Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am new to Hyundai... never owned one but might be real soon. I have always been JAP and GER fans but this is like a mix :) Plus the warranty is way better then others.

Anyways, I have search the internet but haven't found the answer to this questions.

Can you please help me decide by listing why you pick the one over the other? And what are the pros and cons after you drove it? If possible where you located and the price you paid out the door.

I know the big difference is turbo and price. But this is odd to me that base GT w/tech $4300 vs GTS w/tech $3850. I definitely want the tech pack with either options.

TIA,
Ym

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello all, I am new to Hyundai... never owned one but might be real soon. I have always been JAP and GER fans but this is like a mix :) Plus the warranty is way better then others.

Anyways, I have search the internet but haven't found the answer to this questions.

Can you please help me decide by listing why you pick the one over the other? And what are the pros and cons after you drove it? If possible where you located and the price you paid out the door.

I know the big difference is turbo and price. But this is odd to me that base GT w/tech $4300 vs GTS w/tech $3850. I definitely want the tech pack with either options.

TIA,
Ym
Greetings Ym. Its always nice to see another potential member to the community, so let's see if I can address your questions.

The way I see it, its an easy decision. If you can afford it, get the GT Sport, it is that simple due to it being so much superior to the base model. However, base models are fantastic vehicles of its own, especially with the tech package, but GT Sport is in a different league.

For additional $4,000 to get the GT Sport, you get the latest 1.6T GDI platform, 18" instead of 17" rims, better suspension, access to all the high-tech features such as smart cruise control, lane assist, blindspot radar, automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning system, auto high-beam, and the most crucial lumbar supporting driver seat. This is ridiculous amount of fantastic features that the base model, even ones with tech package, does not and will not have it.

I'm assuming that the price difference between tech packages are most likely due to all the extra labor required on the base model, since GT Sport already comes with a lot of features being sold in base model's tech package. The sticker price for GT Sport with tech package is around $30,000, but I purchased mine for $25,500 after some serious discounts.

My personal advice is, get the GT Sport if you got the loot. If you can't afford the GT Sport and considering settling for a base model, turn away and save until you have enough to do so.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mizerab1e,

First thank you very much for your reply. Actually this will be a gift to my Mom since she was in an accident a day before Thanksgiving due to other other driver making illegal U-turn pretty much heads on and totaled her Honda Accord V6. She was lucky to be alive. I was planing to get her a Tucson because of AWD and sits higher for safety. I noticed the GT which I like due to the European look but wasn't sure if she would like it. I test drove the GTS tech back in Dec and love it. But for $27k otd at that time was more then I wanted to spend.

I recently took her to the dealer to check out the Tucson. She didn't like it to much cus it was kinda high to get into and hard to see out. So I showed her the Elantra sedan which was pretty much like her Accord. She said it was to weak for the limited edition and the Sport didn't have power seats since she is short. She actually ask me about the GT and she test out the base model and she likes it because it had rear wipers :)

I just drove the Kona limited which I was consider for my mom too. This weekend I will take her to see it. But that it's $27k otd and not what I want to spend. I know it just came out so not much to deal on. It was actually pretty nice and the turbo was good. At 175hp it was fun but not like the GTS.

I just got a quote for GT w/tech for $24k otd without negotiating yet. But if I can get the GTS w/tech for your price of $25,500 otd, that is a no brainier for me then. I figure once she don't drive no more, I will just take it over is the only reason GTS would be the one. I know she would be happy with GT tech which is nice too at 161hp.

Thanks again for your help,
Ym

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yellowman, mizerable, beat me to it on answers, including price. Get the GTS, if you can, or save up. The chassis is well tuned,multilink rear suspension, (sports car type), vs. torsion axle. Look up i30n, racing version on google or u-tube, same chassis, The car has been designed and tested and tuned on nurburg ring in Germany. US and Canada call it elantra gt, rest of world i30. Also Canada gets red seat belts, and heated steering wheel.(edit, just saw your last post, both cars are very good, I was commenting, as if you where a sports car enthusiast deciding.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agrwuj, At that price it's definitely doable and well worth it I know. That would be $2k less than in December. Have you driven in the snow? How was it? I'm in PA so that was another reason looking at AWD Tucson or Kona. If this had it, I would pick it up back in December lol.

Hopefully I have something finalized this weekend when I take mom to the dealer.

Anything you guys felt it lacking or negative about?

Thanks,
Ym

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I like this much better :) when will the i30n coming to US? I like the way the daylight running are horizontal instead of the GT being slanted. I wish it had for light too.

Might have to pimp this out for my mom lol. Like old times, I would be customizing to be like overseas version that US don't get. She probably have 2 years of driving left and it will be another project car.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have a lot of hills and valleys PA, I would say go with kona or tucson. Have neighbor with tucson, does pretty good in snow, and loves it. Kona with all wheel, would be good. Only had my GT a week,but have not had a really good snow to test. Plan on getting set of snow tires next year. Also if getting automatic duel clutch, different than regular auto, especially on hills, and traffic, cannot inch forward, like old tork converter trans. or clutch will heat up. Apply brake, or use brake hold. (still unlearning old habit). Advantage of duel clutch auto, is quicker shifts, fuel economy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just watched the Hyundai Veloster N video too.. it's coming end of the year, probably high 20's. That 2.0l turbo with 271bhp is impressive.

I'm actually waiting for their Santa Cruz truck.

The mod bug starting to hit me again :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes, I heard of it to.I like the i30n a lot, but only manual, and veloster n, my heel and toe, days are gone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my mind now, I see the gts tech being the best bang for the $25k over Tucson & Kona. Even thought I know my mom won't care for the added tech or panaramic sunroof. She just like summit gray and the rear wiper :) she wont drive in the snow, it was more for me later is why I asked. Snow tires will be good option for winter though.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I have been waiting to see the I30N and it's due for release this month here in Aust. The cunning dealers want people to pre order. Would be great to do that and find out you can't fit inside or you don't like it. The fact that it's only manual is also a downturn for me. We drive in lots of city traffic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lucky you Charles,

Wish it would come to the USA... looks great from the review on youtube. I love everything about it but I guess the GTS tech will have to do for now :) Good luck and hope you get it. I just wonder what the price will be.. probably Mid $30k?

Ym

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
We got our GTS for under 25k otd back during the dealers seemingly tacky Black Friday sale but it was actually legit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool I got a quote for under $25k OTD. Will be taking my mom to decide on which she wants, GTS TECH or the new Kona limited this weekend. Been watching lots of review on both and test drove both too. I like each for different reasons. If GTS had awd hands down easy choice. I'm still thinking she'll want GTS because of the power. Thanks all for your feedback.

Ym

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestion, under power but has AWD. GTS still seem like better overall options for the price. Only few things I don't like about the GTS is the angle Amber LED and no fogs for outside. Interior not sure about red stitching.

I try to see if there are any issues or negative with the GTS. All I found so far is the interior has a lot of plastic and dual clutch not smooth.

Anyone have more to add? I saw that it's also capable of towing about 750 lbs? Anyone add roof rack above the panoramic sunroof? For the navigation, is it lifetime map updates?

TIA,
Ym

·
Registered
128 Posts
dual clutch not smooth.
Why did you think DCT wasn't smooth? I see that you test drove one, did you just go around the block for few minutes? DCT isn't really your traditional automatic transmission, its more like automated manual car so it will feel jerky at first/second gear if you don't maintain proper throttle control, even more so on sport mode. It will require some adjustments in driving behavior to drive smoothly, and I can assure you that it is one of the smoothest vehicle I've ever owned. Even with all the mods, the car accelerates incredibly smooth and one of my favorite aspect of the vehicle.

Navigation is tied to vehicle's Blue Link account for 3 years along with the Blue Link remote features. I didn't think I would use it at first and rely on Apple Carplay for navigation, but I found it is really convenient to use and integrates with the dash display while Apple/Google map apps do not. I got all my favorite destination shortcuts set and just need to tab once to get going, stopped bothering with Apple carplay all together.

I guess anyone could find a negative if they looked hard enough, but I don't see it that way. I look at all the positives I'm getting for $25k and GTS with tech package feels like hitting the powerball in that sense. Also, red is my favorite color so I absolutely loved the subtle red stitching and accents the moment I saw it and I found the headlights extremely bright under all conditions including fog.

No issues after 8000 miles.

Reactions: agrwuj

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the detail info. Your probably right, I only drive it around for a bit and didn't get to really drive it like i normally do in my BMW.

Glad to hear your driving it and all is good with the car at 8,000 miles. Too bad it will be my mom's car so I can't mod it yet. I feel more excited than she will be with this GTS. I agree it definitely has lots of great cool options for around $25k. Will be going to dealer later to try and get best price. So far the lowest they can do is $25,800. I hope the can lower it more in person or Have them throw in some free accessories like all weather floor mats, trunk liner, etc..

Anyone have suggestion on good car cover? Weather tech has lots of stuff but is $$$.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts