Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a couple of issues with my 2010 Sonata and need some help.
Issue #1
When I start my car put it in drive there is a grumbling type noise and stops when I accelerate and get up to 5 to 10 mph and then stops.
Issue #2
After I drive my car for a while, when I let off the gas or come to a stop there’s a loud whining noise. Once I accelerate it goes away but come back when I stop.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi, I had similar noise and drove me crazy. It only happened only when the engine was cold and at traffic stops. I changed the idler pulley and ass. belt. What I discovered was the transmission oil was dirty and the valves were sticking. This caused the torque converter to lock and unlock at stops light and only did it when engine was cold. It took 3 DIY transmission oil flush every 200 miles before the idle shuttering engine wobble and noise went away. A dealer transmission oil change is $250 to $300. DIY Valvoline MaxLife Syn ATF was $18 x 3 or $60 w/tax. That’s how I got rid of that noise almost 12,000 miles ago.

The Santa Fe had 110K, Tucson 60k and Sonata Hybrid 60-70k when i performed the tasks. The 2010 Santa Fe w/ 2.4 l and 6 sp was the one acting up. The cars now have 120k, 70k and 80k.

I also did a tune up and replaced the spark plugs. But it was the transmission flushes that really fixed it. Smooth shift and no more idle wobble and noise at cold idle traffic stops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I’ll try a few of those things and see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts