Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new GT sport last weekend. The 5/60 can be extended To 10/100k to match powertrain. I'm going through a local dealer that offered to take payments at 0% Apr, but will cost anywhere from $1800-2000.
Thoughts on getting it? I think the roadside and towing will extend to 10 years too. I have 2 days to decide.. Of course the only thing that was worrying was the DTC considering what the Tucson and Ford went through. But the clutch is a non warranty item anyways.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Extended warranties are a tricky thing... some people will say they are just another way for the dealership to get more money from you and some will say that they might be useful.

I got the extended warranties on both of our new Tucson's... am I a fool? Perhaps... only time will tell. It's long term insurance that you may never make a claim on.

How many people pay for an AAA membership at $100-200 a year and never call for a jump start? But they keep paying it... what's the difference.

Get the warranty if YOU think that YOU want it, and don't mind paying for it. You might never use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as the vehicle keep running without a lot of issues, ill always keep it. Very true on the gamble, but it pay for a dodge ram transmission when techs said it was out at 48,000 miles.

This one is just undecisive mostly because I don't know how the DTC will behave. Ford focus and fiestas were a money disaster with some needing 3 clutch jobs in 30k miles. That's a $1000-1500 not covered under warranty. So if this car starts doing the same..I'd trade in immediately. Therefore it would cost me the extended warranty. But if Hyundai engineering has this proven not to cause issues like Ford, then its worth it. Seeing as how Hyundai immediately recalled the Tucson, they're on top of things.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
It sounds like you would unload the car pretty quickly if it developed issues within the first year or so regardless of the warranty. As such, the warranty would be a waste, if the vehicle makes it out past a year the power train warranty is still the major cost and that has the 10 year. Other than electronics not sure the warranty is a good decision given what seems like a high cost to me. I would have thought in the 1,200 range

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
The only way I would get an extended warranty is if Hyundai itself was the insurer. Most are private companies which you have no leverage to work with.

If nothing else be sure to find out who the insurer is and to review their ratings as to how they pay out before signing the deal.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Agree only factory extended warranty is worth consideration.

Also figure a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty SHOULD be worth between $500 and $1000 on private sale after original warranty expires (ie. after 5 years). So cost to original owner is approx. $1000-$1500 (say $1,250) spread over however many years the car goes past the first 5. If car sold in Year 6, one year's coverage cost the full $1,250 (ouch!); if Year 7, $600/yr; Year 8, $400/yr, etc.

As mentioned, everything hinges on how long you plan on owning the vehicle.

Oh, and if the vehicle's electronics are not FULLY covered by the extended warranty, it's not worth the paper it's printed on IMO. AC's only gonna run you $1,000 max, everything else is under powertrain to 10 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer where I bought the car had a 3rd party warranty that was not good, didn't offer 10 years, and small print of only up to $80 tow coverage and 5 days rental. I removed it off contract and went to my local dealer I bought my 14 veloster from.

The warranty from them is the Hyundai protection plan platinum (wrap bumper to bumper) for 10 years but make whatever payments I wish on it at 0% interest. My 14 veloster 10 year was $1750 plus 3.9% so I expect cost to be same.

It would cover such things as electronic and A/C components, not anything that is usage related like belts, hoses. Brakes, and most importantly clutches. That is why you see so many Focuses on sales lots, the clutches going out at 10k miles. I wouldnt off the vehicle unless it had a history of clutch problems like that. Would then make no sense paying $2k for a warranty on year 6-10 when youve already paid $3k in clutch jobs the first couple years.
But I did read a comment from a service guy that said he's only seen 2 dtc velosters with clutch issues the time he's been there. So it seems like a good reliability rate as compared to Fords 2011- 2017 fiestas and focuses dtc's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Recently saw an article on Consumer Reports on this. They recommended against doing the extended warranty, dependent on how many miles you drive. If you are a low to average mileage driver - aka 10-12K a year, they recommend spending the money when the manufacturer warranty is almost up, because by then you can see how reliable the car has been. However, if you're a higher mileage driver, especially like 20-25K a year, the warranty becomes worth it because it increases the mileage on the bumper to bumper, because you're doing that mileage in the amount of time the original warranty would be up.

My wife's 15 Sonata - she drives easily 18K a year just to work and back, plus whatever other trips we take it on (we easily put 24K on it last year), so we got the extended warranty. On my GT (which I'm buying in about a month or two) - I do like maybe 12K a year because I work from home, so we probably won't do the extended warranty. If the car seems reliable in a few years, I'll decide then whether to do a warranty and find a good reputable one and just lay out the cash then.

--*Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK thank you. I didn't get it, even though I have until today to purchase it before he said the warranty will fall into a used car price. It would be anywhere between $1800-2000. My '14 veloster was $1750 bought new and didn't use it so to accident, but they are giving me a $1000 back in which I never knew regarding totaled cars.
I'm low miles with a motorcycle, probably 8k a year on auto. My veloster only had 30k miles not one issue mechanically.

I spoke to a relative on it who advised to save myself the $2k. He has a 2003 base model accent he bought new when they were really inexpensive ($7k). Under the 5/60k warranty his speedometer needle flutters Intermittently. After taking it in the dealer charged a $120 sensor and said being a wear item, repair is not under warranty. It cost him $300 and the problem still exists so it wasn't the sensor and didn't bother going back. The actual computer would probably be a wear item as well. He still has it 15 years later with 95,000 miles on it, no other problems. Other than his steering wheel is down to the metal bar where his hand is gripped onto.

So it's a gamble..only big components will be covered. But I've also read some people 's blown engines not covered because a non engine component didn't cause the failure. The radiator thermostat failed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought the DCT transmission is covered 10 years or 100 K miles, same as the regular automatics and engine. Can someone explain this, please?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I thought the DCT transmission is covered 10 years or 100 K miles, same as the regular automatics and engine. Can someone explain this, please?
The way auto industry progresses these days, are you sure you are going to keep car longer than 5 years?
To my knowledge all extended warranties start AFTER 'standard' warranty expires; unless they cover stuff NOT covered by regular warranty.
Look at new Jetta, MB A class. Now they are coming with complete digital dashboard - speedo, tacho, navi, etc. No more analog dials. In 5 years updated GT will have all this... In 15 years we will have the whole windshield one big LCD...
So no, unless you want to keep car longer than 5 years, do not waste money on extended warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts