Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been a while since I posted as I've been busy. This issue is one that seems to be an on/off type of situation. This morning while heading to work, I had to brake suddenly to avoid an accident as another driver in front of me had to stop to avoid hitting a vehicle that tried to rush through a narrow space on the road (there was a car parked on one side, so only one line of traffic could pass at a time). Long story short, I hit the brakes, and as the car attempted to brake, I heard a loud grinding sound coming from the right side of the car; it sounds as if something is rubbing against some part under there.

I've had this issue before and took it back to the dealer, they checked and said they couldn't find any problem, and they weren't able to reproduce the sound. My front brakes are new (replaced back in April/May), but even before that, the sound happened occasionally, and usually only if I have to make a sudden stop and most times, happens on an uneven surface (yep we've got real crappy road surfaces in most places).

Has anyone ever had this issue, or can anyone think of a reason or cause why this is happening? I took a look at the wheel liner on the right side and I can't see any evidence of the wheel having touched there (dealer's service manager said that it may be a clearance issue, so when the car lurches forward during a sudden stop, the wheel may be rubbing against the liner), but like I said, there's no evidence to show that the wheel rubbed against the liner. Plus, that sound isn't a sound that would be made in that instance, it sounds like something is grinding on something. I'll try to see if I can capture the sound while driving again. I'm due to take her in for servicing in a few weeks, and it would be great to have some ideas to pass along so they can check and bring a resolve to this issue.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The sound could be the ABS.
I'm not familiar with that model, but there's typically a fuse you can pull to disable the ABS, then do a panic stop (in a safe place!).

·
Registered
78 Posts
that's what anti-lock brakes sound like when they are working brother. They are squeezing and releasing hundreds of times per second, which sounds like grinding. your car is fine.

I can kind of understand an end user not knowing what that sound was, but if you went to the dealer and described everything to them as you did to us here and they couldn't IMMEDIATELY identify what you described as your ABS working properly then your dealer is an idiot. On a level that I can't even fathom being a dealer.

I would expect exactly as you described, the sound coming from the right side, as you were probably driving by yourself, and seated in the front left, there would be more traction on the left side because of the extra weight, the right side would be the first to begin losing traction.

·
Registered
429 Posts
look inside the engine bay and i recall the ABS module is in the back of the engine bay on the passenger side.. and what Turkey said ^^^^^^

·
Registered
882 Posts
sudden stopping on tough road will easily make wheels skidding, then the ABS sensors start working. Use your brake pedal progressively

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'm sorry about the lag in between replies; I've been busy most times. I did see the email with your responses, and I've changed my braking method with 100% success. No more noise.

that's what anti-lock brakes sound like when they are working brother. They are squeezing and releasing hundreds of times per second, which sounds like grinding. your car is fine.

I can kind of understand an end user not knowing what that sound was, but if you went to the dealer and described everything to them as you did to us here and they couldn't IMMEDIATELY identify what you described as your ABS working properly then your dealer is an idiot. On a level that I can't even fathom being a dealer.

I would expect exactly as you described, the sound coming from the right side, as you were probably driving by yourself, and seated in the front left, there would be more traction on the left side because of the extra weight, the right side would be the first to begin losing traction.
It really is unbelievable that the dealer did not know the noise was the ABS. Could have saved me a lot of uneasiness, but it's a good thing this forum exists with knowledgeable guys like yourself. Thanks again for helping me understand how this works. Oh, my car is RHD, so flip what you said around and yes, it makes a lot of sense.

look inside the engine bay and i recall the ABS module is in the back of the engine bay on the passenger side.. and what Turkey said ^^^^^^
Yep. Turkey's the man!

sudden stopping on tough road will easily make wheels skidding, then the ABS sensors start working. Use your brake pedal progressively
I've been doing what you've said and SUCCESS!! Thanks a mil!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glad that we could help. But while we are talking about all this, I want to emphasize something to you and everyone else on here reading that may not understand ABS.

DO NOT EVER........... be afraid to jam the brakes on in an emergency situation just because you are trying to avoid making the grinding ABS noise. Of course, you should manage your braking and brake progressively as stated before if for nothing other than to improve drive comfort for you and your passengers. No one likes to be jerked around from hard braking and acceleration if you are not on a racetrack.

BUT.... ABS does 2 amazing things for you. First it monitors wheel slippage thousands of times per second to keep your tires from locking up. That for all intents and purposes ensures that you have the absolute maximum braking performance that your tires can provide. It continuously balances that line on any road surface for you so that all you have to do is mash that brake down and squeal like a little girl. Secondly, and the importance of this is often overlooked, because it keeps the tires from locking up, you maintain steering control. if you were to lock up the tires, you lose all steering control. you could have the steering wheel turned completely to the right, but if the tires are locked up, you will keep going wherever inertia takes you. tires have to rotate to work.

Moral of the story is, if you need to jam on the brakes, jam on the brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts