Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While doing the first oil change on my car, I noticed some grey goop on the bottom of the dipstick. It formed booger-like clumps and had to be scraped off.

Has anybody else seen this on their dipstick? Maybe it's some type of assembly lube...?

·
22,788 Posts
While doing the first oil change on my car, I noticed some grey goop on the bottom of the dipstick. It formed booger-like clumps and had to be scraped off.

Has anybody else seen this on their dipstick? Maybe it's some type of assembly lube...?
I have not seen this on any of my Elantra’s. I’d suggest calling your dealer’s service writer and your salesman. Inquire with them. Probably nothing. But hey, a phone call costs nothing and can bring peace of mind.

Reactions: NDSE

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No. Very clean checking oil weekly. I did change FF early. How many mileage on the oil?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Do you drive your car long enough to get the engine hot?
Say like for more than twenty minutes at a time?
If not then it may be moisture in the crankcase that is getting mixed up with the oil??
Don't know. Just guessing.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
A greyish white goop is usually found in the winter in cold climates when the vehicle is driven short distances and never given a time to warm up and burn off the condensation in the crankcase. It sounds like condensation but to happen in the summer is unusual. Guess the question is, do you drive very short distances without that engine really heating up?

If you do drive it enough then see what the dealer has to say as it should not be condensation.

·
Registered
689 Posts
might be coolant getting mixed in via leak. check your coolant level. hard to know if you don't post a pic of this grey goop for us to see.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
might be coolant getting mixed in via leak. check your coolant level. hard to know if you don't post a pic of this grey goop for us to see.
If you get coolant in the oil the engine will be toast in 500 miles or less.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't do a good job explaining in the OP. It's not really a goop, it's more like small layers I peeled off the dipstick. It was like the dipstick was shedding a gray coating, but the stick has no gray to begin with. It looked almost like peeled plasti-dip lol

The oil that drained out of the sump was clean and debris-free. I posted this over on BITOG and they think it might be extra moly from assembly. Some guy with a Mazda had a similar thing happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts