Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be out of town for 3 weeks shortly (vacation), so the vehicle will be all by itself in my insulated garage.

Anything special I should be aware of? (I can't say I've ever had any vehicle not used for that period of time).

Oil was changed a month ago, it'll probably have half a tank of gas.

Neighbors will be checking on the house.

I thought I read someone say something about battery may drain or something? (get one of those trickle chargers or whatever)?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nicely garaged like that it should be just fine left alone IMHO...
I always leave my rides unlocked in the garage inside the locked garage when gone so that if any turd does break in, at least the vehicles won't be forced open for their valuables.
I'd just make sure to remove any food/snacks if any so any hungry little visitors don't have a camp out in your SF.
'Hope you're headed somewhere warm (if not skiing :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think your 2017 Santa Fe will be just fine left alone for three weeks. Good advice mentioned, but I think it'll be fine all on its own without any special attention given. You don't need a trickle charger.

Reactions: DINO2K

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Agree with the comments about making sure that there is nothing in the garage to attract rodents. If they find their way in a vehicle that sits for that long is a great place to nest.

Three weeks is right at the limit for the vehicle's normal parasitic load (The items that are always drawing a small amount of current) to start to create an issue. The power outlets usually power down with the key unless anyone modified them, but I'd still disconnect any charging devices or anything else that you might have in the vehicle.

If the garage is not heated to at least 45 degrees and especially if you know it falls to or below freezing in very cold weather .......If you wanted to be certain you could disconnect the negative battery cable while you are gone. You'll have to reset your radio and such when you return but you'll be guaranteed of not having to worry about a low battery. Weather support is one of the things I do for the County Emergency Management Agency, and looking at the upper air projections over the next 2-3 weeks there will be some very cold arctic air rotating through the area including around Albany.

It really comes down to your comfort level. Here is Erie I would definitely disconnect the battery, but my vehicles sit outside and it is even colder here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Last year/summer, I left my van and car in the garage for 5 weeks... Whole family went to Asia for vacation. When we got back, everything is fine.. Both started fine.

What did I do to prep them? Nothing special.. I put fuel stabilizer and filled it up(not too much.. Just below the full mark to allow for some exoansion) with gas. The car (Sonata), I did nothing. No stabilizer, just half tank gas.

So I think overall, yours will be fine. The only factor being, how strong your battery is to last the 3 weeks of winter you're gone.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!

It rarely gets below freezing in the garage, and even then it'll be about 25 or so (but that's when we're like -12 or something).

Yes, going to Hawaii for 3 weeks. LOL!
I consider it Hawaii "on the cheap".

I used my frequent flier miles for the plane tickets.
I used my timeshare to exchange with someone who had one in Maui. (week #1). Given that this time of year, Maui (Ka'anapali beach) is about $450/night, it only ran me $1200 for the room. Will save some money by using the kitchen in the timeshare.
I used my Capital One Venture "miles" (they had an offer years ago where they'd match up to 100,000 miles which was $500) to pay for the car rentals on Maui and on Big Island.
I have friends who live near Kona, on the Big Island, so mooching off them for a week. (Week #2)
Used my Hilton Honors points that I've been saving up for like 15 years for Honolulu (Week #3) to stay at the Embassy Suites (free breakfast and cocktails at happy hour).

LOL!

Assuming, of course, that the weather doesn't wreak things over here on the East Coast with flights.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Costco is selling battery tenders for 30 bucks, hooking that up would help out the battery. if you don't buy that brand, then make sure whatever you buy is a FLOAT (not trickle) charger. 3 weeks for a battery that's only a year or so old should be fine without it though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While your in Hawaii and you get a text message that says...

Emergency Alert
BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO YOUR GARAGE BACK HOME THAT STORES YOUR HYUNDAI SANTA FE, REMOVE IT AT ONCE. THIS IS NOT A DRILL".... just wait 38 minutes and if nothing has happened to your Santa Fe, you should be OK.

What? Too soon?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts