Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited 1.6T
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just now after getting back from lunch I noticed a lot of grease has been flung along the lower drivers side of my car. It looks like it came from the drivers side front wheel area. The tire is dry, and free from any grease on it, so I'm not sure if something could have lost all of that grease, or if I just ran over it and there is not a trace on the tire.

Is there anything I should check to see if it has broken? All of the rubber boots looked to be in good shape.

I do not recall running anything over on my way to lunch, but I do work in an industrial area, so it is possible. Just seems odd that there is nothing on the tire or wheel cover.

Jon

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would imagine it is something that was kicked up by the tires from the road but that should be apparent by the pattern of the substance on the body. It would be pretty clear by the spray pattern that it had come off the tires.

There isn't that much grease used in the car to come out in any volume. You could check all the fluids (brake, transmission, power steering, engine oil) under the hood to make sure everything is in order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first guess when I read the topic headline was CV boot grease. I had this happen on my first car (chevy), noticed grease all over the inside of the wheel and fender. I would double check the boot, sometimes it is difficult to see that they are bad without lifting the car.

Otherwise rallyman is right, it's probably just crap from the road.

It is the start of road construction season.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (TheCapt @ Apr 30 2010, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318237
Hello,

Just now after getting back from lunch I noticed a lot of grease has been flung along the lower drivers side of my car. It looks like it came from the drivers side front wheel area. The tire is dry, and free from any grease on it, so I'm not sure if something could have lost all of that grease, or if I just ran over it and there is not a trace on the tire.

Is there anything I should check to see if it has broken? All of the rubber boots looked to be in good shape.

I do not recall running anything over on my way to lunch, but I do work in an industrial area, so it is possible. Just seems odd that there is nothing on the tire or wheel cover.

Jon

Look very closely at both wheel areas. If it came off the road, you will see at least some
grease (or asphalt) inside both fender wells. If only 1 wheel, something probably released
some grease. Even if it did, it's not serious. You have plenty of time to re-pack the wheel
bearing or CV joint and replace the boot or cup.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If it is not on the wheel or tire, look closely at the interior CV joint. Clearly the most likely source of grease. If it was the outside CV joint you would probably have grease on the wheel and tire.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
+1 on the CV joints. Have your car put up on a lift and get the CV joints inspected. If the grease came from one or more CV joints get it fixed immediately. If the CV joints go dry they fail VERY quickly; they're expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited 1.6T
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I took it in to have it looked at and to get a brake inspection. I'm told I probably ran over something with grease on it. They saw nothing wrong. They suggested I use WD40 to get the grease off...we will see how that works.

Also, as documented all over here, front brakes have a lot of life left, rear brakes have about 50 miles left :blink: ...I didn't hear a single noise coming from them, I'm amazed that the dealer didn't catch this when I had the 30,000 mile service done last month.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (TheCapt @ May 3 2010, 10:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319263
Thanks for all of the replies. I took it in to have it looked at and to get a brake inspection. I'm told I probably ran over something with grease on it. They saw nothing wrong. They suggested I use WD40 to get the grease off...we will see how that works.

Also, as documented all over here, front brakes have a lot of life left, rear brakes have about 50 miles left :blink: ...I didn't hear a single noise coming from them, I'm amazed that the dealer didn't catch this when I had the 30,000 mile service done last month.
Probably all those RWD burn outs you do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts