Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

well, is that the noise from the timing chain or the pistons scraping the cylinder walls? It sounds quite bad.

more info of the engine : 96K miles, burns oil in a cold start, and have valve ticking noise.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Remove serpentine belt then start the engine for a few seconds to see if noise dissipates.
Sounds like a bearing in the idle(s) or tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kind of sounds like a normal GDI engine which is why I asked how long you had it. You are hearing something new? Did you run it without the serp belt?

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
44 Posts
I think I hear the irregular clacking sound you're asking about. If you're positive it isn't coming from any of the accessories then there's not much way to know without tearing the engine down or waiting for it to come apart on its own. I could agree with you on it sounding like a timing chain.
Does it make any bad noises on startup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I hear the irregular clacking sound you're asking about. If you're positive it isn't coming from any of the accessories then there's not much way to know without tearing the engine down or waiting for it to come apart on its own. I could agree with you on it sounding like a timing chain.
Does it make any bad noises on startup?
It does not make any knocking noise or any other noise on startup, which I relieve. However, it burns oil on startup in winter and high pitched? whistling noise when idling from the left front side of the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts