Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of you have replaced the odd looking antenna mast on top of their Tucson. I'm looking for a replacement mast (under 10in long) that doesn't resemble a "ribbed rubber dildo", and functions well as an AM/FM antenna mast. I know there are some short aftermarket masts out there, but many are very cheaply made and will not pick up radio reception well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
222 Posts
If you are that concerned with the antenna, simply replace your radio with a Pioneer Supertuner. They don't need antennas; they are antennas! :wink:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U- G- L- Y, Hyundai got no alibi...It's UGLY!

The antenna really bothers you that much?
The Tucson has one of the ugliest antenna masts I've seen. "Ribbed for her pleasure Dong." I found some aftermarket antennas online that are thinner and less obtrusive, just not certain how well they'll work. I guess it's trial and error time...

·
Registered
669 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
They ALL look battery operated

..so I'm keeping with OEM, the most manly looking one thank you very much :grin2:

at least until I settle on an aftermarket more ladylike shark fin I can screw >:D

in

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hoping For Satisfying Results...

4-5 inches collapsed is quite a respectable piece of equipment, plus it grows quite a lot. Your Tucson should get a blast out of it.
I just ordered the antenna from Autoanything for "my ride." I'm certain the adjustable length will be a huge asset for her. I'll just collapse it for car washes, and fully extend it for maximum satisfaction (Radio listening, of course)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Will the OEM “Limited” shark fin fit the SE?
It might, but it is designed to be used for GPS & satellite radio instead of the broadcast AM & FM bands. I would guess that the connector is different.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm curious whether the actual screw into existing base shark fin FM antennas a la Beat-Sonic really work at least as well as the mast. If so it's my kind of (easily reversible) cosmetic mod.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Size matters

I'm curious whether the actual screw into existing base shark fin FM antennas a la Beat-Sonic really work at least as well as the mast. If so it's my kind of (easily reversible) cosmetic mod.
A shark fin will be too small for this application. Bigger is better, from what I'm told. :grin2:

·
Registered
239 Posts
It might, but it is designed to be used for GPS & satellite radio instead of the broadcast AM & FM bands. I would guess that the connector is different.
Then where is the AM/FM antenna on those models? We have a shark fin on the base Sonata and it works fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Then where is the AM/FM antenna on those models? We have a shark fin on the base Sonata and it works fine.
The antenna is built into the fin. The fin is there to also fit the GPS, bluelink and Sirius modules.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Is it possible the AM and FM antennae are in the rear window on the Sonata? That's where they are on the current generation Elantra.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok, I just looked it up. Indeed..... the AM/FM antenna is located in the back glass as it says on MyHyundai.com, and the parts site lists it as a "diversity antenna". So, its not that way on the Tucson? The little "penis" antenna gets radio and satellite?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts