Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity of getting i believe a 2004 accent gt for next to nothing. It recently lost reverse and all gears aside from first. The codes it is triggering are p0734 p0732 and p0733. Prior to throwing the codes it moved back but wouldn't budge forward. With codes no reverse or any gear higher than first. Car has 160k miles I am pretty mechanical. Should I run from this "cheap" "gas saver" or pick it up? With all 3 codes could it be just that sensor? Basically what should I check out before saying yes I want it. And sorry if I could have searched better I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's probably close to an entire transmission overhaul. I had the exact same codes and I can tell you what that has meant....

I've attached a diagram of the internals of the transmission. To do this yourself, you'd have to be comfortable tearing a transmission apart. I wouldn't touch a junk yard transmission for this car this a ten foot pole. Chances are the problem is well on its way in any used trans. A new one... well... if you've got the $$ that's fine....

On the diagram, you're probably going to need Part #:

622 (shell)
614 (rev sun gear depending on how the teeth look)

Those are just the 'hard' parts. You're going to need a few 'soft' parts as well. O-rings, seals, gaskets....

So unless you're willing to either A) risk a salvaged trans B )rebuild your current trans or C) buy a new trans.... I'd walk away. My 2 cents....

EDIT:

I forgot to figure costs...

Tearing out the trans and rebuilding/repairing yourself: ~$200 in parts + fluid/filter
Salvaged trans: ~$400 and up
New trans: ~$1,100 (never found it that cheap, just a rumor) to $1,800

Hours:
repair/rebuild: ~8 (if your fast with the pull and install, the build doesn't take long)
Salvaged or new: ~5 but again that's all in how fast you can force the old one out and new one in. It's a VERY tight fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Pretty sure I am gonna run away from this one. I personally hate automatic trannys and this is why!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Pretty sure I am gonna run away from this one. I personally hate automatic trannys and this is why!
Me too.... especially the A4AFs and A4BFs.

BUT, I'm becoming pretty skilled with these, so where's this dirt cheap accent? :D

I've got a nicely built drivetrain now with a terrible body. I'd bet I've got 20 hours of body work to do still. Door dings aren't usually so hard to fix, but when the sheet metal is as thin as paper, it's quite interesting and time consuming. When you park in a lot with 100+ other cars for 8-9 years, the dings really add up.

I wouldn't mind finding a decent body w/title to swap my drivetrain into. My engine has 40k on it and it's a 2004. The trans made it to 160k before the first p0734 fix and 174k before the trans needed a full overhaul.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So you never did post a thread on the overhaul for the A4AF3? @blackcoog
I saw many posts all related to this trans and I'm curious. I haven't done an overhaul on these yet but I would like to. I like to do things the right way when possible, I too, had to do the P0734 fix years back but I don't like knowing I never overhauled it. Trannys like to be immaculate inside and the fact I only messed with the overdrive clutch/area bothers me. Way to Go on doing the overhaul yourself BTW! Huge accomplishment!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Its in Granby ct body far from perfecf tho.
To be honest it sounds like its cheap for a reason and with all those transmission issues plus the fact it sounds like it fought in the Battle of Kursk and lost, badly; it is probably best to run.

The problem is you could spend alot of money and time repairing that transmission only to find the engine sounds and runs like it has more in common with a hot bulb Lanz than something from the last 100 years - cue more expense and time...

Note: When advising newbies regarding transmission removals and the like it would be advisable to mention that these parts or assemblies are HEAVY - transmission case on its own falling on you is more than capable of breaking bones - not to mention the horrors that can happen if the car is badly jacked and it slips - it may not look like much but an accent kerb weight is over 1000kg - and that lot falling on you is an experience that you may not recover from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts