Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Tucson was totaled out Sept.26th being the middle car in a 3 car crash. Luckily, my girlfiend & I got out alive, but me suffering the most injuries with a broken pelvis, clavicle (collarbone), and bruised up pretty bad from being asleep, & strapped into the passenger seat. We were airlifted out, after they cut the doors off, & I just got back home from rehab Weds. This all on a small country road in Jersey, below 40mph when she started to doze, & sideswiped a beer truck, which hit us, & pushed us head on into another mid size SUV ( Mazda C5 I think? luckily they were not injured as bad, and walked away).

The Tuc took quite a beating, & held up well, believe me it was done! I think the 5 star rating all around really helped!

I'm looking to get a newer Sportage Turbo if I can find a good deal? I like the sportier, rather then luxury, style, & of course more power.

I do have brand new factory fog lights leftover, I never installed, that I'm looking to sell, let me know if you're interested.

I will be back on occassion to exchange info,
All the best, Mike D.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Take care & get well soon. You have been a loyal member for a long time.
GL>

Thanks newtech,
I can just about stand right now, much less walk, a cumbersom wheelchair, toilet seat, hospital bed, special walker, & pain pills are all my best friend right now, any weight on my right leg is agonizing too, but I carry on because I must keep everything moving, & circulating. My broken collarbone is minor pain, & minor restriction now, but of course it's my right arm, my main one,,,lol

All is gone now, including some personal items, & the new Firestone tires, & NAPA's best front brakes that I just put on. Sorry, I can't evaluate, & rate them any further. By the way, I think the o.e. Sangsin ceramic brake pads grab a bit better.

look here:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2010/hyundai/tucson/brake/brake_pad_set.html

·
Registered
590 Posts
Glad to hear your OK and healing......I'm sure it sucks but sounds like you were lucky it wasn't much worse.

Good luck with whatever you choose as a replacement.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So true newtech, my girl Robyn is pretty much okay, she only needed few a stitches on her face, although there was a lot of blood, it looked worse. She's healing well, it's just our flashback reflex that scares us both if there's sudden loud noise nearby :eek:

She's stayed with me since the accident, helping me along the way thru the hospital, & rehab.

Thanks Buerkletucson, Yes, we were lucky! By the way I really liked the burl wood inserts, and might have done that myself, after seeing your's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. Glad you are (relatively) OK. I bought the Tucson last year after my Santa Fe was totaled when a sedan ran a red light. My brother kept trying to get me to buy a subaru, but I figured I walked away from that accident, so went back to Hyundai.

Best wishes for a fast recovery.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks Buerkletucson, Yes, we were lucky! By the way I really liked the burl wood inserts, and might have done that myself, after seeing your's.
Thanks!

It so easy to take things for granted in life..........until something like you experienced makes you realize we need to appreciate every single day we are here on earth to enjoy friends, family, and life.

I enjoy motorcycling and think of the risks every time I leave the driveway....
A kiss and "I love You" is said to my wife before I leave the driveway on each ride.

Thanks for telling the story and making us each think of our own vulnerability and appreciate what we have.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mike,
Holy Fookin Moly!
Good to read you and your GF are alive and recovering...good luck on the recovery, as we don't heal like we did as younger men.
Cars are replaceable, people ain't; get whatcha like.
GL, mD

·
Registered
166 Posts
Glad to hear you and your gril made it out alive and are recovering well... that's some scary stuff man.

Well hopefully you choose another Hyundai... but honestly I test drove the Sportage SX last year and let me tell you it's a f**** rocket!!! A very quick CUV with loads of grunt at every power range without the need for the tranny to shift down and find an adequate gear. The SX was released a month after i got my tucson, and i sometimes really wish i had of known about the SX because i probably would have got it (the price wasnt much more on the 2011's)...they've increased it since.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for the kind words. We are thankfull to be alive, but, nothing much has changed in my status. I keep wondering if I'll ever get better? I guess as you said motordavid being an old wordy motorhead (67) that never grew up doesn't help matters any,,,lol.

The follow up trip to my regular Drs. in the next town yesterday really wiped me out, but hey, I did get a workout taking more x-rays, eating out, plus in, & out of the car all day.

I'm now living out of the 1st level of my house (a bi-level, no kitchen), toilet, & wash up trips are agony, plus all the medical equip. they gave me is too big, or doesn't fit :rolleyes:

Thank God Robyn is okay, & a helping godsend!

Amongst all this, I bought a car Sat. I had no standby, & was borrowing Robyn's mom's Pontiac Vibe (talk about being tight, & uncomfortable!.

Being desperate, I needed a car but could not travel to far, or to often to look around, in my shape, But, a particular nearby one popped up, & I couldn't resist getting it (hoping God put it there to help me?)

When you can't kick the tires, look under the hood, or check it out atall, I put a lot of faith into it being a good choice? Fingers crossed!

It is a 2011 Sportage EX AWD in Techno Orange (copper, similar to the Tucson Limited model), with 22,5k miles on it, sadly not a turbo :( but so be it. I really like this color, & wanted it on the Tucson originally, but it was unavailable. A few more things I like are those "bitchin alloys" , and "***** eye" driving lights" :D By surprise I found out someone put those pimping dang, "blue head lights", tinted driver, & passenger windows, sport predals, & a well needed upper windsheild visor tint on this "old farts" car,,,LOL

It appears to ride smoother, & quieter then my Tucson,,, but, maybe that's just my imagination?

It has the stock 235/55/18" Hankook Optimo 426 tires on it, which will sadly need replacing soon, but good riddence because I never saw atire that had as Bad a rating all around at the tirerack as these, even the stock poorly rated Kumho KL 21 Tucson tires are better rated then these!:eek: So, here I go again hunting down new tires :(

Anyway, here's some Pix:

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was not sure what to buy, but I was pretty happy with everything the Tucson/Sportage did, & had. My only other car choice was a Sorento, but i kept asking myself do I really need the bigger vehicle? I never did get to drive one, but I'm sure I would have liked the V6 AWD.

State Farm was surprisingly, very generous, (after all the Tuc had 52k miles on it) So I managed to trade in my old 98' Dodge Neon Sport 83k orig miles, but (needing a head gasket), and add a few thousand to get the Sportage at $22k,,, so, that part was a home run for me!:D

I also figured as long as I had this large check from State Farm around, it would get eaten up, & dissappear before too long if I didn't soon put it to good use!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.