it for me and have it here Monday. Before ordering this I took the my ride to another reputable tire shop (well recommended by my work colleagues) to see if they agreed with the other shop. Well they took a look at it and said it could be patched. They showed me where the hole was (metal piece still embedded in it) and it was NOT on the sidewall.
So they patched it and sent me on my way.
Looks like the other place were trying to drum up some business!!

On a lighter note. When the mechanic drove my car onto the ramp, he activated the interior lights(when opening the door) he and the other mechanics were highly impressed with my blue led's !!! When they found out I had fitted them they were fascinated. One said he liked my fog light garnishes....when he found out I fitted them he could not believe it.

So I left with a patched tire and a warm feeling about my Tucson!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Glad to hear that all worked out.

It sure irritates me when a shop leads you down the wrong alley.

A transmission shop once tried to take me for a ride. I made it a point to tell everyone about what happened. Thankfully now they are out of business.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear that all worked out.

It sure irritates me when a shop leads you down the wrong alley.

A transmission shop once tried to take me for a ride. I made it a point to tell everyone about what happened. Thankfully now they are out of business.
Yes I do hate businesses that try to take advantage.
It has been quite a week, someone hit my passenger door, got a cracked windscreen , and the tire was just the icing on the cake!
I will start to put a little away towards a new set of tires....I think I will get another 10,000 or so out of the current ones

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's good to hear the issue was resolved on your Tucson. Just some FYI; my tires are at 40k and still look as if they can go for another 20k just to give you an idea of where you're at in terms of wear. They are rated at 60k treadware from my understanding. I do have them rotated and balanced every 5k as Wheel Works provides free balancing and rotations for the life of the tire after you pay for it to be done once. In terms of replacing tires; it's a good idea to replace them in pairs just as a general rule. We don't need to replace all four on the AWD models. Our AWD is electronically assisted AWD meaning it only activates when there is slippage or you manually engage it. The other 95%+ of the time it's FWD; this was done in an effort to give our cars better MPG as there is less drag on the car. Full time AWD does require you to purchase all four tires as damage to the differentials can occur.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The AWD in the Tucson, & all AWD Hyundai's I was led to believe, is 95/5% front, to rear, meaning it is always slightly engaged. If you think not, just jack up the back wheels, and try to turn them with the fronts on the ground, there is quite a bit of resistance. No wonder gas mileage isn't that good on these vehicles. :rolleyes: Personally I would change all the tires at the same time, if needed.

My previous 2010 Tucson GLS AWD had stock 225/60/17" KR-21 Kumho tires on it, they were actually ok wet, & dry, but dangerous in any kind of winter weather! :eek:

Plus, they were totally done at 17k miles?! :eek: Good Riddance!
The Cooper CS-4's were way better all around!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kumho tyres

I still have my original Kumho tyres at 65,000 km and they have a couple of thousand left in them. I keep the tyre pressures at 37 psi and rotate them every 10,000 km which may have contributed to their longevity. We don't have the Northern winter driving problems in Australia of course.

I am unsure what tyres I will get next.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still have my original Kumho tyres at 65,000 km and they have a couple of thousand left in them. I keep the tyre pressures at 37 psi and rotate them every 10,000 km which may have contributed to their longevity. We don't have the Northern winter driving problems in Australia of course.

I am unsure what tyres I will get next.
When I had my tire repaired the tire guy said they had plenty of wear still in them. I don't find them bad at all, here in Mississippi snow and ice are extremely rare so I don't have extreme winter conditions. I rotate every 5000 miles (every time I go for a oil change) and inflate to 32PSI

·
Registered
838 Posts
The AWD in the Tucson, & all AWD Hyundai's I was led to believe, is 95/5% front, to rear, meaning it is always slightly engaged. If you think not, just jack up the back wheels, and try to turn them with the fronts on the ground, there is quite a bit of resistance. No wonder gas mileage isn't that good on these vehicles. :rolleyes: Personally I would change all the tires at the same time, if needed.

My previous 2010 Tucson GLS AWD had stock 225/60/17" KR-21 Kumho tires on it, they were actually ok wet, & dry, but dangerous in any kind of winter weather! :eek:

Plus, they were totally done at 17k miles?! :eek: Good Riddance!
The Cooper CS-4's were way better all around!
Oops! Correction, I had the Kumho KL-21 tires, not the Kumho KR-21, and they were poorly rated at the tire rack, in surveys, & reviews.

I don't know what 18" tires came on the Tucson Limited? Or the Diesel's, but It appears they held up, & performed better then mine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oops! Correction, I had the Kumho KL-21 tires, not the Kumho KR-21, and they were poorly rated at the tire rack, in surveys, & reviews.

I don't know what 18" tires came on the Tucson Limited? Or the Diesel's, but It appears they held up, & performed better then mine. :rolleyes:
I have the KL21's, as i said i find them okay. Must check out that tire rack review though

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have the KL21's, as i said i find them okay. Must check out that tire rack review though
Tire rack reviews pretty much match my experience with these as far as wear, & winter traction. There are a few there that have gotten better wear then mine? maybe I got the "lemons" of the bunch. Also, maybe your Limited edition size 235/55/18" held up better then my GLS 225/60/17".

My new tires (yesterday) General Altimax RT-43 are now posted as #1 in the surveys under "standard all-season touring" also as of yesterday as well! Plus, compared to Michelin Defenders, & Continental Conti Pro Trac WST's, they are very reasonable!

Where I live, I have to deal with a lot of winter weather, plus looking for the longest tire wear, & least expense as well, that's why I chose the General's.

I had the new Firestone Precision touring on my Tucson, shortly before it was totaled, and I liked them! But, they don't come in 18" sizes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tire rack reviews pretty much match my experience with these as far as wear, & winter traction. There are a few there that have gotten better wear then mine? maybe I got the "lemons" of the bunch. Also, maybe your Limited edition size 235/55/18" held up better then my GLS 225/60/17".

My new tires (yesterday) General Altimax RT-43 are now posted as #1 in the surveys under "standard all-season touring" also as of yesterday as well! Plus, compared to Michelin Defenders, & Continental Conti Pro Trac WST's, they are very reasonable!

Where I live, I have to deal with a lot of winter weather, plus looking for the longest tire wear, & least expense as well, that's why I chose the General's.

I had the new Firestone Precision touring on my Tucson, shortly before it was totaled, and I liked them! But, they don't come in 18" sizes.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with these tires. It will come in handy when I come to select my next set of tires. Maybe the 18" Kumho's perform better than the 17"
They are not cheap I was quoted around $215 each !
I will look at the Altimax definitely.
I had bridgestone duelers on my previous Tucson, they were 17's . Seemed to be reasonable good hardwearing tires

1 - 18 of 18 Posts