Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First time poster here.

i have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and there is a loud grinding sound when the car is in park and neutral. This noise doesn't happen all the time but i would say 50% of the time. When there is the noise it does go away when i put the car into drive or reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

i have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and there is a loud grinding sound when the car is in park and neutral. This noise doesn't happen all the time but i would say 50% of the time. When there is the noise it does go away when i put the car into drive or reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That it makes noise in park and neutral will make it easier to find. Put the front of your car on jack stands, open the hood and let your ears be your friend. Perhaps take of the underneath cover of the passenger wheel well(four bolts) for this will be where the belts are pulleys are. If you have no jack stands, ask your neighbors- 4 out of the 8 of my nearest neighbors have them. Social media is another good way to borrow them.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I hate noise questions! So hard to manage in printed form.

Is there ANY chance that what you're hearing is the vibration of one of the exhaust heat shields? As the engine shifts position slightly between in gear and out, the exhaust shifts ever so slightly as well, sometimes causing one of the shields to vibrate against other metal (exhaust, undercarriage, whatever). Give a listen as John suggests, but as needed, open up your search area a bit to the underside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i noticed today that the grinding sound also happens if i wiggle the key abit. Also when the sound occurs the electrical in the dash goes off. Like the radio turns off, no sound in from the speakers, nothing. then it all comes back on when the noise stops.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but ...

Would you recognize the sound of a starter throwing into a moving flywheel if you heard it? By any chance is THAT what you are describing?!?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but ...

Would you recognize the sound of a starter throwing into a moving flywheel if you heard it? By any chance is THAT what you are describing?!?
You could be on to something there. The starter may not be releasing because of a faulty ignition switch or some harness short. Either could affect dash power.

If its that you want if fixed ASAP a broken flywheel is going to be an expensive repair. Far more that a starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am have the same issue with my 2008 Sante Fe with 99,000 miles. Grinding sound when it starts. I also noticed that the car start when the key is in the ON position rather than the START position. The grinding is more pronounced when this happens. If I turn the key all the way to START the sound does not happen as much.
I am about to replace the ignition switch myself. It cost less than $30 for the switch and I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a low cost item.
My neighbor who is a car buff is also concerned about the sound. He wants to see what happens after the switch is replaced. If the grinding continues, he advised having an independent mechanic replace the starter and hope that the fly wheel is not damaged. If the fly wheel is damaged then I will drive the **** thing off a cliff...
I will hopefully keep you up to date on my progress and pray the switch resolves this hassle.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I am have the same issue with my 2008 Sante Fe with 99,000 miles. Grinding sound when it starts. I also noticed that the car start when the key is in the ON position rather than the START position. The grinding is more pronounced when this happens. If I turn the key all the way to START the sound does not happen as much.
I am about to replace the ignition switch myself. It cost less than $30 for the switch and I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a low cost item.
My neighbor who is a car buff is also concerned about the sound. He wants to see what happens after the switch is replaced. If the grinding continues, he advised having an independent mechanic replace the starter and hope that the fly wheel is not damaged. If the fly wheel is damaged then I will drive the **** thing off a cliff...
I will hopefully keep you up to date on my progress and pray the switch resolves this hassle.

If you crawl under your car there is a small black plastic inspection cover where you can pull off the cover and inspect the flywheel. It's around 1 inch by an inch and a half. Just pull on the tab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the late response.

I got busy and the sound got worse over time. I took the car to our friend who is a mechanic and he replaced the ignition switch. The sound stopped and the flywheel is ok. Total cost, $75.

Now I can relax and save up a few bucks to replace the fuel pump(s)...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yup - that was the sound of a starter holding an up close and personal discussion with a moving flywheel (post #5 ). I'm pleased to hear that your flywheel survived without damage. Would have been a lot messier to replace that than the ignition switch!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I had wonder with these locks doing so much on the electrical side and some failing.

Would it help lubricating the key mechanism with some spray in lubricant. Lithium or other? Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I haven't tried to back up a page to sort out where the 'lock' comment may be coming from -- recall only starter being thrown into flywheel.

The lock power doesn't pass through the ignition switch. The relays for those are operating on the unswitched side of the power.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I haven't tried to back up a page to sort out where the 'lock' comment may be coming from -- recall only starter being thrown into flywheel.

The lock power doesn't pass through the ignition switch. The relays for those are operating on the unswitched side of the power.

You're right it wasn't other than it being the cause of the grinding above. I know there is a lot of resistance some time turning the key. So I was thinking it may have led to the cylinder holding it partially engaged when it got that bad. Hence lubrication was a follow up I had been considering for some time.

One of the mast wiring diagrams showed the main power to the Trailer harness and other going through the switch and fusible links. I did not see a master power relay in those circuits.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Ah, you mean the ignition switch! I was off on power door locks.
Oh Yeah, re reading my post I can see how you arrived at that. Me Bad.. LOL
I cannot edit that post now. My mind was dwelling on the ignition lock which is the way I should have referred to it.

Sorry for that curve, it got away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmission Noise when in Park or Neutral

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata and I have recently started to get that sound when the car is in park or neutral. The sound is very similar to the sound you hear when you mistaken turn the ignition key and the car is already turned on.

What was the final outcome in your case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata and I have recently started to get that sound when the car is in park or neutral. The sound is very similar to the sound you hear when you mistaken turn the ignition key and the car is already turned on.

What was the final outcome in your case?
Did replacing the ignition switch solve your problem as well? My 2008 Santa Fe has developed the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I woke up this morning to go and drive, the starter ground and whirred like usual in park and neutral. I then got the ignition switch and replaced it, the grinding noise is gone but now the starter threw smoke and no longer will start. Time for a trip to the mechanic.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Hope you're not now tip to tip on the starter/flywheel teeth or something (common on some older British cars, but not on a Santa Fe), causing a bound starter. Repeated attempts to start where the two conflict for any reason can be bad news for the flywheel, too.

Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (DOM:11/09/17)
387 Posts
Do we have an epidemic of 2008 ignition switch failures?

. . . Now I can relax and save up a few bucks to replace the fuel pump(s)...
What's up with your fuel pump?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts