Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After suffering through innumerable trips to the dealer to try to resolve a vibration issue for over half a year that resulted in a new driveshaft, half shafts and finally a transmission (helped, but didn't fix the problem) I initiated a CAMVAP complaint in March of this year (you know, the one that takes about 70 days start to end as indicated on their website). Finally reached the stage of an eligibility tele-conference end of this week with maybe a hearing in a few more weeks and results maybe in August... I gave up. Hyundai Canada, you win, you wore me out. A good deal on a trade for a non-Hyundai vehicle came up and I grabbed it and ran. Its like a giant weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

So, what did I learn from my 32,000 km in a 2008 Limited......
It was a nice vehicle when it ran good (about half a year).
The dealer tried hard to fix it with tech support (?) from Hyundai Canada and were good while I continued to bring it in to them at my time and expense but stated "conflict of interest" when I decided to escalate the process and dropped me like a hot potato.
Hyundai Canada customer service is truly a lie .... there is no service and the brochure rants about the customer being #1, etc. are simply false advertising. As a Canadian, I'm ashamed they are a Canadian company. I have never been treated as badly by any organization.
CAMVAP is a painstaking slow process. particularly when Hyundai Canada delayed each step as long as they possibly could. As an example, a required response within 10 days lasted over a month with no reason given. CAMVAP staff (they are not a consumer advocate but an arbitration agency) must enforce their own rules or lose any credibility they have.
When I first bought my vehicle, there were no significant complaints on this website. Since then, there have been a number of recurring unresolved issues, strangly, most are from Canada (must be a high representation of Canadians on this site although I won't rule out non action by Hyundai Canada either).

What can I recommend to other owners or potential purchasers....

If you suspect a major problem, move on it quickly.
Don't accept delivery of a new vehicle without a good long test drive of the exact vehicle they will deliver to you. If something doesn't seem right about it, it probably isn't.
It doesn't pay to be co-operative and helpful with Hyundai, they don't know what that is and you'll end up a doormat. Squeeky wheel gets the grease...

All vehicle manufacturers produce some bad vehicles and I'm sure the Hyundai employee's on this site will bring that up quickly, but its the way you're treated when you end up with one that should define whether a company is good. My relationship with Hyundai has come to an end, I hope your vehicles are better then mine was and you don't have to go through the processes I did. Fare well and good luck....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry you had such problems. But, ultimately, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Problems like the one you describe can cause ulcers. Life's too short to be kept up at night by a mechanical device (though I'd be lying if I said I never was!).

I had a BMW 740iL that was the finest car I've ever driven, and in black, it looked great! But as problem after problem arose and it bled me for about $300 a month in repairs, I just couldn't stand it anymore and I sold it. I know exactly what you mean about the "weight being lifted"!

Good luck with your new ride. So, what did you get??

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (West Arm Rider @ Jun 22 2010, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335390
After suffering through innumerable trips to the dealer to try to resolve a vibration issue for over half a year that resulted in a new driveshaft, half shafts and finally a transmission (helped, but didn't fix the problem) I initiated a CAMVAP complaint in March of this year (you know, the one that takes about 70 days start to end as indicated on their website). Finally reached the stage of an eligibility tele-conference end of this week with maybe a hearing in a few more weeks and results maybe in August... I gave up. Hyundai Canada, you win, you wore me out. A good deal on a trade for a non-Hyundai vehicle came up and I grabbed it and ran. Its like a giant weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

So, what did I learn from my 32,000 km in a 2008 Limited......
It was a nice vehicle when it ran good (about half a year).
The dealer tried hard to fix it with tech support (?) from Hyundai Canada and were good while I continued to bring it in to them at my time and expense but stated "conflict of interest" when I decided to escalate the process and dropped me like a hot potato.
Hyundai Canada customer service is truly a lie .... there is no service and the brochure rants about the customer being #1, etc. are simply false advertising. As a Canadian, I'm ashamed they are a Canadian company. I have never been treated as badly by any organization.
CAMVAP is a painstaking slow process. particularly when Hyundai Canada delayed each step as long as they possibly could. As an example, a required response within 10 days lasted over a month with no reason given. CAMVAP staff (they are not a consumer advocate but an arbitration agency) must enforce their own rules or lose any credibility they have.
When I first bought my vehicle, there were no significant complaints on this website. Since then, there have been a number of recurring unresolved issues, strangly, most are from Canada (must be a high representation of Canadians on this site although I won't rule out non action by Hyundai Canada either).

What can I recommend to other owners or potential purchasers....

If you suspect a major problem, move on it quickly.
Don't accept delivery of a new vehicle without a good long test drive of the exact vehicle they will deliver to you. If something doesn't seem right about it, it probably isn't.
It doesn't pay to be co-operative and helpful with Hyundai, they don't know what that is and you'll end up a doormat. Squeeky wheel gets the grease...

All vehicle manufacturers produce some bad vehicles and I'm sure the Hyundai employee's on this site will bring that up quickly, but its the way you're treated when you end up with one that should define whether a company is good. My relationship with Hyundai has come to an end, I hope your vehicles are better then mine was and you don't have to go through the processes I did. Fare well and good luck....

·
Registered
501 Posts
QUOTE (West Arm Rider @ Jun 22 2010, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335390
Hyundai Canada customer service is truly a lie .... there is no service and the brochure rants about the customer being #1, etc. are simply false advertising.
Been there, done that. I agree with you. Luckily I had a great dealer (the owner, not the service) who was on my side.

Good luck with your new vehicle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Now the sad part of the story, some poor sap is going to get your lemon from a used car lot without a clue of what he's getting himself into or the history of the vehicles problems.

I'll second the part about test driving (not just around the block either) and going over your new vehicle thoroughly before you accept delivery.
Far easier to get things fixed before the dealer has your money than after!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts