Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably shouldn't post this as I haven't actually "bought" the car yet, but I am rather nervous. I've been doing a ton of research on midsize sedans.

What has me worried.

1.) Steering issue
2.) transmission issue
3.) Various forums. edmunds etc.. that have specific forums for each car type. The Sonata ones are riddled with buyer issues..
a.) the other cars forums are not riddled with complaints or 'issues'.
4.) will the awesome exterior look get dated in the next 2 years. Wow now, blah later.

Do you all feel that the Sonata has a higher percentage, though probably small, of "issues" attributed to their cars? And the constant service upsells.. do all dealers do this for service? Seems shady, and then that reflects poorly on those who hire them..

Of course, the thing that keeps me tethered to the possibility of a purchase is everything you get for the price.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Don't worry. Most issues were early ones. "Never get the first year of a redesign." I was always told that, didn't listen, but I'm doing ok. Most issues have been ironed out by now. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a vehicle that doesn't have some issues with a model. Mercedes just recalled a bunch of cars, and as the owner of BMWs, there are things that are more common ....doesn't mean it happens to everyone.

I just find, for some reason, there are more complainers in the Hyundai community. Maybe since most of them are budget kind of cars, maybe it invites a certain person. I do know that most people post more about bad things then good. Few will start a thread about how much they love their car, even when they do. I like my Sonata just fine, but I'm not staring a thread to say so. If a piston goes flying through my hood, I probably will make a post about it.

Going back three years, would I have made the same choice? Yes. That says enough for me.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
My Sonata has been back to the dealer only for oil changes in the first 14 months and 22K miles of trouble free service.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Really ??

I guess maybe that depends on your definition of "riddled" but EVERY forum I have visited had a LOT of horror stories.
Forums attract unhappy owners like moths to a flame.

I don't think the percentages for Hyundai models are any higher than other makes, in general.

P.S. Some forums actively discourage negative reports......and some do it behind the scenes so it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I probably shouldn't post this as I haven't actually "bought" the car yet, but I am rather nervous. I've been doing a ton of research on midsize sedans.

What has me worried.

1.) Steering issue
2.) transmission issue
3.) Various forums. edmunds etc.. that have specific forums for each car type. The Sonata ones are riddled with buyer issues..
4.) will the awesome exterior look get dated in the next 2 years. Wow now, blah later.

Do you all feel that the Sonata has a higher percentage, though probably small, of "issues" attributed to their cars? And the constant service upsells.. do all dealers do this for service? Seems shady, and then that reflects poorly on those who hire them..

Of course, the thing that keeps me tethered to the possibility of a purchase is everything you get for the price.
I beg to differ.... I researched all midsize sedans before I bought my sonata in February. The final decision was down to an accord or the sonata. The 2013 accord forums were loaded with countless problems. Including but not limited to major transmission flaws in their new CVT. Countless electrical problems such as gps flaws, stereo was garbage, side view camera issues, and many interface issues. I could go on.... After my long research I picked the sonata as it just had less issues than the others I was looking at. Most sonata issues have been worked out since the 2011 first came out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Forums, in general, are loaded with complainers. People like to gripe.

I just bought a '13 Hybrid.

I own an '11 Elantra with 60k miles on it. Not a problem, except for a rattle on the heat shield on the exhaust, which they fixed with a simple clamp.

I would say most cars these days are all pretty much the same with performance, features and reliability. Just get what YOU like, that is all that matters.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I have had my 2012 SE Turbo for 1year and all I have done is regular maintenance. Love the car and the price!

·
Registered
461 Posts
my Sonatas been a problem child from day one, i attribute it to being from the 1st model year
list of issues:
dash gauges replaced b/c bad lcd pixels, srs computer replaced b/c air bag light on,chronic e brake problems always sticking/dragging even after 4 services,flaky oem remote start,outer tie rods,rust on inner edge of trunk fixed,tail lights taken off because excess flashing was rubbing paint off where they come to a point on rear fenders so they touched that up, trunk seems to contact the body some how chipping the paint off where the trunk lid drops down (just above the back up light/garnish trim on the trunk lids edge)all 4 rotors replaced ,pads,master cylinder,booster b/c car would not release front right and rear left brakes,trunk lock completely seized,thermostat replaced due to poor heat on way home dealer error caused it to loose all its fluid b/c crimped gasket was stuck over 2.5 hours at -15 in Dinorwic, ON..
I miss my two Accents, great lil cars love this one but alot of rattles,creaks, and other issues.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought a 2012 limited 2.0t a little over a year ago (CPO). Had to take it in twice. Once for a wastegate adjustment (turbo), once for a transmission temperature sensor. Both issues fixed under warranty. I have put about 28k miles on it in the year. They say hindsight is 20-20. I would buy the vehicle again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
32000 km and Trouble Free so far for my 2011 Sonata GLS

As my title says ... so far so good. I had a 2002 Toyota Camry before my 2011 Sonata. My Camry had all kinds of problems including a transmission that went bad (that's why I sold it for the Sonata).

Check out the Consumer Reports about cars you are interested in, but remember you may buy the "best Car" according to whom ever and still get a problem car.

Buy what ever car you feel best about and then don't look back.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
When bad things happen people want to tell the world. When good things happen they go out and get an ice cream.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

What has me worried.

1.) Steering issue
2.) transmission issue

Personally, I think the repair issue is a non-issue. Check out Consumer's Report. Pretty much trouble free.

But as the owner of a new Sonata SE and an Elantra GLS, I would put my money with the Elantra Limited with all the bells and whistles. It is surprisingly roomy and actually not that much smaller inside than the Sonata. And I actually prefer the ergonomics of the Elantra. Check Edmunds for dimensions side by side.

The Sonata is starting to get long in the tooth and due for a new model. Expect 2014 to be the last year of the current design production. Sales have been slipping. Elantra sales have been booming. But there are some enticing rebates on the Elantra last time I checked. Mine added up to $2,500 before the rest of the negotiation. I even got the hold-back. But I also got a $2,500 rebate on my Sonata as well.

I think the disgruntled owners are what I would call as "professional complainers." You couldn't satisfy them if they were hung with a new rope. It is extremely unlikely you will experience any repair issues. I've owned five Hyundais and I don't think I ever had any issues requiring repair.

I've got two issues with my Sonata that I would complain about. The steering wheel doesn't have a mute button for the radio. The Elantra does. And the NAV screen should be larger and at this point in time only gives the speed limit on the interstates rendering it nearly useless. My former Santa Fe had a larger screen and gave the speed limits even going through "Podunkville." Maybe there is a software fix for this; I'm not sure. The only issue with the Elantra is where the trunk release is located. That should be relocated.

I know you didn't ask about the Elantra but I'm giving you an option to check out. I would not consider the Elantra GT but go for the full all-out Limited sedan. I think you would be very happy. But you won't go wrong with the Sonata either except expect a redo before long. That will affect the resale value to some degree although the previous models from 2006 through 2010 still fetch some pretty fancy prices. A good used car will always command a high resale price regardless. And right now used car prices are downright ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
buying a car is very stressful and time consuming!
If you will be doing much highway driving.......long hours in the seat......pay particular attention to how the seat matches your rear end.....and back.

I've owned a lot of HOndas over the years but as I got older, I found the seats to be more and more uncomfortable; Toyotas too.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
yo!

Thanks for the responses everyone. Still on the fence.

Narrowed it down to:

Honda Accord XE
vs.
Sonata Limited
vs.
2014 Mazda6

buying a car is very stressful and time consuming!
The Accord has a CVT which is enough to make me stay away from it. The new Mazda 6 would be tempting though, I'd drive it against the Sonata to see which one you like best.

Browse the service departments of your local Hyundai, Honda, and Mazda dealers too and see which one gives you a better feeling. Crappy service can really take the enjoyment out of owning a new car.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

What has me worried.
My advice is don't buy one! You certainly can find other cars equipped just a well with equal performance-- spending two, three or four grand more is worth it not to be worried.

I'm quite satisfied with my 2013 Ltd. 2.0T-- you on the other hand, will always have "reservations" -- so just move on to another make and put your worried mind at ease.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My advice is don't buy one! You certainly can find other cars equipped just a well with equal performance-- spending two, three or four grand more is worth it not to be worried.

I'm quite satisfied with my 2013 Ltd. 2.0T-- you on the other hand, will always have "reservations" -- so just move on to another make and put your worried mind at ease.
Best advise yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Sonata LT TURBO Pulling left..fixed. Wastegate problems x2. Fixed and noticed immediate improvement with gas mileage and performance.
Will lease new in spring 2014.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts