Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a MT that is slow, clunky, and just has terrible synchronization with the gears, or is it just me? For a car with less than 7000 miles on the transmission, it sucks.

Has anyone replaced the MT fluid with after market synthetic, please let me know if it is worth spending the money. Does it make a difference in operation and worth the expenditure.

thanks for any input...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Once again, AAAACENT I think is the only one that has experimented with swapping out his transmission fluid I if recall correctly, shoot him a PM

·
Registered
459 Posts
Only have issues when the car is cold. As soon as it warms up its fine. You only have 7000mi on it, it's hardly broken in. I have just about 20000mi on mine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Only have issues when the car is cold. As soon as it warms up its fine. You only have 7000mi on it, it's hardly broken in. I have just about 20000mi on mine.
I'm gaining on you, I've got 11,500 miles in 6 months. Ha. My 6spd is still smooth and easy to operate. Even in severe cold it's been good for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 13,000 miles on mine. It's been trouble free and relatively smooth thus far.

You shouldn't have ANY issues cold or warm.

Heat kills transmissions....Colder the better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
While hyundai doesnt make the best manuals (try a Honda or Mazda...they can make a great feeling manual trans...my miata is unreal!! ) the one in our GTs isn't that bad. I have missed a gear a few times because its not that precise but at least its got pretty short throws and a large shift knob. I'm at 34,000mi and it still feels the same as the day it was new. Like i said its not horrible but its not the best either. If ur having an issue i would definately take it in to be looked at just to make sure.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So far, the MT-85 just keeps getting smoother. I like what it has done for me. Keep in mind that I have the short shifter and solid bushings too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Redline MT Tranny Oil

Before I go and purchase the Redline oil I wanted to make sure I get the correct oil, is it 75w85, or something other than that. If you guys know please let me know if you would.

The dealership told me it would take 10 quarts to fully purge the system, and then about $150.00 to do flush the system. This astounded me, but I figured the Service Mgr. I spoke with was telling me the truth, and I thought I read somewhere that the transmission and transaxel share the same oil. Plus, he stated he would not feel comfortable doing the job without fully flushing the system.

So you can see why I want to make sure I get the correct oil. I've driven manuals since I had my first car, and I am 49 now. The oil will probably help, but I truthfully think the synchronizes are not top notch like Honda, Mazda, or even BMW, Porsche. Of course, this is a $20 k car and I realize it's not gonna have the top notch parts, but I do expect it to at least shift like a Honda.

Please let me know if you kow what weight oil should be use, thanks guys.

HSK

·
Registered
70 Posts
No problems with mine and I'm already up to 33k miles. I have a long commute and have ot shift A LOT and I think it's actually pretty tame.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Like some members, mine is hard to shift in winter. I changed the oil one year ago, I put Valvoline synchromesh in it, full synthetic. I thought it would make it better in winter but it didn't

·
Registered
459 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the transmission and transaxel share the same oil.

HSK
On FWD (including FWD based AWDs) and RWD cars with the transmission in the rear, the transmission and transaxle are one in the same. Hence the name "transaxle" (transmission-axle).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Before I go and purchase the Redline oil I wanted to make sure I get the correct oil, is it 75w85, or something other than that. If you guys know please let me know if you would.

The dealership told me it would take 10 quarts to fully purge the system, and then about $150.00 to do flush the system. This astounded me, but I figured the Service Mgr. I spoke with was telling me the truth, and I thought I read somewhere that the transmission and transaxel share the same oil. Plus, he stated he would not feel comfortable doing the job without fully flushing the system.

So you can see why I want to make sure I get the correct oil. I've driven manuals since I had my first car, and I am 49 now. The oil will probably help, but I truthfully think the synchronizes are not top notch like Honda, Mazda, or even BMW, Porsche. Of course, this is a $20 k car and I realize it's not gonna have the top notch parts, but I do expect it to at least shift like a Honda.

Please let me know if you kow what weight oil should be use, thanks guys.

HSK

Get the MT-85. It only takes 2.1 quarts to fill. I had the shop do mine when I had my 7,500 maintenance done a couple weeks ago. They did a vacuum drain and then added my MT-85 (I gave them 3 qts and then was returned almost a full qt.). My entire bill for the 7500 mi. maintenance and transaxle/transmission oil replacement was a little over $200. I hope that helps. Shop around if that is all you are getting done. $150 is insane!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Does anyone else have a MT that is slow, clunky, and just has terrible synchronization with the gears, or is it just me? For a car with less than 7000 miles on the transmission, it sucks.

Has anyone replaced the MT fluid with after market synthetic, please let me know if it is worth spending the money. Does it make a difference in operation and worth the expenditure.

thanks for any input...

Yes, it's clunky; synchronizes are crappy. My car has 8,000 miles on it. I put in Redline MT-85 at 7,000 miles. It makes a BIG difference but it is still crappy for today's standards. You said $150? My mechanic did it for $15 and it took him 5 minutes. You don't need to flush the transmission.

Like some members, mine is hard to shift in winter. I changed the oil one year ago, I put Valvoline synchromesh in it, full synthetic. I thought it would make it better in winter but it didn't

Xion, Valvoline does not make a gear oil that is compatible with our Hyundai and your transmission is probably eating itself. Their gear oils were intended for old Chryslers, Fords and GM vehicles and differentials. If I were you, I'd change the it back to OEM Hyundai Synthetic or Redline MT-85.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree that the syncros in this tranny are crap. With all the changes I have made, installing the short throw shifter, changing out all of the the bushings (both from BPS Billet Pro Shops) and then going with Redline MT-85, the short shifter made the greatest difference to me. The bushings and the MT-85 each smoothed the shifts a little better. But it all helps out a lot from what we started with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has 49k on it and if it gets below 35 degrees or so it seems a little tight but once it gets some heat in it the trans shifts just fine. Don't care for the gear spread though. RPM drops are really steep between a few gears.

·
Registered
112 Posts
WHen cold (I'm talking -5C or less) its hard to shift into first, but other than that, its okay, a little stiff. But you have to think that fluid is like molasses when its cold

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problems here, almost 30k miles on mine and I drive it hard. I've got about 450k miles on various manuals over the years, I think the GT is a decent tranny. Don't want to accuse something I don't know, but how long have you been driving a manual?

·
Registered
6 Posts
700 miles on mine. Smoothest manual tranny I've ever driven :cool:. I have a 2011 Tacoma 6-sp, and a 97 Supra turbo 6-sp. The Supra has a Getrag V160; it can handle insane amounts of power, but not smooth at all.
I'm considering switching to synthetic, but hesitant because it's so smooth right now. I've got some Amsoil 75w-90 that I use in the Tacoma.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Yes, it's clunky; synchronizes are crappy. My car has 8,000 miles on it. I put in Redline MT-85 at 7,000 miles. It makes a BIG difference but it is still crappy for today's standards. You said $150? My mechanic did it for $15 and it took him 5 minutes. You don't need to flush the transmission.

Xion, Valvoline does not make a gear oil that is compatible with our Hyundai and your transmission is probably eating itself. Their gear oils were intended for old Chryslers, Fords and GM vehicles and differentials. If I were you, I'd change the it back to OEM Hyundai Synthetic or Redline MT-85.
For those wondering, the Valvoline oil I put in my tranny is Hyundai compatible, it is GL-4 approved. I can't find that Valvoline oil on the net but there is a store here that sells it. Look at the pics of the bottle, the last word is Hyundai. (circled in red) My tranny is still running like the day I bought it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts