Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace a piece of trim on my Tucson console. It is on the RHS of the console at the front near the coin holder. See pic attached.

So i have never removed a piece of trim in my life! I looked on the HMA website and it shows how to dismantle the console but does not mention this piece at all.
So questions are. Does anyone know how much i would need to dismantle to get this piece off?
Given my level of experience, should i just go to my dealership and have them do it?
I do have a plastic trim removal set (from when i changed out my interior lights for led's)

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The auto wreckers is my favourite place to figure out how to remove trim; unfortunetly your model is too new for that. The picture looks like a door interior and not dash panels?

Hyundai likes straight push/pull connectors in my experience. Cold plastic has a tendency to crack rather than flex; try to work if possible at close to room temperature.
Some of the audio install guys are at whiz at trim removal; probably cheaper than dealer.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The auto wreckers is my favourite place to figure out how to remove trim; unfortunetly your model is too new for that. The picture looks like a door interior and not dash panels?

Hyundai likes straight push/pull connectors in my experience. Cold plastic has a tendency to crack rather than flex; try to work if possible at close to room temperature.
Some of the audio install guys are at whiz at trim removal; probably cheaper than dealer.
Thanks, It is actually part of the center console. Probably not too clear from the picture I posted, I cropped it a little.
The scratch I have on this part is quite small and probably no one else would notice it.......but I do !!! the OCD has kicked in.
I can buy the part for about $35 shipped so I will probably order it and then it might be easier to see what is involved in replacing it. Worst case, I take it to the dealership and ask them to do it.
My fear is damaging other pieces. Wish I had something to practice on

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Usually best to have replacement part in hand so you can visual the attachments on part and figure from there where you need to go to get at old part.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't count on the dealer not scratching something else if they replace it for you. I've had bad experience with that in the past. Dealer scratched another part while replacing another scratched part adjacent to it, and when I confronted them about it, they of course denied it and I was screwed at that point.

-Todd

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I agreed with "santa06", those audio installers are good at removing trim. Do it daily on all makes/models.

·
22,788 Posts
Usually best to have replacement part in hand so you can visual the attachments on part and figure from there where you need to go to get at old part.
+1 Couldn't agree more. Once you see it, you'll have your answer. Hopefully.

And those trim tools ARE your friend!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't count on the dealer not scratching something else if they replace it for you. I've had bad experience with that in the past. Dealer scratched another part while replacing another scratched part adjacent to it, and when I confronted them about it, they of course denied it and I was screwed at that point.

-Todd
Guys, thanks for the advice. I am going to order the trim piece, then as has been said I will have a good idea of what needs to be dismantled, number of clips etc.
Todd I take your point about possible damage to adjacent areas, if the work is done by others. It is a big concern for me.....maybe I will ask one of those audio guys for help.
Anyhoo once I have the new part I will post some pictures

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts