Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited AWD, Stormy Sea
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I'm in need of attention today. Picked up my 2021 Limited AWD in Stormy Sea last night. I seem to be in the minority, but I actually like the 19" wheels and I think they look especially good with the detailed Continentals, which I think are a significantly more attractive tire than the Hankooks (Only speaking of looks here). Have only put about 20 miles on so far, but sure drives smooth. It's going to take me months to figure out how everything works...lol!

I do have a question about the lane keep assist. I don't intend to actually use it without holding the wheel, but I was showing a friend last night how it worked, so took my hands slightly off the wheel in a curve. The effect when I did that was pretty jerky, as in the car would straighten and turn, then straighten and turn, and so on. Is that normal? Honestly, I think I would like this turned off by default, unless I ask for it. I assume there is a way to do that, but I still have lots of reading to do.

This is not a good photo, but I think the Stormy Sea is gorgeous.

20210407_105857.jpg 20210407_015314.jpg

Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
Lane assist is usually smoother than what you described. UNLESS... there are gaps in the painted lines. Like a turning lane opens up on the right, your car will jerk towards that lane for a split second, sometime nudging the wheel is necessary. Or if the painted line just disappears or is badly faded. It seems to use the lines as a guide and if the line isnt there, your car doesn't know what to do. That and the Forward Collision Avoidance Tech seems to kick in a little early for my tastes.

Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
People really seem to dislike the wheels for now, but I remember when people thought these were hideous, and now they are probably the MOST sought after wheels for people who are still Driving the OLD Nissan trucks from the 90's. The call them "Lego" wheels or "Millenium Falcon" wheels.

So I say give it a while. Who knows, in a few years, people will consider the 19's the most sought after wheels for a Santa Fe.

Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
There's a button to turn it off. You can also change the reaction setting to the safety tech in the menu. I have mine set to react later as the normal setting was causing it to trigger too much.

Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
You probably got the LKA in a low setting, change it to the active setting (in 2019/2020). Don't know what it is called in 2021. This is a perfect example the need to have a separate forum for 2021 SF!

The behavior you observed is due to the longer reposnse and correction time in the low setting. Also, learn the limitation of the system.

Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Yeah, I'm in need of attention today. Picked up my 2021 Limited AWD in Stormy Sea last night. I seem to be in the minority, but I actually like the 19" wheels and I think they look especially good with the detailed Continentals, which I think are a significantly more attractive tire than the Hankooks (Only speaking of looks here). Have only put about 20 miles on so far, but sure drives smooth. It's going to take me months to figure out how everything works...lol!

I do have a question about the lane keep assist. I don't intend to actually use it without holding the wheel, but I was showing a friend last night how it worked, so took my hands slightly off the wheel in a curve. The effect when I did that was pretty jerky, as in the car would straighten and turn, then straighten and turn, and so on. Is that normal? Honestly, I think I would like this turned off by default, unless I ask for it. I assume there is a way to do that, but I still have lots of reading to do.

View attachment 456365 View attachment 456366
IMG-1416.png

If you press momentarily you get the wheel icon for Lane Following assist. It is very good on straight sections of highway. It is less efficient on curves, and it tends to get too close to the side it is turning to.

If you press for a second or two, you get Lane Keeping assist. In that setting the car will go from side to side as the car approaches one lane marking or the other. I have also found that if I exit right without using the turn signals, this mode will try to get you back into the lane and can cause an accident depending on how you react to this unexpected force.

I feel comfortable using Lane Following assist.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

I LOVE those Nissan wheels!

I will have more time this weekend and next week to go through the manual and hopefully learn how to adjust all these settings. If it still seems wonky, I will ask the dealer. Oddly, this one seems less intrusive in normal driving than the one I test drove in February, so maybe that one was setup differently. Please understand that I just advanced 30 years in automotive technology last night, so I have a LOT to learn...lol!

Banned
I have been using the lane following assist and have been very impressed with it. It actually steers the car threw curves, and over a certain speed you don't even have to keep your hands on the wheel. There a so many features on the Calligraphy and so far they all work flawless.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I did go out and figured out how to change a lot of the settings. Any settings in my other car are changed by wrenches...haha!

Registered
07 Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.3; '21 Santa Fe Limited AWD 2.5T
I love the color too. That was my favorite option, but we wanted to get away from blue-ish. We went with Portofino Gray.

Reactions: ChuckH0308

Registered
鈥19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
No need for lane keeping around town. Annoying. Only enjoyable to me on a highway.

Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
I also agree LKA is mainly useful for well painted daytime freeway drives. Sometimes on a road trip I forget to put it on, then the occasional "beep beep" can get irritating (like when a semi truck drifts towards me so I counter into the line).
It's probably my least liked safety feature. The smart cruise is great assuming you don't get caught dropping 10mph following slow traffic. The backup cross traffic sensor and blind spot are the best. Just last week merging on 2 freeways the blind spot saved me from swiping someone that snuck up on me, I TOTALLY did not see them in mirrors. FWIW I averaged 31.5 mpg on a 200 miles 70mph+ drive with my 2019 Limited AWD 2.4L - good bye winter with about 10% mpg improvements.

Registered

View attachment 456365 View attachment 456366
You apparently live in WA State. How faded were the lane markings? Seriously! These safety systems would work much better if our state would re-stripe the roads annually.

Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
The LKA works equally well at night time. My favor is SCC working in stop&go traffic, the best gadget.

Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited (Portofino Gray)
I also think the wheels on the limited look good. I like them better than the wheels on the Calligraphy, but it is just a matter of opinion. For me, the Calligraphy wheels are too flashy.

Also I think there are differences between Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), Lane Following Assist (LFA) and Highway Driving Assist (HDA). Not sure what you had turned on/off. I think LKA is only meant to nudge you back into the lane where Lane Following Assist steers the car to stay centered in the lane.

Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
I also think the wheels on the limited look good. I like them better than the wheels on the Calligraphy, but it is just a matter of opinion. For me, the Calligraphy wheels are too flashy.

Also I think there are differences between Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), Lane Following Assist (LFA) and Highway Driving Assist (HDA). Not sure what you had turned on/off. I think LKA is only meant to nudge you back into the lane where Lane Following Assist steers the car to stay centered in the lane.
Are ALL of these available on the SF? Or is it just that some companies call it LKA while others call it LFA. I think it gets confusing like the AWD being apart time 4wd vs a true 4WD with locking diffs vs Limited Slip diffs with brake assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts