Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see another Navigation update will be available on the 12th.

The more I thought about it, why should/would I pay $200+ every few years for an update, when I can spend under $200 for a 6" Garmin GPS with lifetime map & traffic updates.

Yes it's nice to have that 8" screen and no visible cords but it's not cost effective as far as I'm concerned. Don't tell me it cost even close to $200 to load a new map onto a SD card.

Rant over....

·
Registered
169 Posts

The more I thought about it, why should/would I pay $200+ every few years for an update, when I can spend under $200 for a 6" Garmin GPS with lifetime map & traffic updates.

Yes it's nice to have that 8" screen and no visible cords but it's not cost effective as far as I'm concerned. Don't tell me it cost even close to $200 to load a new map onto a SD card.

Rant over....
Your answer is Android auto or Apple's carplay.

Google Maps and Waze maps are always updated and free

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts

Rant over....
That's why I use android auto and just use waze.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think the GPS will still be fairly accurate and effective even without updates. My guess is that percentage of new roads on maps vs unchanged is not that great.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the GPS will still be fairly accurate and effective even without updates. My guess is that percentage of new roads on maps vs unchanged is not that great.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
There's a new extension of a road near me that was completed about two years ago and driving on it last night appeared on the GPS like I was driving in space, nothing..... I think for research purposes, I'll take my wife's Garmin and see if the road has been added their may data base.

I think I'll wait to see if any sales come down the road for the map update for the Tucson unit before I buy a handheld unit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shortly after I purchased my 2012 Tucson they completely reconfigured the interstate exchange near my home. With the new configuration the off ramp and on ramps were switched around. So my Hyundai's GPS would tell me to enter into oncoming traffic if I activated the route guidance before I got on the interstate. I took it to the dealership and complained. They told me it would be $150 to have the GPS updated to the latest version. I spent the next couple of week calling and emailing everyone I could at Hyundai. I told them that had I known that the maps would not be updated I would not have spent the extra $3K on the model with the GPS. I also told them it was a safety issue that could easily cause and accident. One of the customer service agents told me that if I paid for the update that they would reimburse me. So I did, and the interstate exchange was still wrong. The only thing that changed was the map background color. After a couple more calls and complaints Hyundai finally sent me a $300 service credit to cover the $150 I had spent and to pay for a future update. I ended up using the $150 for a fuel injection service later on instead.
I traded that Tucson in for the 2017 and got the GPS again so I guess I was not too unhappy with how it worked out. It would be nice if they just made the updates available for free on their website.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The update was punted out today and I had a look at the release notes. It doesn't add any new functionality (unless you've never updated your maps from the factory ones) and other than whatever roads and POI's they've added, I don't really see the value in getting it. Especially since any navigation that I do is via Apple CarPlay. Speaking of CarPlay, the only exception is that it has "bug fixes" for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Though the notes that are currently online don't say what bugs have been fixed.

In the absence of more specific info, I think I'll skip this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts