Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it might be too early to declare that the Continental Pro Contact Eco Plus tires I had installed this Saturday are great tires, but it is definitely NOT too early to declare the OEM tires I replaced were spectacularly crappy!

34,271 miles, 3/32" tread left. First winter with @ 7,000 miles, they handled OK in the snow. 2nd winter, I felt like an unguided missile most of the time. The Conti's already have shown a huge improvement.

The new tires are also far quieter. With the old tires, listening to talk radio required me to set the volume to at least 30 on the freeway. Yesterday, I had it set on 19!

As the new tires wear, I'll post opinions on how they do. But for now, I'm just relieved to be done with the OEMs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sold on Continentals also! Just installed a new set, only mine were the PureContact Eco Boost. So far I love them. They seem much quieter and softer. Will comment later as they have more wear.

·
22,793 Posts
Amazing, isn't it? What a decent set of treads underneath will do for handling, performance, and (the best part) "SOUND" abatement! I guess it's like getting a hearing aid, yet not having to stick anything into your ear. Nice to hear wind noise, now. That's new.

·
Registered
169 Posts
agreed that the stock tires are trash. got me some Michelin primacy mxm4

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Yoshi and Mickey---we think alike. You will both love your tires.

Yosh--advice to you...rotate the DWS as often as possible. Thats how I got 52K out of them and I drive very spirited. IE I know that the Sled will take an off-ramp at about 55 MPH with no issues!

Mickey--I only have about 19K on my MXM4s but so far so good. Hopefully you didn't put nitrogen in your tires. I had that at first after mounting mine (dealer installed) and got a bunch of TPMS warnings. Put in standard air from my air compressor (have a drier installed so no moisture) and that took care of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just ordered Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 and can't wait to get those crappy Khumo off. I'm basically driving racing slicks they are so worn out. CAN'T WAIT for mine. I plan on getting the PureContact with EcoPlus Technology for the summer time..

·
Registered
687 Posts
My factory current rear factory tires both blew out this weekend. One on the walls on the inside, one the outside walls. Strange. I will cross 40,000 miles on the way home. They both had a lot of treat left.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roads were terrible this morning. I have a gully I go through every morning, and I know for a fact that in my old tires, I would have never gotten up the hill on the far side. In fact, my wife just called to say she hardly made it up the same hill.

With the new tires, I had no problem at all. And a curve that I had been sliding partly through when there was snow on the ground was no problem this morning.

So, Quieter - Check. Better traction - Check. Better Fuel economy - TBA. Tread wear - TBA. But I've never been happier spending $530.00.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Roads were terrible this morning. I have a gully I go through every morning, and I know for a fact that in my old tires, I would have never gotten up the hill on the far side. In fact, my wife just called to say she hardly made it up the same hill.

With the new tires, I had no problem at all. And a curve that I had been sliding partly through when there was snow on the ground was no problem this morning.

So, Quieter - Check. Better traction - Check. Better Fuel economy - TBA. Tread wear - TBA. But I've never been happier spending $530.00.
That sounds very reasonable. if you don't mind saying where you purchased them from.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I replaced my OEMs in September w/Defenders. Love 'em.

·
Registered
458 Posts
A little over an inch of snow fell here this morning, I went out this afternoon and all I have to say is the Hankook Optimo's have to go. Hardly and control at all. Am going in morning for new tires, leaning to Bridgestone blizzax's or continental extreme dsw's or maybe Michelins, but probably be what ever discount tire has in stock as these things have got to be put away until spring. Any other suggestions???

·
22,793 Posts
Any other suggestions???
Uh, yeah..."sell the Hankooks as fast as possible." In the Spring, plunk down some bucks for a softer, quieter, better handling brand. Lots to choose from. You'll thank yourself, and me, later. :wink2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's a thread I started a month or so ago talking about choosing which tires I wanted. I had a number of friends suggest going to tirerack.com, as this was the least expensive way to buy tires. Once I compared the cost of the tires, shipping, and installation by an authorized installer with a local tire shop, the local guy saved me about $30.00. Not a big savings, but I supported a local merchant, too. The name of the company is Consumer Tire.

·
22,793 Posts
...the local guy saved me about $30.00. Not a big savings, but I supported a local merchant, too. The name of the company is Consumer Tire.
Nice! This guy will remember you, too. And he'll be a nice source for any tire repairs you may need in the future. Always good to have a reliable source nearby when the "rubber meets the road," so to speak. Pun intended, BTW! ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
One tire that has my attention is the Nitto Motivo, the price is right, the wet and dry reviews are solid and the winter traction appears to be more than adequate. Again this is an all season tire not a dedicated winter tire. The Motivos are available at DT for $125+install.

In November I installed a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on my 2.0T, I plan to use them until the snow stops flying. They are an "all weather" tire, slightly different than a winter tire. They offer most of the winter tire aspects, softer rubber, more siping etc but the rubber is slightly harder and have a 30,000 mile tread warranty. Over the winter I am trying to sell my OEM Hankook Optimo H431 and replace them with the Motivos.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have the Motivos. I love them. Not to mention they are 60,000 mile tires that seem to last that long according to reviews.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just got 4 continental extreme Contact Dws tires, 4 MB Wheels Alpina rims, dropped down to 17 inch has they had no 18's in stock, 1400 for all including all taxes, TPMS sensors, fees and other stuff they charge you for. Noticed the difference immediately, in both the ride and handling. Stock rims and tires are resting in garage till spring will try to wear out the garbage tires this summer on several road trips, but knowing me, I will have new tires mounted on the stock rims this spring. The Hankooks are really bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts