Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the blessing of the mods, we will now begin hosting monthly group buys for our products. I wanted to host a group buy in the GB forum, and we actually did start one a few months ago, but that forum is dead because everyone just hangs out in their model forum. So, I asked the mods if we could just host specific GBs in this forum, and got the okay today.

For the month of December, we will be offering the LED Bumper Reflectors.

These are a direct replacement for the original bumper reflectors, and the LED units will come with three wires coming out the back, one ground wire, one power wire for the running lights and one power wire for the brake lights. You can use the LEDs as either just the running lights, or just the brake lights, or both.

The group buy format will be as follows.

4~9 purchased - US$90 shipped
10~19 purchased - US$90 shipped, US$10 refunded after GB ends, final price US$80
20+ purchased - US$90 shipped, US$15 refunded after GB ends, final price US$75

We are choosing the refund method so that we don't have to wait until the end of the GB to ship everything, meaning if you purchase early, you can get it early, while still getting the potential benefits of a lot of buyers purchasing. So, it's a true Group Buy.

The GB will run from today until the end of December. You can purchase from the following link. I will revise this post and list the user names of everyone who orders, everytime someone places an order.

2011 Sonata LED Bumper Reflectors Group Buy Link

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'll be looking forward to some of these group buys!

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is one item that I am considering getting, but I really wish I could see it installed on a car. Does anyone have any pictures of them connected? I love LED lighting, but dont want to risk putting something on there thats going to look out of place.

I would most likely get in on this if I could see some good pictures of them installed and lit up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Dec 3 2010, 09:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376637
This is one item that I am considering getting, but I really wish I could see it installed on a car. Does anyone have any pictures of them connected? I love LED lighting, but dont want to risk putting something on there thats going to look out of place.
Me too. The way I understood is the original reflectors are glued on (not really sure). With this LED lighting, does one have to drill a small hole to pass the 3 wires through the bumper guard (doesn't look like it)? I assumed the kit is water-proof, is it ( assumed so)? How long are the wires? Is this kit screw mounted, meaning we have to drill few holes to secure with screws to the bumper guard (probably not), or glued on (don't think so)? I assumed we can tap the power sources from the rear lights. Is the kit wires long enough to allow that (important to me)?

Can someone who has done it shine some lights for us? Does one have to loosen the bumper to run the wires (looks like it)? How hard is it?
:p

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (hancydan @ Dec 3 2010, 11:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376672
Me too. The way I understood is the original reflectors are glued on. With this LED lighting, does one have to drill a small hole to pass the 3 wires through the bumper guard? I assumed the kit is water-proof, is it? How long are the wires? Is this kit screw mounted, meaning we have to drill few holes to secure with screws (provided?) to the bumper guard, or glued on? I assumed we can tap the power sources from the rear lights. Is the kit wires long enough to allow that?

Can someone who has done it shine some lights for us? Does one have to loosen the bumper to run the wires?
:p
Here is a picture of the led reflector installed on a white sonata. I took the picture from a korean site and to install this I am pretty sure one needs to take down the rear bumper to install this. I am also posting the picture of the installation photo that I found online.

sorry....double post....

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Depending on the answers to the questions above, I would be interested also.

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (shong008 @ Dec 4 2010, 03:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376857
Here is a picture of the led reflector installed on a white sonata. I took the picture from a korean site and to install this I am pretty sure one needs to take down the rear bumper to install this. I am also posting the picture of the installation photo that I found online.
Your posted picture has the bumper removed from the car and a rectangular shaped cutout in the bumper with the reflector bolted into the cutout. Hopefully, Bogeyman's solution will not involve a cutout.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a picture of the reflectors at night.

As far as one of the pictures above, I'm pretty certain that the rectangular cutout is already there. I doubt the installer in that pic would cut out a piece that bit just to pass the wires through.

I haven't personally installed one of these, but I'm positive that the reflectors are bolted onto the bumper. You can run the wires up to the brake lights and splice them in. We usually ship the reflectors with around 10 inches of wires, but I suppose we could ship with longer wiring if people wanted. A couple of feet should be enough. I think in the picture above with the bumper, the wiring looks pretty complicated, but it's just a straight splice into two or three wires in teh brake lights, depending on how you want the LEDs to light up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ Dec 5 2010, 06:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377063
Here's a picture of the reflectors at night.

As far as one of the pictures above, I'm pretty certain that the rectangular cutout is already there. I doubt the installer in that pic would cut out a piece that bit just to pass the wires through.

I haven't personally installed one of these, but I'm positive that the reflectors are bolted onto the bumper. You can run the wires up to the brake lights and splice them in. We usually ship the reflectors with around 10 inches of wires, but I suppose we could ship with longer wiring if people wanted. A couple of feet should be enough. I think in the picture above with the bumper, the wiring looks pretty complicated, but it's just a straight splice into two or three wires in teh brake lights, depending on how you want the LEDs to light up.

Now that looks awesome!!! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
"As far as one of the pictures above, I'm pretty certain that the rectangular cutout is already there. I doubt the installer in that pic would cut out a piece that bit just to pass the wires through"

Boogyman is correct, I just checked my SE and there are cutouts in my bumper.
Also discovered that the fastners which are supposed to connect the tabs on the lower edge of the bumper to the frame are missing on my bumper. Lots of holes but no fastners. You can see one of the tabs I'm talking about by the installer's hand in the pic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"I think in the picture above with the bumper, the wiring looks pretty complicated, but it's just a straight splice into two or three wires in teh brake lights, depending on how you want the LEDs to light up." -boogyman

Yes, you are correct. The car on the picture installed backup sensor as he was installing the led bumper reflector. So those extra wires are from the backup sensors.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 6 2010, 12:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377362
damm taking off the bumpers? i would screw it up for sure
I just poked my head under there at lunch to remove some conjecture on the topic.

1) There is a large rectangle hole. So I HIGHLY doubt any drilling is necessary.
2) There what appears to be a phillips head screw on the inner part of each reflector securing it to the bumper plastic. It is VERY close to the metal of the bumper frame. It was to cold for me to be man handling the bumper to see if I could push it out enough to get to the screw easily. This will be the point of contention.
3) QUICK glance does not show an easy way to route the wires without pulling the bumper. Again, this was a quick glance under the car in 18 degree weather.
4) Where the wires are coming out of the picture above (post 10, picture 2); there is a black cap on mine (stock OEM). You can also see the screw on the left most part of the reflector/housing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Bearcats is correct in his off duty assessment while at lunch. i waited til i got home and pulled it into the garage (65 degrees!)

[attachment=21632:sonata_reflector.jpg]

the picture is rotated...90 clockwise. anyways, remove the phillips screw, the pin is for alignment, and slide it out to the inside of the car (slide it towards license plate) and, wah-lah, they are removed! replace with new led lights and wire, and you are complete.

i have been thinking about this mod for some time...just needed to know more information....now, i will probably treat myself to a later christmas present!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really liked this mod but didn't like the idea of pulling the bumper off.
After reading the info posted by Bearcats and fear24, I'm going to get on the list.

Looks fairly simple if you don't have to remove the bumper. Guess I'll find out
how the wiring goes. B)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts