Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a low groaning sound coming from the rear of my 08 veracruz (73,000 mi). It's not connected to the engine or the transmission- the pitch of the groan changes w/ the speed. Had the shop at the school I teach in take a look and they couldn't find anything wrong w/ the rear end, but they can't take it out for a test ride. I have an appt. scheduled w/ hyundai. About 1.5 years ago I had a bad bearing and hub assembly replaced back there. Good thing I purchased the extended warranty.

Anyone had any experience w/ this?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
what condition are your tires....as they wear, they tend to make more noise. and the cheaper they are....usually (not always) the louder they are.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
although that is true, tires do not make groaning noises. that isn't the problem.

i would suspect a bushing. maybe some corrosion in there on the bolt. push down hard on the trunk to make the car bounce, see if you can figure out where its coming from.

another one can actually be the brakes if drums. sounds odd, but had this myself. if the pads are rubbing on the drum you can sometimes get a groaning noise. usually from corrosion and wear buildup on the drum.

you're right to say its not the engine or trans - if its a FWD car. i'm not familiar with the veracruz, sorry. hyundai doesn't make many RWD cars anyhow.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Tires can indeed make speed-related noise that some might describe as "groaning" (more of a roar IMO.) Check for cupped treads, horizontal bands of wear, etc. Try rotating the tires to see if anything changes, or if they're nearing the end of their service life just go ahead and replace them.

On a 6-year Hyundai with disc brakes I would also pull the rear wheels off and check for a sticking brake caliper or pad. Very common in winter climates if brakes are not lubricated periodically. Also costly if it prematurely wears out your pads and then scores the rotors. Many discussions about this in the Santa Fe CM forum.

I'd also check for another bad wheel bearing... a fairly common issue after six years of service. Raise each rear wheel and give it a spin; see how smoothly (and quietly) it goes.

Let us know how you make out.

Don

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sadly it sounds like a bearing. Rotate the tires and if that does not change it then it's a bearing. $150-250 for the assembly and about 2 hours of work. Just replaced mine @117k.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My vote goes for bad wheel bearing...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts