Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Anyhow, picked up a leftover 2013 GT 6MT with touch and go package on Tuesday...dirt cheap. I'm wondering what other owners with the 17" wheels/tires are running. I usually run 40 psi on my WRX's 16" wheels, with optimal results, so I will likely go that route on the GT. Thanks in advance fo the advice.
Background: Before anyone asks, the WRX is heavily modded with very well-sorted parts and I did most of the work myself. I'm no stranger to vehicle mechanics and electronics, I've been around a while and I've done alot. In the late 90's, I was part of a group of Subaru owners that basically pioneered the Subaru enthusiast and performance market in north america. I hope that in time I can provide insight to other owners here who are seeking to try or develop new or unique mods for the GT.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm running about 38 psi in my GT with the 17" wheels and tires. Seems to do fine, but I'm a very conservative driver.

Geoff

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I'm running about 38 psi in my GT with the 17" wheels and tires. Seems to do fine, but I'm a very conservative driver.

Geoff
Since this car is a commuter, I too will be driving it conservatively most of the time. Being that it's now "pothole season" I would think that increased pressure could help a bit to save the rims from injury. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I run the recommended 32 psi. I'd be afraid at 40 of wearing the centre down. Plus when they warm up in the heat and on the highway what would they really be at, 50 psi?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run the recommended 32 psi. I'd be afraid at 40 of wearing the centre down. Plus when they warm up in the heat and on the highway what would they really be at, 50 psi?
1 psi increase for every 10 degrees F of air temperature increase within the tire. I guess I'll have to watch the wear carefully if I go with 40 psi or so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
40 seems really high.. I run 38/40 on the track with my 17s. I guess if you're looking for performance that makes sense tho -- if I were on the road it'd be around 34/36 I think.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the car!

·
22,793 Posts
Not a GT in my garage, but I read a lot of tire PSI posts. My Elantra sedan's recommended PSI is 32. I bumped up to 36 at the suggestion of the tire store manager where I have purchased tires for the past 41 years. My tires are performing and wearing excellently. And my MPG's have improved, slightly. (Big investment...replacing tires, not something you want to be doing every couple of years.)

One of our members commented that, ideally, running 1.5 psi more in the front tires than in the rear aided in stabilizing and improving the effect on the car's steering and tracking effect. I have yet to try this, but may do so just to satisfy my own curiosity. If any of you do this, report back with your personal assessments. I'd like to get this confirmed.

And your math is correct. You lose approximately 1 PSI for every 10 degrees in temperature drop. Also, the pressures increase from heat build-up as the tires warm to the highway. Once you find a safe and happy medium, drive on and enjoy. Just be vigilant about checking those pressures.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I ran the car for about 20 minutes to get the tires up to temperature, then put 38 psi in the front and 36 psi in the rear. Time will tell how the tires wear and if this positively affects mpg.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Settled on34 PSI for a couple of reasons. but mostly if I keep it at 32PSI, where I want to keep it, every time the temp drops a few extra degrees, the TPMS goes off. Shouldn't be a problem in a couple of months, as heat will, so I'll drop them back to 32.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run mine at a solid 38 year-round. Car has over 60k miles in 15 months of hard 230 mile commutes and the original tires are still great. Rotate them every 8k miles along with my mobil 1 oil change.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
With the Hankooks I keep 32 PSI in Summer. Anything above that gives me a too rough ride (flat roads are inexistent here)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts