Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Do we have an epidemic of 2008 ignition switch failures?

What's up with your fuel pump?

I've replaced a handful of ignition switch in last couple yr, mostly in NF Sonata,, topic in TG Azera started here for starter run when key rotated to ACC or ON position..

No concern for fuel pump itself,, CM Santa Fe is good for Fuel Level sender replace for first couple yr production ---> replace both sender in 1 sitting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope you're not now tip to tip on the starter/flywheel teeth or something (common on some older British cars, but not on a Santa Fe), causing a bound starter. Repeated attempts to start where the two conflict for any reason can be bad news for the flywheel, too.

Let us know what they find.
I sure hope not, I smelled burnt starter motor the morning i went out to replace and some smoke came from its general area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope you're not now tip to tip on the starter/flywheel teeth or something (common on some older British cars, but not on a Santa Fe), causing a bound starter. Repeated attempts to start where the two conflict for any reason can be bad news for the flywheel, too.

Let us know what they find.
Well replacing the starter and ignition switch did it, everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have an '08 Santa Fe, which has had no major issues, until this year....had to have fuel sensor pumps replaced, and also had an issue with the grinding sound on turning over the ignition, this has not been fixed yet, as my mechanic wants me to see if I can tell if is the starter, or ignition. I'm thinking now it might be the ignition switch as it seems other people with similar mileage and same year Santa Fe's have had this problem too.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I also have an '08 Santa Fe, which has had no major issues, until this year....had to have fuel sensor pumps replaced, and also had an issue with the grinding sound on turning over the ignition, this has not been fixed yet, as my mechanic wants me to see if I can tell if is the starter, or ignition. I'm thinking now it might be the ignition switch as it seems other people with similar mileage and same year Santa Fe's have had this problem too.
Slowly rotate key from lock to ACC,, does it take off cranking (starter run),,,

Yes,, switch fault.... DO NOT DRIVE... part on shelf at our place, rough $15.. take you all of 15 minute to replace as a DIY... I do it in maybe 5 minute

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. First time poster here.

i have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and there is a loud grinding sound when the car is in park and neutral. This noise doesn't happen all the time but i would say 50% of the time. When there is the noise it does go away when i put the car into drive or reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[QUOTE="Maciver, post: 5043985, m
Do we have an epidemic of 2008 ignition switch failures?

What's up with your fuel pump?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you crawl under your car there is a small black plastic inspection cover where you can pull off the cover and inspect the flywheel. It's around 1 inch by an inch and a half. Just pull on the tab.
yup that does the trick for me all the time

21 - 29 of 29 Posts