Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello People!!!

I've just joined this forum and it's already keeping me busy answering a few peoples problems.

Just for the record, I recently purchased a 1999 T-reg Hyundai Accent MVI Coupe with the 1.5 litre, 16 valve, fuel injected engine. This was the last registration in the UK of the older body style.

I may not be a motoring expert - but have maintained my own car for the past few years (boutght the Accent for a break) - so I may be able to help with most niggles - although mosly to do with the model I have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Soul, nice name by the way. I just purchased the 2002 Hyundai Accent GS. I am also new to the boards and would appreciate any answers to whatever questions I can come up with.

I live in Ontario, Canada. My car has a 1.6 litre engine and is nordic white. I have 2 questions. What does GS mean? and I have one teeny rust spot on the front of the hood, how difficult is it to fix it?

Originally posted by soullink@Aug 4 2004, 11:22 AM
Hello People!!!

I've just joined this forum and it's already keeping me busy answering a few peoples problems.

Just for the record, I recently purchased a 1999 T-reg Hyundai Accent MVI Coupe with the 1.5 litre, 16 valve, fuel injected engine.  This was the last registration in the UK of the older body style.

I may not be a motoring expert - but have maintained my own car for the past few years (boutght the Accent for a break) - so I may be able to help with most niggles - although mosly to do with the model I have.
[snapback]688[/snapback]​

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's best to blend it down to the metal, so that you cant see any more rust. This may take some time and you want to remove as little of the surrounding 'good' paintwork as possible.

De-grease the area with a clean cloth and some white spirit / meths, then apply an anti-rust compound to the bare metal (follow instructions on packet).

Once dry, apply the primer coat - you may need to do this several times to build the paint level back upto that of the surrounding paint. Do this by spraying the primer into the cans lid, then use a brush to paint it in.

Getting some very fine Wet & Dry paper, wet it and blend the painted area to follow the same contour as the surrounding metal work. This will take time, and dont worry if you slightly rub off some of the surrounding white paint.

De-grease the area and apply your top coat (white in your case) to the area - to do this smoothly, mask off an area around the repair that is about 3 to 4 inches from the edges of the repair (cover a lot of the body work and don't spray in a windy area), then get an A4 piece of card and cut a hole approx 1/2 an inch diameter in the center. Hold this near the area to be painted (approx 1 - 2 inches above) and spray across the hole in the card, moving the card as necessary - but NEVER spray upto the masking tape, or this will create raised lines.

Once dry clean the area again and de-grease with a gentle cleaning solvent (white spirit may remove your thin top coat)

Finally spray a layer of laquer over the 'repaired' area in the same way you sprayed the top coat - but cover a wider area this time (so the new lacquer overlaps the old). The lacquer helps to keep the paint shiney, prevents it from fading and helps protect the paint. Ensure you get the right kind of primer for the paint you are using for the top coat.

I cannot promise a perfect finish, but if you take time it should blend in nicely and should not fade.

Feel free to ask me any questions on things you are not sure of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts