Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really know where else to post this, and this is just a review and not a sales pitch.

For any bikers out there that need to carry one bike, there's no more affordable rack than the Allen Sports MT1 Ultra Compact bike rack. I've been using it for a while to transport a Klein ATB to and from trails and paths and it's really worked out well.

From my experience I know it will definitely fit the coupe and sedan for sure, including any models with the OEM back spoiler (mine has one). I think it would fit the GT too from looking at their website. I didn't want to post this in general as I have no way of knowing if this would really fit another model or age line of Hyundai.

This thing folds and unfolds making it really compact (even comes with a small storage bag thing, I just leave mine in the trunk as it really takes up very little room - my tennis gear takes up way more ;)). There's just two adjustable straps with coated hooks for the top trunk edge and one long strap loop that for our cars hooks right up to the tow hook loop thingie up under the back bumper. Literally takes moments to install and take down. It cradles/holds the top tube with two straps - note that newer weird shaped top tubes (esp on aero road bikes) might cause a problem if they are too tall, my Klein has kind of an oversized round top tube and it fits ok. It has a lower bumper to keep the bike from bouncing against the car bumper or any other part of the rear of the Elantra.

Price-wise you can find this rack for $40 or under online so it's really affordable. One tip I would suggest is where the upper rests touch the top of the trunk I always use a microfiber cloth to dust those contact areas before setting up - it has two rubber feet things that actually touch the top of the trunk. I also tied a double-knot in the two excess top straps so when the loose ends are in the trunk someone would have a hard time trying to steal the rack when mounted. Also when transporting a bike I'd suggest using a bungee cord between the front and rear wheels just to keep the front wheel from swinging loosely from side to side.

So in summary, at least in my opinion, this is a great rack for anyone who needs to transport just one bike affordably and safely.

·
22,793 Posts
Good stuff. Nice pre-emptive strike against potential thievery, too. Ride an extra few miles for me so I don't have to. ;)

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Those trunk strap mount racks always made me nervous. Went to Yakima roof rack almost 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. Not cheap but solid and secure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,793 Posts
lol Rich, I rode 32 miles yesterday, so consider the last 2 for you ;)
Don, I'm feeling the pain! Let's cut it down to about 50-110 feet, or so. Preferably, down hill. Is that doable? ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post on these forums, as I've been lurking since I bought my elantra about 3 weeks ago.

I used to have a Scion tc, and I used the king joe II bike rack, and I believe it says in the booklet for mounting it also fits the new Elantra's. It's pretty much not biking season here, so I haven't taken the time so see how it fits on the 2013 Elantra. But it fit very well on my Scion.

But I paid ~$150, and that Allen one you recommend is only $40 on Amazon. So not much of a competition for people who only need 1 bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using the Saris Bones 2 for a few years. Very solid/stable and takes all of a minute to put on/take off

On Amaon:
Amazon.com: Saris Bones 805 (2-Bike) Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors
The only thing I am very careful about is making sure to wipe down the rubber/foam contacts on the bike rack, as well as the area of the car where it rests. Before and after I mount it.

I always own black cars, so I am particularly careful about not trying to scratch that paint.

If you remember to do that, these types of removable bike racks are awesome, and a lot cheaper than a hitch + bike rack.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing I am very careful about is making sure to wipe down the rubber/foam contacts on the bike rack, as well as the area of the car where it rests. Before and after I mount it.

I always own black cars, so I am particularly careful about not trying to scratch that paint.

If you remember to do that, these types of removable bike racks are awesome, and a lot cheaper than a hitch + bike rack.

Yep, I do the same - I think also having had the Opti-Coat 2.0 surface coating applied helps to protect the finish as well as it's stronger than the clearcoat itself.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don, I'm feeling the pain! Let's cut it down to about 50-110 feet, or so. Preferably, down hill. Is that doable? ;)
lol Rich, sure, what say we come up with a custom trike for you? Only thing is I don't know what kind of rack would possibly fit a setup like that ;)

·
22,793 Posts
were are connecting the lower strap to?
my rhode gear has 2 straps.
thanks
Looks like he has the lower strap secured underneath at the tow bracket. Or whatever it's call these days. "Hold-down bracket?"

You've got one. It's under there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts